Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

What's up with "even red hood is...!!" that I keep seeing from some Tim fans? Jason has an old history with Bruce that existed years before Tim did and has been a family since day one. He is Tim's predecessor, not the other way around and Tim isn't entitled for things over Jason.

And for the topic, we already have a threads with the same people saying the same things regarding this issue. If you are a fan of him, you have a show starring him that will come out next year to look forward to and maybe a YJ book will relaunched with it. So, he isn't being ignored.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    One problem is that they can't really return him to his Everyman role, since it is to long ago that they abandoned this direction (and they kind of have Duke for that now).

Another problem is that a Red Robin Solo would be very similar to a Nightwing (if no one comes up with a really unique direction for the book), that wasn't much of a problem during his first Red Robin series, since Dick was Batman at the time, but now he is back to beeing Nightwing.
    Yim can't be an everyman anymore because (especially) Tynion has played him up as this super-genius who has computer brain, etc etc. There's no relatable everyman in that. Super Gary Stu is all he is.

Fantastic Member

One problem is that they can't really return him to his Everyman role, since it is to long ago that they abandoned this direction (and they kind of have Duke for that now).

Another problem is that a Red Robin Solo would be very similar to a Nightwing (if no one comes up with a really unique direction for the book), that wasn't much of a problem during his first Red Robin series, since Dick was Batman at the time, but now he is back to beeing Nightwing.
    I partially agree with you. The one who essentially takes Tim's role in the batfamily is Duke,not Damian. Damian has been a solo Robin and barely teams up with Batman since Rebirth. Duke keeps appearing in Batman and TEC,plays the relatable everyman role. He is Batman's newest apprentice who is better than Robin.
    On the other hand I think a Red Robin run would be more similar to a Oracle book instead of Nightwing.
    Last edited by Onthetrapeze; 07-14-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think Damian is serving the same purpose Dick did in 1938--he's giving young readers a gateway character into the comics.
    I kinda doubt Damian is a "gateway character" for "young readers".
    Hell, how many "young readers" are attracted to comic books specifically because of Damian?
    How many "young readers" even bother with DC comics these days? Aren't they more likely to go with manga if they choose anything like a comic book?

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Isnt Damian the genius? I thought he had like every degree ever by the time he was 6.
    But does he have the wisdom necessary to properly apply all of his knowledge?

Damian was the first blow, then the new52 was the next major blow. The character really hasn’t recovered from those.

I always felt like they should’ve made his new persona a little more different too. Red Robin isn’t even really a good name, just kinda makes him sound like a 2nd rate Robin rip off. I know it’s just a name, but a little more originality would’ve helped.

I’d read a Red Robin solo though. He’s just in a place now where it’s hard for him to stand out. Nightwing and Red Hood have both established themselves. Tim missed out on all that during 52, a solo relaunch with everybody else at that time would’ve helped him out a lot. Instead we only got him with the TT, and that was a pretty forgettable run from the get go. I love Tim, but now Red Robin just seems to be a face in the bat family crowd.

Seems like he picked up some steam during Tec, so give him a chance with a good writer and who knows.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Damian was the first blow, then the new52 was the next major blow. The character really hasn’t recovered from those.
    Ithink the first blow was identity crisis.

I think he could be in a better position, if the writers had post flashpoint put some efford in having interactions between the Batfamily members, but unfortunately that was barely done, and especially Tim got often side lined. And being "killed" in TEC and out of the story for a year was also not really what the character needed.

Ithink the first blow was identity crisis.
    Yeah that sucked a lot out of the character for really no good reason. I would’ve mentioned that but I try my best to forget about IC in general.

Ya, IC is were it started to go downhill with him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think Damian is serving the same purpose Dick did in 1938--he's giving young readers a gateway character into the comics. Damian is a fantastic creation and Morrison did it perfectly. He made a big Damian fan out of me, and now I like him almost as much as Dick and Jason.
    I think Damian is a lot of things but I don't really see him as a "gateway character" as Robin.

Ultimate Member

HOW???? Tim was never limited to one page cameos like Duke.

Why is Duke always the whipping boy? 1 mini, fridge in Detective Comics and plenty of one panel cameos. Tim 2 leads in badly done Teen Titan books, an arc in Detective and whatever butchering he is getting in Doomsday Clock. So HOW is Duke pushing him out of the picture? Damian-I could see but not Duke.

And why would there be an issue if a Red Robin book was like Nightwing? Both had books when he was Robin. No one complained. Both lead teams with Titans & YJ. No one complained.

And for the topic, we already have a threads with the same people saying the same things regarding this issue. If you are a fan of him, you have a show starring him that will come out next year to look forward to and maybe a YJ book will relaunched with it. So, he isn't being ignored.
    He is being ignored by the COMIC side.

What you just described is the nonsense we have seen mainly with POC and Tim's generation-they get to be in tv show and suddenly background or MIA in comics.

What good is that tv show to someone who wants to read about Tim?

What good is that show if more than HALF the cast is MIA in comics and it's raining excuses as to why they are not there. Mainly lead by folks who HATE those guys in the first place.

No one wants to hear MAYBE a YJ book. They have had 7 years to toss one out. Instead we got 12 years of Tim's generation getting trashed along with Jaime Reyes & Jason Rusch.

It has gotten to the point of why should anyone support (blank) when its obvious our support doesn't matter.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    What's up with "even red hood is...!!" that I keep seeing from some Tim fans? Jason has an old history with Bruce that existed years before Tim did and has been a family since day one. He is Tim's predecessor, not the other way around and Tim isn't entitled for things over Jason.
    I don't see that happening in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I kinda doubt Damian is a "gateway character" for "young readers".
    Hell, how many "young readers" are attracted to comic books specifically because of Damian?
    How many "young readers" even bother with DC comics these days? Aren't they more likely to go with manga if they choose anything like a comic book?

But does he have the wisdom necessary to properly apply all of his knowledge?
    Super Sons seems to have a pretty good young readers audience. Which, to me, indicates that DC should think about a counterpart to DCSHG, either for a general audience, or for boys specifically. (Because I don't think the mainline continuity, which is definitely aimed at a mostly male audience, is very appropriate for the audience age that DCSHG is shooting for.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He is being ignored by the COMIC side.

What you just described is the nonsense we have seen mainly with POC and Tim's generation-they get to be in tv show and suddenly background or MIA in comics.

What good is that tv show to someone who wants to read about Tim?

What good is that show if more than HALF the cast is MIA in comics and it's raining excuses as to why they are not there. Mainly lead by folks who HATE those guys in the first place.

No one wants to hear MAYBE a YJ book. They have had 7 years to toss one out. Instead we got 12 years of Tim's generation getting trashed along with Jaime Reyes & Jason Rusch.

It has gotten to the point of why should anyone support (blank) when its obvious our support doesn't matter.
    What show are people watching that stars Tim or Red Robin, because YJ certainly wasn't that show. But ya, they hate Tim and his generation. Thats why they kicked other generations to the curb with the new 52, but kept Tim and his generation, despite the shorten time line, and tried to launch a line around them.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-14-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    HOW???? Tim was never limited to one page cameos like Duke.

Why is Duke always the whipping boy?
    Duke hasn't much to do with Tim's problem, it is just that if DC would like to do book similar to Tim's Robin series during the 90s, Duke would be at the moment a better fit for it than Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    it reminds me of this hilarious meta scene from young Justice

That really is meta, because Impulse's solo actually had just been cancelled at the time.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They should just retire him. 4 Robins in continuity is just too many, and he is by far the one with the least amount of material to work with. We have a current Robin, the original Robin who is a far bigger deal and was the first to graduate to an adult hero and strike out on his own (and who struggles himself, so what chance does Tim have?), and the former Robin who died and came back as an anti-hero/villain. What direction is there to cover with him that isn't being done by one of the others? Red Robin didn't take off because it was a stupid name, and Bruce/Dick/Damian function more interestingly as a unit than Bruce/Dick/Tim ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Isnt Damian the genius? I thought he had like every degree ever by the time he was 6.
    Damian also doesn't have a personality that makes him easy to get along with. For all his competence, he is still a bratty kid that the other characters didn't like when they first met him. Gary Stu's are loved by everybody and are never wrong. It's why his current interactions with them feel way more earned.