Extraordinary Member

Default Animated Superman Respect Thread

Hello. This is my first attempt a making a Respect thread, so please bare with me if I make any errors.

We all know that Superman is one tough customer. so tough, in fact, that we often resort to using his adaptational counterparts in matches, because he's simply easier to find good foes for.

In recognition of that, I've decided to make a Respect thread cataloguing Superman's feats from his animated in incarnations. If I'm able to do so, this thread will cover the Fleischer Shorts, the Superfriends show, the DCAU stuff, The Batman, Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, etc. Although that really depends on availability of sources, more than anything.

Because this is my first attempt at something like this, I'm gonna start with something small and Manageable: The Superman Anniversary short, originally released for his 75th anniversary, and then released again for his 80th.

In later installments I will likely break this into sections of Speed, power, etc. but since the short is basically 2 minutes long I'll go chronologically here.

- In the beginning, we get the inconic Action Comics Number cover of him lifting a car over his his head and then tossing it aside. This article provides a list of options for what sort of Car Superman might be lifting in this image. Assuming that it is a 1937 DeSoto Touring Sedan, then the car would weigh 3,148 lbs (0:08) (Strength Feat)

- Superman travels to the top of the Daily Planet building. While he appears to leap, it is possible that he is flying. He dis definitely flying once he reaches the Apex of his travel though. The Height of the Daily Planet Building varies, so I can't give a 100 percent accurate calc for this feat. In the Christopher Reeves Superman Movies, the Planet is 37 stories all. Unfortunately, the short does not provide an acceleration, so I can't calc the force needed here (0:18) (Strength Feat?)

- Superman destroys a propeller Aircraft, without taking any damage to himself (0:26) (Strength Feat) (Durability Feat)

- Superman punches Lex Luthor through a Brick Wall (0:28) (Strength Feat)

- Dodges a Shrink ray from Brainiac (0:40) (Reaction Feat)

- Tanks a tackle from Bizarro, who is theoretically his equal in strength. He then throws Bizarro away, theoretically overcoming the strength of Superman's own flight. This exchange occurs in an arctic region (0:45) (Durability Feat) (Strength Feat)

- Puts out a fire using Super Breath (0:54)

- Tanks a punch from Muhamad Ali. Assuming this occurs under the Same conditions as the Comic Fight, Superman is depowered during this time. (1:02) (Durability feat. )

- Survives in the Upper Atmosphere/Vaccum of Space. (1:05) (Durability Feat)

- Survives being crashed into by Dooms Day and then several punches. Doomsday has few feats, but he is large, so this is still a feat (1:13) (Durability Feat)

- Lifts at least Two supervillains into the air during Kingdom Come Homage (1:29) (Strength Feat)

- Is slammed into the door of a bank vault and dents it (1:37) (Durability Feat)

I saw your post in downtown and thought it’d be DCAU supes. Extensive though, good luck!
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I saw your post in downtown and thought it’d be DCAU supes. Extensive though, good luck!
    I'll get to him eventually.

Still deciding what do do my next post on. I'm leaning towards
    1. His appearences on The Batman
    2. His appearences on Batman Brave and the Bold
    3. The Fleischer Shorts

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I'll get to him eventually.

Still deciding what do do my next post on. I'm leaning towards
    1. His appearences on The Batman
    2. His appearences on Batman Brave and the Bold
    3. The Fleischer Shorts
    That’s a pretty good order actually imo

Extraordinary Member

Thanks. I hope I'm up to this task

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Thanks. I hope I'm up to this task
    I think you got this

Incredible Member

Try JL and JLA. Then there's the various movies.
    1 Superman/Batman: Public Enemy
    2 Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
    3 All Star Superman
    4 Justice League: War
    5 Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

That should be enough to start you off.
    Last edited by Howard Allan; 07-15-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Superman's Appearances in The Batman

Strength Feats:

- Under the affects of Kypronite, Kicks Metallo off of him with enough force to send him flying through the air, and embed him into a stone wall. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1) (Note: A kick from Batman on a Zipline also sent Metallo flying, which would imply that Metallo is not heavy. However Bruce has several low-key superhuman feats in the episodes, so that's not a gurantee that Metallo is lightweight)

- After the Kryptonite is removed from the area, and he has a moment to recover, Superman catches a punch from Metallo casually. Metallo had previously tossed an engine around, and punched the ground Hard Enough to send a high tech motorcyle into the air.Punch appears to cause some sort of shockwave on impact. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Sends Metallo flying several dozen feet into the the air with an uppercut. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Pushes one side of a garbage crusher into the other side, disabling Metallo. Metallo had previously walked off being struck by the Batmobile and being caught in a gas explosion with no damage to his mechanical. However, Superman notes that Metallo's actual body isn't scratched, just out of power (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Throws a lead canister into the sun from space, with visual confirmation of the canister entering the Sun in what is framed as an immediate time frame. Impact kicks up a large amount of 'smoke' for lack of a better word, but the size scaling here is wonky (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Smashes through a warehouse wall. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- While his powers are weakened by Red Sun Light, tosses a wooden crate several feet into Bane, destroying the crate on impact. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- While affected by Red Sun Light, manages to break free from being frozen by Mr. Freeze. This sends large chunks of ice flying through the air with enough force to known Black Mask's goons over (and possibly unconscious). (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- After recovering from the Red Sunlight, Back hands a forklift several feet. Then punches Bane into crates, knocking him out. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Smashes a partially build warbot (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Smashes through a steel door in the Batcave. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Rips a machine the size of his own body out of it's foundation, and hurls it at Robin with enough force to tear through a metal catwalk. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Grapples evenly with Batman's power armor, which had earlier punched severe dents in a thick metal door. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Tosses the mostly intact flaming wreckage of a car. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Punches Batman's power armor to at least a city block away. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Rips the Bat armor apart. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Destroys several warbots through ripping, tossing, and punching. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Staggers a building sized warbot with several strikes, then catches it as it falls. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- an Android with Superman's powers holds an alien warcraft in place, but it escapes with a boost. (Lost Heroes Part 2)

- Once Superman regains his powers, he tosses his android duplicate over the horizon. (Lost Heroes Part 2)

Speed Feats:

- Is picked up by Satelites designed to move faster than sound, which Batman uses to help narrow down where he lives in Metropolis, and figure out his identity. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Flies to Space from what appears to be the Yucatan Penninsula casually, then flies back to America equally casually. Definitely far beyond the atmosphere. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Implied to fly from Metropolis to Gotham in 90 seconds. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Evades attacks from Clayface. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Stays ahead of Robin's Jetpack, which was fast enough to catch Batman when he fell out of the sky. Robin explicitly took off after Batman began falling.(The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Catches up to an army of Luthor's warbots after they take off. Luthor's plane required this bots to rapidly travel the globe and take over military bases, meaning their travel speed is presumably quite fast. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Outruns several Rockets. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Flies into space and Dog fights with Joining spacecraft armed with Kryptonite Lasers (Lost Heroes Part 2)

Durability Feats:

- Dazed briefly after being punched through some speaker. Metallo was doing the punching, however it seems as though his kryptonite doesn't kick in until after it's unveiled. However, no visible damage is done (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Tackled through a stone wall by Metallo under effects of Kryptonite (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Takes a string of punches from Metallo, with the final one launching him into a Brick wall, spider-cracking the wall. Then falls 10-15 ft to the sidewalk, all under effects of Kryptonite. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Tossed into a pile of Junk by Metallo, under Kryptonite (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Survives in Space with no difficulty or equipment (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Flies through a warehouse wall without taking any damage(The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Punched several feet into a stack of crates by Bane while weakened by a Red sun ray, destroying them. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Takes hits from Clayface while affected by Red Sunlight. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Endures blast attacks of unknown power from Black Mask's goons while affected by Red Sun ray. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Frozen solid by Mr. Freeze while affected by Red Sun. Survives but forced to take a knee after escaping from it. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- The Red Sunlight ray is shown to knock Mr. Freeze out when he is accidentally struck. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- A small chunk of Kryptonite weakens him enough that Batman can break from of his grasp. However, at the time he is also dosed with Kryptonite Mind control dust. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Survives a fall from height in the air, which crates a huge crater in the pavement. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Is pushed back by a barrage of exploding Batarangs and then buried in Rubble. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Is, for lack of a better descriptor, Seismic tossed into a car from the sky by Batman's armor. The Car then explodes. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Knocked through several building walls into a truck by Robin's rocket Launchers. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Tanks energy blast from Luthor's warbots. Later withstands a prolonged bombardment by several Warbots (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Is knocked into a pile of oversized toys by the Thagomizer of a Robotic Stegosaur (Lost Heroes Part 1)

- Survives being struck by an android with his powers, without his powers. (Lost Heroes Part 1)

- Survived being struck by an android with Hawkman's powers, without his powers. At this point that the androids are not aware of their full capabilities (Lost Heroes Part 2)

- Depowered Superman shoots the android version of himself with a few blasts of a Kryptonite Laser Built by Batman. Thought weakened, the android still manages to fight back (Lost Heroes Part 2)

- Superman Android displays no reaction to an electrified Bo Staff (Lost Heroes Part 2)

Heat Vision:

- Confirmed to have it by Black Mask, who believes effects of Red Sun weaken Superman enough that he cannot melt the Ice he is trapped in. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Precisely cuts ropes binding Lois Lane without harming her (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Slices easily through Luthor's warbot. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Destroys a Robotic Stegosaur and a robotic Dog built by Toyman. (Lost Heroes Part 1)

- Superman-Android Ruptures a steam pipe after being weakened by a kryptonite laser (Lost Heroes Part 2)

- Destroys several alien fighter ships. (Lost Heroes Part 2)

Sensory Abilities:
    - Asseses the Damage to Metallo's body despite it being totally obscured by the Garbage Crusher. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Uses X-Ray Vision to see through Batman's cowl. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- My have detected Lois' location in Gotham from Metroppolis. It is never specified if this happened, or if there was a ransom note. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Locates Batman with X-Ray vision through a ceiling. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

Other:

- Clark Kent Disguise is a bit on the lazy side, but not bad

- Luthor notes that Kryptonite needs to be of sufficient size to drastically weaken Suprman. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Stated to be invulnerable to spores, and germs, and Bacteria. However, lacing Poison Ivy's mind control spores with powdered Kryptonite makes them effective on him. (The Batman/Superman Story part 1)

- Pins Batman and Robin to that walls of the Batcave with a prolonged burst of Super Breath. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

- Survived being doused with Atrazine, a plant killer, which undoes the effects of Ivy's mind control. Batman and Robin required gas masks to survive. (The Batman/Superman Story part 2)

Extraordinary Member

Now, It's time to Analyze the Silver Age Throwback that is, Brave and the Bold Superman

Strength Feats:

- stops Luthor's rocket in it's tracks. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Smashes Luthor's rocket car to pieces with one punch. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Overpowers Metallo (Battle of the Superheroes)

- A large key is shown out side the fortress of Solitude. In the Silver Age comics that this show homages, that Key weighs a great amount. We do not get a weight given here, but it's still a huge metal key (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Punches away energy blasts in the city of Kandor. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Tosses a frisbee into orbit while playing catch with Krypto. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Wraps Toyman up with his own pogo stick. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Smashes a large dent in a set of stone steps. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Knocks Toyman over by with a shockwave created by punching his own palm. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Ties a suspension bridge into a bow. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Lifts the dome of city hall off the walls and tosses it away intact. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- backhands Batman, whose in power armor heavy enough to crack street pavement, through several buildings. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Knocks Batman into the street, creating a massive crater. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- States that he is more powerful than a locomotive. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- States that he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Tosses Krypto into orbit. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Rips a Stone pillar out of it's foundations, and strikes the ground with it hard enough to open a massive fissure in the streets. (Battle of the
    Superheroes)

- Squeezes batman's metal helmet. Would have crushed it and Batman's head if the Red Kryptonite hadn't worn off. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Hits a Home run ball that passes the moon of titan before a regulation baseball game can end. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Catches a cop car thrown by Lex's Power Armor. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Actually lifts the big key outside the Fortress (Triumvirate of Terror)

Speed Feats:

-States that his speed is sufficient to retrieve medicine from any hospital in the world or a Tropical Rainforest. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Catches up to Luthor's Rocket craft. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Dodges a barrage from Toyman's tanks. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Catches a mini rocket. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Closes the distance to Batman before another weapon can fire.

- After he sends Batman flying, he speeds behind him and states that he is faster than a speeding Bullet. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Passes the bases on a baseball field in an instant. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Evades a Baseball thrown by Luthor, who is wearing a pitch enhancing sleeve. (Triumvirate of Terror)

Durability Feats:

- Is embedded in a wall by Titanium fists, and doesn't take any damage.(Battle of the Superheroes)

- Tanks a volley of shots from Toy Man's Toy soldiers, then is knocked back by numerous explosive rounds from his mini-tanks. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Unharmed by a rocket going off in his hand. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Tanks Krypto's heat vision and headbutt. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Krypto retuns from orbit fast enough to catch fire, and tackles him. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Is pushed back but not harmed by a combo from Batman's power armor. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Utterly unharmed by Batman's explosives. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Is pushed back by a laser from Luthor's armor, which previously destroyed a Cop Car. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- casually flies through the arctic (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Is slammed into an ice wall by The Cheetah, who is amped up by "The full mystical power of Urz-Kartaga". Superman is stated to be "Particularly vulnerable" to magic. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Smashed into a Super computer by Cheetah. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Scratched by Cheetah, who has Kryptonite based Nail Polish. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Tossed into a stone replica of Krypton held by large statues of Jor El and Lara, then falls to the ground and has the stone kryton land on him. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Tossed with enough force to smash through a metallic stair case and drag an indent in the ice floor. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Takes a hit from Luthor's armor after being exposed to Kryptonite. (Triumvirate of Terror)

Heat Vision Feats:

- vaporizes Toyman's tanks. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Burns a hole in a fancy coat given to him by Jimmy Olson. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Burns two holes in the pavement after being deflected by Batman

- Uses precision heat that can't be seen to disable Weather Wizard's wand. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Disables Luthor's perpetual energy source. (Triumvirate of Terror)

Super Breath:

- Demolishes a group of Toyman's toy soliders with Superbreath. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Uses super breath to move clouds in front of the sun and transform them into a storm cloud, in order to ruin a sunny day at the beach. (Battle of the Superheroes)

-Sends a crowd of protesters flying. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Freezes Cheetah's feet together (Triumvirate of Terror)

Sensory Powers:
    - Jimmy Olson's signal watch is used, indicating that Superman can here infrasonic frequencies (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Detects a silent alarm from a large distance away via hearing (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Super senses let him tell that Jimmy Olson's vitals are completely normal. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Uses X-ray and Telescopic vision to locate Luthor during a jewel heist

- Uses X-Ray vision to uncover Luthor's pitch enhancer.

Other:

- Decent disguise as Clark Kent. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- tricks Mxy into saying his name backwards with a knock-knock joke. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Traps a cat in a tree. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Uses Super Ventriloquism to deceive Luthor. (Battle of the Superheroes)

- Predicts Luthor's kryptonite due to experience. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Uses sleight of hand to fake shoving a straw up his nose. (Triumvirate of Terror)

- Still active 50 years into the future. (Triumvirate of Terror)