Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I like the Kingdom Come concept where he ages slower but still ages. Logically speaking I suppose he could get to a point where he stops aging altogether if he absorbs enough sunlight. Action #1000 kind of implied he's immortal. Have no idea how many of those stories are meant to be canon though.
    I don't like the immortal god idea. I love the "Thy Kingdom Come" ending page from the JSA story and to me that is the best ending for Clark.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 07-16-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder if he'd still have his powers by that point. Like, not fight villains level powers but if somebody tried to mug him he'd still be able to take them out. And why would they still have glasses 1000 years in the future?
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm one of the few I've ever met who likes the idea of him aging along with everyone else. His story having a definite end sits better with letting the DCU move on and revere his legend, then inspire the Legion and so on. Sometimes I even like him going a short while before Lois. The notion that time is the one thing even the Man of Steel can't evade is one I'm fond of. It really is all academic, though, as Superman will stay young and vital so long as we're publishing stories regularly within a contemporary continuity.

I don't dislike a slow-aging Superman, but it's not my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I wonder if he'd still have his powers by that point. Like, not fight villains level powers but if somebody tried to mug him he'd still be able to take them out. And why would they still have glasses 1000 years in the future?
    He retired from being Superman in that ending, so he simply resumed his life as Clark Kent/Kal-El of Krypton. The glasses may not be required, but they're a memento from his upbringing and life at the planet, like a watch from long-dead parents or a survived spouse.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-16-2018 at 06:53 PM.

I've always liked the idea that he can't die of old age as long as he's exposed to yellow radiation...it just means that once Earth is gone, he can start a new chapter as a Universal Champion, and his days as Earth's Champion become akin to mythology & tales like Hercules. Legends.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Retired

Whenever this question comes up, I just see it as irrelevant. It's never going to matter in the main continuity. At best it might be used in an Elseworlds or on an alternate Earth. But in terms of the contemporary Superman it's never going to matter, because Superman exists in the now. In theory, sure, Superman could be near immortal--but, in theory, he could die tomorrow.

Here's two theories: 1) Because he draws energy from the sun, Superman will never die--his body will constantly regenerate itself. 2) Because Superman lives such a dangerous life and constantly struggles with cosmic forces that take a toll on his body, he will die at a young age.

In main continuity, when stories are set in the future--such as the Legion--it's probably best to have Superman out of the picture. What happened to him, we don't know. That way you're not tying anyone's hands.

I think the more interesting thing for speculation is the multiple generations that come after him. If each generation multiplies from the generation before, there should be billions upon billions of people with a blood connection to Superman in a thousand years. Yet we don't see this in the possible futures for the DCU, so what happened to the Superman family? I think there was a pogrom against them that expelled them to another part of the galaxy (or even another dimension).

I would like the idea of "Old SM", kind of like; "King Thor". It would be fun to watch him in the future with his great great grandchildren (he would age much slower because he is 100% Kryptonian), while his off spring would all be "Part Krytonian".

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Whenever this question comes up, I just see it as irrelevant. It's never going to matter in the main continuity. At best it might be used in an Elseworlds or on an alternate Earth. But in terms of the contemporary Superman it's never going to matter, because Superman exists in the now. In theory, sure, Superman could be near immortal--but, in theory, he could die tomorrow.

Here's two theories: 1) Because he draws energy from the sun, Superman will never die--his body will constantly regenerate itself. 2) Because Superman lives such a dangerous life and constantly struggles with cosmic forces that take a toll on his body, he will die at a young age.

In main continuity, when stories are set in the future--such as the Legion--it's probably best to have Superman out of the picture. What happened to him, we don't know. That way you're not tying anyone's hands.

I think the more interesting thing for speculation is the multiple generations that come after him. If each generation multiplies from the generation before, there should be billions upon billions of people with a blood connection to Superman in a thousand years. Yet we don't see this in the possible futures for the DCU, so what happened to the Superman family? I think there was a pogrom against them that expelled them to another part of the galaxy (or even another dimension).
    Kingdom Come does have his descendants in the future. The Superboy and Supergirl we see are his future great something grandchildren. I always liked the idea of him leaving Earth at some point later in his life and nobody knows what happened to him. In the pre-Crisis universe there was Laurel Kent of the reserve Legion. She was supposedly descended from Superman but they don't state who her great grandmother is. In the post-Crisis universe they made her some kind of sleeper agent for the Manhunters or something stupid. Because the post-Crisis universe wasn't allowed to have any connection between Superman and the Legion, I guess.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Irrelevant maybe the one of the best answers since as the generations of readers turn over, the whole saga just renews itself.

The "Example" of Superman being a cosmic being giving him Nigh - if not - full Immortality still makes the most since, and he would not age (no greying of hair) as his cells - upon renewal - would make perfect non-degrading replica images of themselves "every time" so an Eon could pass with no viable change to him at all!

Superman isn't human - he only looks the part as the aging process has been completely arrested in him. Unlike humans, whose cells interact with and are highly susceptible to "free base radicals" (positive ions) which causes cellular degradation on many levels, that promotes the aging process as the Man of Tomorrow would look exactly like he does, today!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I like the idea that Superman ages to about 55 and then is functionally immortal at the height of his powers. The golden god from DC 1,000, 000 I always took as a result of him living directly in the middle of the Sun and not what would happen to him had he not moved there.