View Poll Results: Do you blame Gambit for the Mutant Massacre?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 12.05%
  • No

42 50.60%
  • Partly to blame

31 37.35%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How much do you blame Gambit for the Mutant Massacre?

The Mutant Massacre was a pivotal moment in the X-Men history, one of our watershed moments. It is important to note that the story was written years before Gambit was ever introduced to the X-Men Books, somewhere around 1995-1997, it was heavily hinted Gambit had this dark history, so dark, Rogue could not even deal with it in her own mind until she was forced too. Readers finally learned in Uncanny X-Men 350 that it was Gambit who lead the Marauders into the Morlocks tunnels where the massacre took place.

How much of this was Gambit's fault? definitely a very complex debate. We all could argue reasons for and against Gambit's part in the massacre from him getting desperate and turning to Sinister for help, later feeling obliged to return the favour or Gambit was not naive enough to think the Marauders were going down just to have small talks with the Morlocks.

Sinister and his Marauders gets full responsibility but is it fair to say Gambit is just as responsible or just partially responsible?
    Last edited by Grindlelord; 07-14-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grindlelord View Post
    The Mutant Massacre was a pivotal moment in the X-Men history, one of our watershed moments. It is important to note that the story was written years before Gambit was ever introduced to the X-Men Books, somewhere around 1995-1997, it was heavily hinted Gambit had this dark history, so dark, Rogue could not even deal with it in her own mind until she was forced too. Readers finally learned in Uncanny X-Men 350 that it was Gambit who lead the Marauders into the Morlocks tunnels where the massacre took place.

How much of this was Gambit's fault? definitely a very complex debate. We all could argue reasons for and against Gambit's part in the massacre from him getting desperate and turning to Sinister for help, later feeling obliged to return the favour or Gambit was not naive enough to think the Marauders were going down just to have small talks with the Morlocks.

Sinister and his Marauders gets full responsibility but is it fair to say Gambit is just as responsible or just partially responsible?
    I don't blame him for the massacre. Remy's biggest "crime" to me was the cover-up of his part in the massacre conspiracy. In #45 to me, his attitude was covering his butt meant more to him than ending Rogue's emotional and psychological torment over what she had absorbed from him. I also blame him for the "Trial". If he come clean when he had the chance, there would not have been a "Trial". Remy's cover-up collapses and he ends up suffering the repercusions of that collapse.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Gambit played his role but the blame doesn't all fall on him. Mr. Sinister, Sabertooth, Mystique, and the rest of the Marauders all had a part in the massacre
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I don't blame him for the massacre. Remy's biggest "crime" to me was the cover-up of his part in the massacre conspiracy. In #45 to me, his attitude was covering his butt meant more to him than ending Rogue's emotional and psychological torment over what she had absorbed from him. I also blame him for the "Trial". If he come clean when he had the chance, there would not have been a "Trial". Remy's cover-up collapses and he ends up suffering the repercusions of that collapse.
    He felt rogue kept partially in the dark would be better than her finding out the whole truth and completely hating him. I don't excuse this but here was a man desperately in love with a woman, wanting to do anything to keep her love.

Fantastic Member

Dealing with Sinister never goes how you expect it to go. I don't blame him for the massacre, but yeah, he should have been a little more forthcoming about it probably 6-7 years (real time) before he did.

But he has kittens, so he gets a pass. ;D

Gambit was trialed for it and did get punished. Mostly by Rogue. It took a while to get redemption though. Now however it's all in the past.

I think same as with Bishop for shooting Xavier and hunting Hope.

BANNED

Just partly. I don't like Remy and MAYBE he should know better than helping Sinister. But it's pretty harsh laying so much on his feet, though I understand. The Mutant Massacre was some traumatic **** for the X-Men to live through. Anyone that took part in that, small as that part might be, would be seen in a bad light.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Gambit was trialed for it and did get punished. Mostly by Rogue. It took a while to get redemption though. Now however it's all in the past.

I think same as with Bishop for shooting Xavier and hunting Hope.
    They really should have done more for Bishop's redemption, though. If it was only "hunting Hope", but dude literally killed billions and made a world with cockroach overlords. That's just nasty. Not saying he's tarnished forever, but they should allow him to do more to reach full redemption. Leaving him on limbo so long was a bad idea.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grindlelord View Post
    He felt rogue kept partially in the dark would be better than her finding out the whole truth and completely hating him. I don't excuse this but here was a man desperately in love with a woman, wanting to do anything to keep her love.
    It was probably more than that, I mean she was already figuring it out and saying nothing was not helping. If he were only thinking of damage control, he would have talked, first to control the narrative, so to speak. He had suicidal guilt over it and likely massive ptsd.

But it can't really be his fault because it happened before he existed, so clearly it wouldn't of have happened no matter what he did.

BANNED

Well, you know, I never really cared about that. I never blamed Gambit for that.

Gambit didn't know precisely what the Marauders were going to do, and he intervened when he realized. He saved Marrow. Admittedly, he was hopelessly naive and should have realized what was going to happen - he may not have wanted to know, and that's not much of an excuse - but it's not like he made the conscious choice to kill them.

Also, especially given the retcon, it would have happened without him. His actions didn't cause it. Sinister would have found another guide.

So, on a scale of ten, like a two?

Hardly. If at all. Like others have said.. he didn't know what was going to happen, he did what he could when he learned what was happening. He just showed a little lack of judgement.

I don't fault him for it either. I think we all agree it would have happened one way or another but unfortunately they made him a part of it and he couldn't handle the aftermath. Gambit would have never lead them there had he known what was going to happen.

He got caught up in something beyond words horrible/tragic and he never confronted it which led to him desperately hiding it and it inevitably caused a lot of trust issues in his life. He's tried to atone for these events and he carried the weight of the guilt for a long time which only further proves what a good person he really is. He just didn't face it quick enough (and who could blame him?) but the secret he tried so desperately to conceal being brought to light was only thing that was going to free him of it. Of course, not without some severe consequences.

Gambit is at fault for his role in the MM. However he did not participate in any murders and almost died trying to stop it and save Marrow.

So in the end he is guilty of gross stupidity and a callous disregard for the Morlocks as he knew something bad was going to happen. He is also guilty of the cover up.

He however is not guilty of murder or responsible for any deaths.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    Gambit played his role but the blame doesn't all fall on him. Mr. Sinister, Sabertooth, Mystique, and the rest of the Marauders all had a part in the massacre
    Mystique? Mystique was leading Freedom Force and working for Val Cooper at the time of MM. The Messiah Complex doesn't happen for more than 20 years after the MM.
    Last edited by mikeb; 07-14-2018 at 10:23 AM.