View Poll Results: Do you blame Gambit for the Mutant Massacre?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 12.05%
  • No

42 50.60%
  • Partly to blame

31 37.35%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Did he believe that a man named Mister Sinister had a laudable end-goal in mind?

I don't blame him but personally I think it was a stupid idea to retcon himin to the Mutant Massacre

Gambit is guilty of trusting a guy called Mr Sinister and expect that nothing bad would happen. But as others had said, he did try to stop the murders when he realized what was going to happen, so in comparison with all the others involved, he doesn't deserve much of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Grindlelord View Post
    He felt rogue kept partially in the dark would be better than her finding out the whole truth and completely hating him. I don't excuse this but here was a man desperately in love with a woman, wanting to do anything to keep her love.
    So, to deal with his situation he paints himself into a corner? As long as Rogue can't recall the memories she stuffed deep into her subconscious, he'll be ok. But his unwillingness to trust Rogue with the truth about what she got from him caused her to walk out on him in X-Men#45. So Remy ended up in a catch 22 situation . Remy also didn't content with someone else finding out about his involment in the conspiracy. Remy's self esteme must have been pretty low to think Rogue would reject him over his involment in this.
    Last edited by mikeb; 07-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.

No blame. All he did was assemble the team. Sinister was going to slaughter the Morlocks regardless

BANNED

Not at all, doesn't mean I find anything interesting about gambit tough
    Honestly if gambit wasn't around they'd hired someone else, and why the hell would you need gambit to guide you to the morlock tunnels when you've got saber-tooth that's a better tracker. . . It literally makes no sense and it seems like it's added just to give gambit a cool dark mysterious past, can't believe I'm defending gambit, look what you've made me do. . . Hell I'm pretty sure gambit wouldn't hurt a fly, he's more of a meme character than anything and his mutant massacre "gambit" has never amounted to anything or had any lasting impact in his characterization

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Did he believe that a man named Mister Sinister had a laudable end-goal in mind?
    Maybe he wanted to open a left handed store

Last edited by wano; 07-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Partly to blame. The base of Gambit's story is that the guy makes poor life choices, and this was one of them.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grindlelord View Post
    He felt rogue kept partially in the dark would be better than her finding out the whole truth and completely hating him. I don't excuse this but here was a man desperately in love with a woman, wanting to do anything to keep her love.
    You sound familiar...
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    No but he was a kid that couldn't control his powers. He accidentally killed his brother in law and the explosions we're becoming more and more dangerous. Being a member of the underworld his connections put him in contact with someone that could help him. But it came with a cost. Seemed simple. Find a list of mercs. He does so. Sinister asks another errand. Take them down into the morlock tunnels. If I'm remembering Creed's rambling correctly from one of the books, Sinister knew Gambit wouldn't have the stomach and if he tried to interfere, Sinister gave orders to kill him. Which almost happened as Gambit did in fact attack the Marauders. Gutted and bleeding to death he was able to grab and save one child that was being hidden by her parents dead bodies.

He's not responsible for the massacre. Sinister would have done with or without his assistance but he was a tool to making it happen sooner rather than later.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Mister Sinister, a psychopath eugenicist, asked me to assemble a team of vicious mercenaries and then lead them to an isolated community of second rate mutants. Gee-whizz, I wonder how this will play out!

Gambit is either incredibly stupid or a morally bankrupt opportunist. Probably both.

Edit: He should have been tried and executed by the morlocks. That Antarctica nonsense was a sham.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 07-14-2018 at 09:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Gambit didn't know precisely what the Marauders were going to do, and he intervened when he realized. He saved Marrow. Admittedly, he was hopelessly naive and should have realized what was going to happen - he may not have wanted to know, and that's not much of an excuse - but it's not like he made the conscious choice to kill them.

Also, especially given the retcon, it would have happened without him. His actions didn't cause it. Sinister would have found another guide.

So, on a scale of ten, like a two?
    Medical care is expensive. Especially brain surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Gambit was trialed for it and did get punished. Mostly by Rogue. It took a while to get redemption though. Now however it's all in the past.

I think same as with Bishop for shooting Xavier and hunting Hope.
    It is not the same, Remy in his innocence did not think that Sinister was going to kill those mutants, in fact he tried to avoid it.

So he feels guilt because he took them to him, but he should not really feel guilty for that massacre, he really did not expect that to happen.

Bishop's thing is not comparable, he was a murderer, and he exterminated a lot of money in his travels in time to hunt Hope.

And magnet is worse even than all this XD.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Just partly. I don't like Remy and MAYBE he should know better than helping Sinister. But it's pretty harsh laying so much on his feet, though I understand. The Mutant Massacre was some traumatic **** for the X-Men to live through. Anyone that took part in that, small as that part might be, would be seen in a bad light.
    As much as Scott murdering Xavier? who was his mentor and his father figure, hummmm I think that is much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Mister Sinister, a psychopath eugenicist, asked me to assemble a team of vicious mercenaries and then lead them to an isolated community of second rate mutants. Gee-whizz, I wonder how this will play out!

Gambit is either incredibly stupid or a morally bankrupt opportunist. Probably both.

Edit: He should have been tried and executed by the morlocks. That Antarctica nonsense was a sham.
    You say that as if Sinister was world renowned. This is even before the X-Men knew who Sinister was and what he was about. He was scared and desperate and it made him act stupidly. And seeing as he was even then a professional thief... He wasn' completely morally bankrupt but it wasn't his strong suit. As a comic reader, you know all this information. It was given to you without having to work for it in a single book and then elaborated on several times since. At this point your just choosing to feel this way on reflex. It's a fictional character in a story that was retconed 12+ years after the fact.

Now Fantomex. There's a character to irrationally hate for reasons beyond logic.
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    It is not the same, Remy in his innocence did not think that Sinister was going to kill those mutants, in fact he tried to avoid it.

So he feels guilt because he took them to him, but he should not really feel guilty for that massacre, he really did not expect that to happen.

Bishop's thing is not comparable, he was a murderer, and he exterminated a lot of money in his travels in time to hunt Hope.

And magnet is worse even than all this XD.
    Don't bring poor Bishop into this. Marvel royally screwed his character up ten ways from Sunday. They made him into a raving, genocidal, mass murdering, psychopath. Without a dedicated arc or mini, which he hasn't gotten, he's basically irredeemable. You can't even say it's all good with the demon bear cop out. He murdered the entire population of Earth in the future. The whole effing planet. Billions people. This guy that loved in the 90s, this selfless hero... complete nutcase.
    Guild Member