Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The "Counter-X" run of X-Man.

It's still a high water mark for the overall "X" corner of things.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Nicienza's Cable/Deadpool: Cable.
    Morrison's New X-men: Emma Frost

Astonishing Member

Does it matter if it's the first run of X-Men comics I ever read? Because my favorite X-Men character ever is linked to one specific run. You see, I knew Jubilee already from the cartoon series, but she wasn't really much like the comics Jubilee in that. She was more like a Jubilee/Kitty Pryde amalgam, complete with her powers interacting badly with electronics. And even then, she was mostly around to just be "the kid". She didn't really start to seem that much like comics Jubilee, attitude and all, until season 5 when the show was on its last legs and I didn't even notice that until I rewatched it. So, yeah, my favorite X-Man on the cartoon was Beast, not Jubilee. But I got a subscription to Uncanny X-Men somewhere in the middle of the show's run, which was in the lead up to "Phalanx Covenant" and Generation X. So, Jubilee was getting some heavy character development as Scott Lobdell was building up to her changing teams. So, all that just kind of drew me to the character. Combine that with me finding a copy of the '89 Marvel Handbook that filled me in on her back story and the rest is history.

There are others.

X-Treme X-Men made me love Bishop with Chris Claremont's "future cop" take on the character.
    Wolverine and the X-Men made me love Kid Omega (aka Quentin Quire, another character that no one calls by their codename but me) when they juxtaposed his being anarchic against him being kind of pathetic (Quire truly is the Daffy Duck of the X-Men).
    Austen's run on the books got me to like Angel more, though I understand that isn't common.

Oh, and this may sound odd but I didn't like Kitty Pryde until I was able to go back and read Claremont's initial run for the first time. I know people kind of come to X-Men with the foregone conclusion that they've read Claremont already. But it was hardly a given back in the '90s considering it was often easier to find X-Men pogs on a store shelf than actual X-Men comics, especially trades and back issues. So, to me Kitty was "that girl from Excalibur that older fans like for some reason". it wasn't until some time in the late '90s/early 2000s that I learned to like Kitty Pryde and it was because I had discovered the Essential X-Men books.

Spurrier’s X-Men Legacy run made me absolutely love Legion and Blindfold, whereas previously I didn’t really care about either character.

Wild Child in X-Factor never cared for him before and only saw him basically as a dog in AOA but loved his characterization in X-Factor.

Also pretty much the Astonishing team in AOA loved Rogue before hand but Blink, Morph, Sabretooth, Wild Child, and Sunfire were characters I didn't care about until that book.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Cable/Deadpool - Cable & Deadpool
    Iceman by Sina Grace - Iceman
    U.S.Avengers - Sunspot & Cannonball
    New Mutants (2003) & New X-Men - Icarus, Dani Moonstar, Surge, Prodigy, etc.
    Jean Grey - O5 Jean Grey & Hope Summers
    All-New Wolverine - O5 Angel
    District X - Bishop
    Top DC: Batman, Wonder Woman, Damian Wayne, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Red Hood, Flash (Barry), Supergirl, Black Canary, & Green Arrow
    Top Marvel: Jean Grey, Ms. Marvel, Wolverine, Daredevil, Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, Magneto, Rogue, Storm, & Havok

Cable/Deadpool did a lot to make me love both characthers.

DISCLAIMER-- the following list is that of characters I didn't have strong opinions on. Its NOT that I didn't like them, but it wasn't until the listed authors that I sat up and took notice.

Shatterstar -- Peter David's X-Factor

Sunspot -- Al Ewing's New Avengers

Deadpool -- Rick Remender's X-Force

Cyclops -- Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men

Emma Frost -- Morrison's New X-Men

Cannonball -- Mike Carey's X-Team lead by Rogue

Gambit -- Marjorie Liu's X-23 & Astonishing X-Men

Namor -- Kieron Gillen's Uncanny X-Men

The entire cast of the recent Generation X -- Christina Strain

And I knooooow that there are more, but these are the first ones that spring to mind
    Last edited by Fokken; 07-15-2018 at 09:23 AM.

there are 2 that i can think of. I was never a big Banshee fan until i read the Phalanx Covenant, now i really like him. I also used to hate Sunfire until i read Remender's Uncanny Avengers. I'm glad to see Banshee is back in Astonishing, but Sunfire has been MIA for a bit

Multiple Man - Peter David's X-Factor

Cable - Cable and Deadpool

Sunspot - Ewing's New Avengers
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Every character Peter David touched on X-Factor, but especially Shatterstar. Prior to him the only people on that team I cared about were Monet and Rahne.

These threads make my heart sing because it’s all about the unexpected appreciation and positive creative outcome. Love it!

I did like him in CC's run but it was Simonson who made me love Cyke. She humanized him.

Corsair- Cyclops (2014)

Cable- X-cutioner Song

Jean Grey- X-factor, she was shown a flawed character there.

Havok- Mutant X

Banshee- Phalanx Covenant

Rachel Summers/Grey- Excalibur

Multiple Man-Peter David

Psylocke- Remender X-force

The O5- X-factor, lol.

Ultimate Member

PAD's Madrox mini made me like the character way more than I had in the original X-Factor days (which, IMO, didn't do him any favors, even when written by PAD, ditto the not-great Fallen Angels...). The PAD X-Factor run that followed made me a Madrox fan, and also fond of both Monet and Shatterstar and Rictor (none of whom really rang my bell back in the day).

I was always a fan of Frenzy, Sunspot, Rahne, etc. so recent-ish fun appearances by them are just gravy, for me.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    These threads make my heart sing because it’s all about the unexpected appreciation and positive creative outcome. Love it!
    Ditto.

10char