Default If batman can solve anyything,

Then why can't he figure out how to be happy and batman at the same time? The argument that he needs the pain from his parents death as a motivation has always bothered me. Yes that might be why you start out as a hero, but 20 years in, I personally think he could figure out how much he is needed, and another reason to fight crime along with that. I mean he knows who killed his parents so.......

If he is smart enough to outthink the riddler, beat Darkseid, and pretty much any other character he comes in contact with, your telling me he can't figure THIS one out. Seems to me like a lame excuse to keep a status quo.
    I know I am late to this, but I wanted the chaos of #50 to die down before asking this.

For 50% of Batman's publishing history he was "happy". He smiled and seemed to enjoy being Batman. This grim version has been engrained since 1986. Personally I have tired of the grim Batman (and at Marvel the tragic Daredevil).

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    For 50% of Batman's publishing history he was "happy". He smiled and seemed to enjoy being Batman. This grim version has been engrained since 1986. Personally I have tired of the grim Batman (and at Marvel the tragic Daredevil).
    I am also tired of the grim Batman. I don't want campy Batman either, but a little less dark would be fine.

Maybe he needs to listen to happier music as he swings around the rooftops of Gotham City?

The short answer is that it's not a matter of intelligence.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Maybe it's my cynicism but it seems more like the higher ups prefer him as grim dark Batman.

I agree it's more than that. I just wonder why the answer is never worked into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    The short answer is that it's not a matter of intelligence.
    I agree, not all problems are solved with intelligence. I just think they should be able to explore better options than the same ending every time.

BANNED

I think The World's Greatest Detective should be able to find his own personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermathrax View Post
    Then why can't he figure out how to be happy and batman at the same time? The argument that he needs the pain from his parents death as a motivation has always bothered me. Yes that might be why you start out as a hero, but 20 years in, I personally think he could figure out how much he is needed, and another reason to fight crime along with that. I mean he knows who killed his parents so.......

If he is smart enough to outthink the riddler, beat Darkseid, and pretty much any other character he comes in contact with, your telling me he can't figure THIS one out. Seems to me like a lame excuse to keep a status quo.
    I know I am late to this, but I wanted the chaos of #50 to die down before asking this.
    Because writers are lazy and Company higher ups are scared to do something new.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

I honestly don't see Bruce Wayne marrying anyone and being happy.... and not doing anything if he hears that Joker is causing another murder spree. He'd eventually go back to the tights. Wether or not his marriage can survive that is another story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Exactly.

Hell, even Year One didn't have Batman as some kind of tortured soul. Once he put on the cowl, the only angst he had was about whether he was upto the task of cleaning up Gotham...not about the darkness within him or the fact that he's doomed to unhappiness or anything like that.

The idea of Batman being this perpetually brooding figure is something that gradually crept into the comics in the late 80's/90's. Since then, there have been at least two attempts to have him, in-story, renounce his broody ways and embrace optimism - the post-OYL period and Batman Inc - and probably a ton of other ones as well. But 'grimdark' seems to be the default where Batman is concerned, sadly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    Because writers are lazy and Company higher ups are scared to do something new.
    Or in this case, something old.

Weird. Batman, is the one character immune to their silver age nostalgia.