View Poll Results: As a BP fan, your take on the romance with Storm is:

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destiny! I always wanted her for him exactly like this for T'Challa!

9 10.84%
  • Love her for him in general, maybe not exactly like this

15 18.07%
  • Like her for him, kinda like WonderBat or SuperWonder

4 4.82%
  • Don't really care who T'Challa is canoodling with

16 19.28%
  • Dislike her for him, too much like WonderBat or SuperWonder

13 15.66%
  • Hate her for him, T'Challa belongs with someone else (specify)

22 26.51%
  • Blasphemy! I never wanted her for him, under any conditions

4 4.82%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Okay let me break it down, Coates got BP when:

T'Challa was just front and center in the biggest event at Marvel that had been going for 5 year's. BP hadn't had a Solo in year's, Coates name did help too, Marvel out out a ton of variants, BP debuted in a billion dollar movie 2016 was also BP's 50th anniversary, Marvel also kept throwing out incentives, then hos Solo movie dropped and grossed a Billy, and marvel kept throwing out incentives to keep sales up and then did TWO renumberings to his series within about 6 monthswof each other.

Under his name, Coates has several failed books BP wow and BP and Crew (which was cancelled after Issue 1, and wow completely contradicted S1, such a "mastermind") all of this is at the start and height of BP's popularity, in which BP is a household name, has a ton of merch, and a cartoon.

Now compare that to Hudlin who had none of that at all.. yet he still had the most successful run of any BP writer... Yet Hudlin's the failure?? Come on now...
    coates was an award winning author with a lot of notoriety outside the comic books. and as pac mentioned popularity (large or small) doesnt translate to comic sales. at any rate with however bad or good his books have done marvel is supporting his work because of how well received his take on the mythos has been.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Names do hold wait in the Industry.

Hudlin's name and first arc brought in new readers and other comic readers to the character. You could say the same thing for Coates.

I believe the argument being made is that Hudlin had to do more groundwork at the time. Black Panther was not the character he is now. Hudlin in large part contributed to his standing and perception. Really pushing him as A-List a character that could stand with Captain America. Highlighting (or creating depending on your interpretation) the fact that Wakanda had never been conquered and themes of colonialism which we actually see in Black Panther.

Priest is generally attributed as the quintessential or definitive Black Panther run but that happened largely after his run ended. Hudlin is the one that brought spotlight and eyeballs during his run. I like to liken Hudlin to Bendis, not in terms of how they write but just in being aware of the audience. What is popular. What sells. And giving readers what they want in a compelling fast paced, action driven story. Don't get it twisted now Hudlin totally built on what Priest had established. Reggie was just able to publicize the character more give him a cartoon and help push him a way others could not at the time.

Mr. Priest himself: skip to 3:25 if you want to hear him talk about Hudlin

Coates inherited the book at a different time. Where Black Panther is a bigger name. He's had more multimedia appearances and is now a smash hit on the big screen. It's interesting now because Coates will have to pivot to make him a little more like the movie version and less like the version he was trying to establish.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Names do hold wait in the Industry.

Hudlin's name and first arc brought in new readers and other comic readers to the character. You could say the same thing for Coates.

I believe the argument being made is that Hudlin had to do more groundwork at the time. Black Panther was not the character he is now. Hudlin in large part contributed to his standing and perception. Really pushing him as A-List a character that could stand with Captain America. Highlighting (or creating depending on your interpretation) the fact that Wakanda had never been conquered and themes of colonialism which we actually see in Black Panther.

Priest is generally attributed as the quintessential or definitive Black Panther run but that happened largely after his run ended. Hudlin is the one that brought spotlight and eyeballs during his run. I like to liken Hudlin to Bendis, not in terms of how they write but just in being aware of the audience. What is popular. What sells. And giving readers what they want in a compelling fast paced, action driven story. Don't get it twisted now Hudlin totally built on what Priest had established. Reggie was just able to publicize the character more give him a cartoon and help push him a way others could not at the time.

Mr. Priest himself: skip to 3:25 if you want to hear him talk about Hudlin

Coates inherited the book at a different time. Where Black Panther is a bigger name. He's had more multimedia appearances and is now a smash hit on the big screen. It's interesting now because Coates will have to pivot to make him a little more like the movie version and less like the version he was trying to establish.

Lee/Kirby created him.

McGregor world built.

Priest updated the character and made him modern and cool.

Hudlin is the one that took all that and actually made him popular.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Lee/Kirby created him.

McGregor world built.

Priest updated the character and made him modern and cool.

Hudlin is the one that took all that and actually made him popular.
    yeah you summed this up more concisely than I did. I'd say Priest and Hudlin world built too, but McGregor was the initial foundation they had to work from and that is often overlooked.

Will have to wait and see what Coates does. I think his first mistake was following too closely to what Hickman did. What he's doing with Shuri probably won't stick unless the movies go that route. I don't think Disney is going to let them focus on the rape camps again either so.... balls in Coates court.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    coates was an award winning author with a lot of notoriety outside the comic books. and as pac mentioned popularity (large or small) doesnt translate to comic sales. at any rate with however bad or good his books have done marvel is supporting his work because of how well received his take on the mythos has been.
    Xpacs word isnt law and it still comes down to Coates getting BP when he was starting/at the height of popularity. Marvel has been saving Coates ass on his book for a long time now. They Aren't supporting his book because it's "well received" as it's gotten into cancellation range multiple times to where marvel had to throw out incentives to bring sales up. And again, marvel renumbered Coates book twice in 6 months.

Hudlin didn't have the support Coates has, Hudlin pushed the BP series, Hudlin forced fans, Marvel and the MU to take T'Challa and Wakanda seriously, Hudlins modernized Wakanda and Shuri showed up in the movie, Hudlin had the most successful run to date. All at a time when BP was pretty unknown by many. So tell me, how is Hudlin a failure and Coates isn't? I'll wait

yeah you summed this up more concisely than I did. I'd say Priest and Hudlin world built too, but McGregor was the initial foundation they had to work from and that is often overlooked.

Oh yeah, they all world built. I was just trying to keep it as short cool sentences lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Will have to wait and see what Coates does. I think his first mistake was following too closely to what Hickman did. What he's doing with Shuri probably won't stick unless the movies go that route. I don't think Disney is going to let them focus on the rape camps again either so.... balls in Coates court.
    Nah he didn't even follow much of what Hickman did. His mistake was:
    His idea that Tchalla couldn't help by take advantage of the Dora's
    Claiming that T'Challa was always shown as awesome awesome awesome and that he needed to show his "human side"

In a interviews having nothing but negative things to say about BP and the mythos

Saying in an interview that his story isn't targeted to fans of BP and that long time and hardcore fans aren't going to like his run basically he wrote it for his literary friends to get ass pats for his story and then made a terrible job with all the hype he had.

Again of this were Priest, Hudlin or Redjack who was writing the story when Coates got it, it would be a whole other level with Tchalla on new heights he hasn't been to

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    In addition to all of this, Axel Alonso, Hudlin’s editor at the time, was getting promoted to Editor-In-Chief. Alonso played lots of interference for Hudlin. Even played a role in facilitating Hudlin’s pairing of T’Challa and Storm.
    ]
    I forgot about that. He must have been running defense for a LOT of stuff on that run.

These titles had a cultural impact that resonated with a minority population?
    NO they didn't. However they were DIFFERENT from what we were getting.

You can toss variety to a kid and have success. They don't give a DAMN about who is icon or not.

It's like Coates and every writer that's followed in his wake are obsessed with reinventing the proverbial wheel to no appreciable positive effect.
    You know what is FUNNY-when this is being done with Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Superman, Batman and Hawkman (MERCY)-folks eat it up.

No matter how many others it damages-Wally West, John Stewart, Hawkgirl, Dick Grayson and the Titans franchise.

Yet in all those guys cases (along with Aquaman & WW)-it's never a mess that makes THEM look horrible.

Meanwhile-when it's done to Panther, Static, Jaime Reyes & Jason Rusch-they come out worst for wear. Panther benefits from a support group at Marvel-who are trying everything to make it work.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Post Hudlun/Liss/Hickman, I give a hard pass on any other dipictions of Shuri.

Coates has totally destroyed her character with this Griot nonsense and Nnedi Okoroafor has muddied the waters even further with her iteration of Shuri.

It's like Coates and every writer that's followed in his wake are obsessed with reinventing the proverbial wheel to no appreciable positive effect.
    The Griot thing was a nice attempt to keep Shuri relevant since the movie was coming and they were probably never gonna give her the BP suit ever again.

But damn tween genius Shuri made me ill.