View Poll Results: As a BP fan, your take on the romance with Storm is:

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destiny! I always wanted her for him exactly like this for T'Challa!

9 10.84%
  • Love her for him in general, maybe not exactly like this

15 18.07%
  • Like her for him, kinda like WonderBat or SuperWonder

4 4.82%
  • Don't really care who T'Challa is canoodling with

16 19.28%
  • Dislike her for him, too much like WonderBat or SuperWonder

13 15.66%
  • Hate her for him, T'Challa belongs with someone else (specify)

22 26.51%
  • Blasphemy! I never wanted her for him, under any conditions

4 4.82%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I know I don't. The only thing Coates did was add a room to a house that was already built.

I've stated my disdain for his work on numerous occasions so need for further elaboration on my part.
    coates writing actually made me really enjoy reading BP even without storm being present. much of hudlin stuff I read because i wanted to read storm but i didnt feel as if it was well written. season 1 and 2 of coates run was so intriguing and it seemed he put so much thought into giving players to how the government worked and the ancient lore and history of wakanda. I didnt get the sense of they from hudlin and though I cant speak on the writers prior to hudlin I would wager they didnt go into the depth Coates did.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Hit the nail on the head here. This whole schitck that Coates had fleshed out Wakanda and the Character more then any other writer is getting ridiculous. It's like people gotta try and link Coates to everything as if he had a hand in it to make him seem relevant
    When Coates run is the first book many have seen of Black Panther on stores shelves including store that would normally NOT sell a Panther book (looking at YOU Barnes & Nobles).

See SALES and being a best sellers is a DOUBLE EDGE SWORD.

I'll give examples-

Duke Thomas look at how BADLY he is done in Batman. One page or panel spot if ANY. Along with the Detective Comics Stealth Outsiders pilot arc. Those are two top sellers and heavily ordered trades. If it was not for Batman & Signal trade-you would have a HARD time selling him to folks.

Storm-we can all agree Coates did a respectable job with her in Panther's book. It's a good thing it SELLS. Because if we go by X-books-she's background and crappy. You would have a hard time selling her if she got a solo book based on her treatment in X-books.

So Panther is in a case of the better SELLER is not the BETTER/BEST work.
    And it's WORST when you look at the names- McGregor, Kirby, Priest, Hudlin & Coates. These are not CHUMPS. You don't get Coates without the first 4. Priest told you Panther could sell, Hudlin told he could sell in and out of comic book stores and star on tv. Coates showed you a black hero could OUTSELL Icons of BOTH companies.

All Coates has done is show you a supporting cast can compete with Batman, Superman & Peter Parker's supporting cast. At least in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    coates writing actually made me really enjoy reading BP even without storm being present. much of hudlin stuff I read because i wanted to read storm but i didnt feel as if it was well written. season 1 and 2 of coates run was so intriguing and it seemed he put so much thought into giving players to how the government worked and the ancient lore and history of wakanda. I didnt get the sense of they from hudlin and though I cant speak on the writers prior to hudlin I would wager they didnt go into the depth Coates did.
    That's the thing. How can you make a claim like this if you haven't read what other writer's have done. There's another poster that used to do that a lot.

Nobody beats what Don McGregor did as far as building Wakanda. There is no comparison.

Priest introduced characters and concepts about Wakanda still being used today and in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That's the thing. How can you make a claim like this if you haven't read what other writer's have done. There's another poster that used to do that a lot.

Nobody beats what Don McGregor did as far as building Wakanda. There is no comparison.

Priest introduced characters and concepts about Wakanda still being used today and in the movies.

yes this is fair. I havent read them so how exactly did they build the wakanda world in regards to the government and how the dora related to each other beyond tchalla, and the ancillary towns/cities outside if the capital? and I'm not sure what the point is in referring to other posters.

how did McGregor build wakanda and what issues are those ?

and not taking away from priest but from some of the responses here seem to suggest his story were more tchalla driven than attempting to focus on building wakanda specifically. as I've always said I think coates primary goal was to do more to build the world of wakanda which we see an extension of this in the current season.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

yes this is fair. I havent read them so how exactly did they build the wakanda world in regards to the government and how the dora related to each other beyond tchalla, and the ancillary towns/cities outside if the capital? and I'm not sure what the point is in referring to other posters.

how did McGregor build wakanda and what issues are those ?

and not taking away from priest but from some of the responses here seem to suggest his story were more tchalla driven than attempting to focus on building wakanda specifically. as I've always said I think coates primary goal was to do more to build the world of wakanda which we see an extension of this in the current season.

Coates does the same thing every comic writer does. Uses supporting characters to help move the plot along, but can be swapped with anyone. Nnendi has done more to add to Wakanda than Coates because she created original concepts and he repurposed established elements and I can't say he has gone any deeper than anyone else. It's just you're reading full stories now instead of just the parts with Storm(ducking lol).

McGregors main story is Panthers Rage. Credited as being the first Trade Paperback or something like that.

The empire Wakanda is nothing like the Wakanda on earth. They just have the names.
    Last edited by Cville; 10-23-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Coates does the same thing every comic writer does. Uses supporting characters to help move the plot along, but can be swapped with anyone. Nnendi has done more to add to Wakanda than Coates because she created original concepts and he repurposed established elements and I can't say he has gone any deeper than anyone else. It's just you're reading full stories now instead of just the parts with Storm(ducking lol).

McGregors main story is Panthers Rage. Credited as being the first Trade Paperback or something like that.

The empire Wakanda is nothing like the Wakanda on earth. They just have the names.
    much of why I'm reading full stories now is because I enjoy coates writing. and nnendi's work I cant comment on. I read the dora mini which wasnt great and one issue of shuri.

and they are not the same names but it does demonstrate wakanda impact on the universe as it will exist 2000 years in the future.

and thank you I will check it out and get back to u

much of why I'm reading full stories now is because I enjoy coates writing. and nnendi's work I cant comment on. I read the dora mini which wasnt great and one issue of shuri.

and they are not the same names but it does demonstrate wakanda impact on the universe as it will exist 2000 years in the future.

and thank you I will check it out and get back to u
    2000 years with no contact with home in what appears to be the other side of the universe. Do you think a spacefaring Wakanda would be the same if the main body was based out of Earth?

2000 years with no contact with home in what appears to be the other side of the universe. Do you think a spacefaring Wakanda would be the same if the main body was based out of Earth?
    but this civilization of wakandans was the result of early wakandans exploring space. we dont know what occurred that resulted in this new intergalactic race being as it is. a lot could have simply been the leadership which at some point obviously went dark.

Coates explains it at the end of issue 4 in the explanation page. He realized he messed up the setup and tries to soften it. Lol

Coates explains it at the end of issue 4 in the explanation page. He realized he messed up the setup and tries to soften it. Lol
    I guess I need to reread that before I respond any further.

I guess I need to reread that before I respond any further.
    It's the page with the space map on it. Latest issues if that is #4.

It's the page with the space map on it. Latest issues if that is #4.
    ok will touch base in a bit

so I read issue 4 again I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make lol

so I read issue 4 again I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make lol
    Wakandans don't concur. That is rule #2 of their society. Im more ready to except that the symbiote has been influencing the emperor as the official BP habit for generations.

Didnt have to read the whole thing it's a stand alone info page.

Wakandans don't concur. That is rule #2 of their society. Im more ready to except that the symbiote has been influencing the emperor as the official BP habit for generations.

Didnt have to read the whole thing it's a stand alone info page.
    let me go back.

and read a bit of rage. it was dated but there was definitely world building.