View Poll Results: As a BP fan, your take on the romance with Storm is:

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Destiny! I always wanted her for him exactly like this for T'Challa!

9 10.84%
  • Love her for him in general, maybe not exactly like this

15 18.07%
  • Like her for him, kinda like WonderBat or SuperWonder

4 4.82%
  • Don't really care who T'Challa is canoodling with

16 19.28%
  • Dislike her for him, too much like WonderBat or SuperWonder

13 15.66%
  • Hate her for him, T'Challa belongs with someone else (specify)

22 26.51%
  • Blasphemy! I never wanted her for him, under any conditions

4 4.82%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Yea, as much as the x-office may downplay storm's ability to contribute, it's just as silly to postulate the other extreme that she's some overpowered being that can't be stopped. Coates had her get knocked out by d-list Vanisher and the Fenris twins in season 1, so it's safe to say she would struggle against an intergalatic space empire that's conquered 5 galaxies. And by struggle, i mean she'd die. There's an obvious balance here.

The likely reality is Storm isn't playing a large part in this season, at least not yet, because the movie has influenced Coates to focus on the MCU-lite iterations of Nakia, M'Baku, and King Killmonger. We wouldn't know how far that influence will stretch until season's end.

Keep this in mind too: Manifold is arguably more powerful than Storm with his cheat-code power set, yet there was no problem adding him into the story as a combatant. He literally could instant kill everyone.
    you must dont know what storm is capable of if you dont think she could instant kill everyone as well. and marvel knew the direction black panther was going (mcu) before coates started doing this thing. these things didnt become a reality upon us seeing it at the theater. I think coates is actually just focusing on tchalla which isnt a bad thing. tchalla mbaku and nakia are 2000 years in the future. at some point he will return and they will stay where they are. to think anything otherwise I think is wishful thinking.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I think think what is in Bold is what is my problem with Black Panther's previous writers and that they make it hat T'Challa rarely relies on others and use his abilities to get out of the most unusual situations.
    So wait... it is a bad thing the issues focused in the main character using his abilities to get out of bad situations?

huh lol

There were rare moments in Priest and Hudlin that showed his emotional side, but that was often few and between as its overshadow by his need to outwit everyone around him and barely asking for help of others.
    And they had more weight because it was rare.

He is a king with enormous weight on his shoulders. 24/7.

but, then again... what "emotion" did Coates bring? Only thing I remember are around his mom or storm... just like every other run

Only when those writers were off Black Panther did they allow T'challa to rebuild his relationship with the rest of the Marvel U.
    You gonna have to back this up homey.

T'challa was in limbo before Priest.

During Priest run, he was on the Avengers again (ultron forever, red zone). He also had multiple relationships throughout his book. Complex relationships.

During Hudlin run, he was part of Cap's CW team, worked with Namor, and joined the New Fantastic Four.

So, after Hudlin's run... where was all this rebuilding of relationships again? He was on no teams until Hickman's run... on a team that ostracized himself from the greater MU and where he put no trust into anyone at all (sound familiar?). Coates run has completely cut himself off from the rest of the MU... except for the crew. 2 of the members of the crew relationship was established by...... Hudlin.

I need sources on this "rebuilding of relationships" please?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    you must dont know what storm is capable of if you dont think she could instant kill everyone as well. and marvel knew the direction black panther was going (mcu) before coates started doing this thing. these things didnt become a reality upon us seeing it at the theater. I think coates is actually just focusing on tchalla which isnt a bad thing. tchalla mbaku and nakia are 2000 years in the future. at some point he will return and they will stay where they are. to think anything otherwise I think is wishful thinking.
    I'm aware that she got knocked out by the d-list vanisher and fenris twins as written by Coates, so it's fair to say he could easily have her struggle against an intergalactic empire... and no one practical would cry foul or say it's a disservice to her . It's not a diss to say Storm wouldnt solo the entire sh'iar or kree empire.

I'd say it's wishful thinking to believe Coates didnt make these shifts to mcu versions of okoye, nakia, mbaku and killmonger for reasons other than the mcu movie. He also has all the incentive in the world, or galaxy, to bring them over.

I understand why you may want otherwise, I suppose. I'd say it's a coin flip.
    Last edited by Rumble; 10-23-2018 at 09:51 AM.

fair enough. now take these characters away from the stories they told and would they impact the story in any way such as tchalla not being able to save the day or would you be less invested in the story? what was happening in cities and towns outside of the one tchalla resided in? what did people think of the government or the dora etc? what did the did the dora think about beyond what revolved around tchalla? I'm most certain coates felt the need to further develop wakanda and the internal politics because this was lacking from the preceding stories told.
    They're not supposed the heavily impact the story. They're supporting characters. Its not a team book. For me, supporting characters are interchangeable, killable, and replaceable. Their main function is to provide avenues to help advance the plot of the main character.

In the books outside of Coates, the women seem to aspire to become Dora. Hudlin went around the country during the engagement to get a pulse on the people. When they first arrived as a couple, people were cheering in the streets. The little boy in an early issue thought it was the greatest thing to see BP.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I know this is taking things on another tangent. But I have to say I have just read the most ridiculous thing on this thread.

I'm not sure how anyone who can say they've actually attentively read Priest's, Hudlin's, or Liss' runs of Black Panther can say T'Challa (despite being the star of his own f**king book) never relied on anyone.

I mean, what? Seriously? This has to be one of the biggest lies told on BP's name. He's never been too reliant, but he has clearly been seeing relying and trusting people. Even Priest's T'Challa trusted freakin Ross! ROSS!! Let that sink in.

I'm sorry but some of these are just ridiculous. Even if it comes out of a preference for Coates' work, you can't just credit the guy for doing something other people have done before, just because you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I know this is taking things on another tangent. But I have to say I have just read the most ridiculous thing on this thread.

I'm not sure how anyone who can say they've actually attentively read Priest's, Hudlin's, or Liss' runs of Black Panther can say T'Challa (despite being the star of his own f**king book) never relied on anyone.

I mean, what? Seriously? This has to be one of the biggest lies told on BP's name. He's never been too reliant, but he has clearly been seeing relying and trusting people. Even Priest's T'Challa trusted freakin Ross! ROSS!! Let that sink in.

I'm sorry but some of these are just ridiculous. Even if it comes out of a preference for Coates' work, you can't just credit the guy for doing something other people have done before, just because you like it.
    Thanks for posting this. I thought I had a brain aneurysm and made it all up in my head lol
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 10-23-2018 at 07:58 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So wait... it is a bad thing the issues focused in the main character using his abilities to get out of bad situations?

huh lol

And they had more weight because it was rare.

He is a king with enormous weight on his shoulders. 24/7.

but, then again... what "emotion" did Coates bring? Only thing I remember are around his mom or storm... just like every other run

You gonna have to back this up homey.

T'challa was in limbo before Priest.

During Priest run, he was on the Avengers again (ultron forever, red zone). He also had multiple relationships throughout his book. Complex relationships.

During Hudlin run, he was part of Cap's CW team, worked with Namor, and joined the New Fantastic Four.

So, after Hudlin's run... where was all this rebuilding of relationships again? He was on no teams until Hickman's run... on a team that ostracized himself from the greater MU and where he put no trust into anyone at all (sound familiar?). Coates run has completely cut himself off from the rest of the MU... except for the crew. 2 of the members of the crew relationship was established by...... Hudlin.

I need sources on this "rebuilding of relationships" please?
    First off, he joined the Fantastic Four as a favor to Reed Richards.
    Also during Priest run it was set up as T’challa Vs the Avengers given how Priest recon why T’Challa Was on the team. Which Coates later recon as well.
    Plus Hudlin and McDuffie, rest his soul, was just copying what Preist set up.

First off, he joined the Fantastic Four as a favor to Reed Richards.
    Also during Priest run it was set up as T’challa Vs the Avengers given how Priest recon why T’Challa Was on the team. Which Coates later recon as well.
    Plus Hudlin and McDuffie, rest his soul, was just copying what Preist set up.
    You aren't even making sense at this point. What are you even arguing?

He had to have a RELATIONSHIP (something ou said BP didn't have under priest and hudlin) with Reed to do him a favor lol....

During Priest run, T'challa said he was spying INITIALLY but later became friends. In the same run, T'challa called Cap his brother. Zuri and Thor was drinking buds. And its a fact T'challa was on the Avengers team for Ultron Forever and Red Zone. Having relationships with the marvel universe....

I would ask you this. what details on this level of wakanda did we know prior to coates? the exploration of the towns, peoples and dealings outside and around the capital where tchalla and the capital resides?
    Mcgregor just had a tear come to his eye and doesn't know why.

Priest is currently writing a mean blog post right now spurred on by unknown motivation.

A lot of the world of BP that fans take advantage of now was created and/or fleshed out by Priest and McGregor.

Hudlin's first arc basically created the modern Wakanda. I would say that is world building.

All the big 3 BP writers explored Wakanda in depth.

Coates twist on things was creating inequalities and rape camps.
    The J-man

They felt more like assoicates than allies when those writers wrote T'challa. Outside Captain America and Luke Cage, T'challa wasn't "friendly" with his allies and saw them all as either pawns and/or acquaintances depending on the situation.

I mean they were writing T'challa like Batman of the Marvel Universe at the time and you all know how rarely Batman shows that he cares about other heroes.
    in Priest run T'Challa was friendly to storm and even opened up to her about his fears. He was friendly enough to Tony but Tony always underestimated him as does the entire MU, as Ross stated that's his greatest superpower. T'Challa got a brain aneurysm saving iron fist.

Hudlin had Tchalla even more friendly. Then whole arc with the FF the arc with blade and voodoo? Those were legit team up in which he utilized their skills to the max.

Again how do you think Team ups should work because what Priest and Hudlin did was pretty standard
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 10-23-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Hit the nail on the head here. This whole schitck that Coates had fleshed out Wakanda and the Character more then any other writer is getting ridiculous. It's like people gotta try and link Coates to everything as if he had a hand in it to make him seem relevant

Thanks for posting this. I thought I had a brain aneurysm and made it all up in my head lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    All the big 3 BP writers explored Wakanda in depth.

Coates twist on things was creating inequalities and rape camps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Hit the nail on the head here. This whole schitck that Coates had fleshed out Wakanda and the Character more then any other writer is getting ridiculous. It's like people gotta try and link Coates to everything as if he had a hand in it to make him seem relevant
    Yea, the revisionst history suggested by non-bp fans is kinda disrespectful to McGregor, Priest, Hudlin, and Liss's contributions, if we're being honest. Oh well.

Hmm.. but I guess it's not surprising that the answer to the question "how do black panther fans feel about storm" comes with poll results that are overwhelmingly in the lets just part ways and be done with it.

BANNED

Excellent post.

You've summed up one of the major reasons why I rarely post on this subject.

Some just choose to post blatant falsehoods to support their vapid positions built upon a flimsy foundation.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    I'm aware that she got knocked out by the d-list vanisher and fenris twins as written by Coates, so it's fair to say he could easily have her struggle against an intergalactic empire... and no one practical would cry foul or say it's a disservice to her . It's not a diss to say Storm wouldnt solo the entire sh'iar or kree empire.

I'd say it's wishful thinking to believe Coates didnt make these shifts to mcu versions of okoye, nakia, mbaku and killmonger for reasons other than the mcu movie. He also has all the incentive in the world, or galaxy, to bring them over.

I understand why you may want otherwise, I suppose. I'd say it's a coin flip.
    Yea there is a thing called lowballing for the purposes of allowing other characters the get the shine. Do you really think a character who can move faster than the speed of sound, can attack opponents with less than a conscious thought, and warp weather on a global scale if written to her fullest potential would have been tagged like that? You wouldn't have a story or conflict ever if Storm was actually shown doing just half of what she is capable of doing. And Storm most certainly could solo a shiar or kree empire if she can wreck weather on a global scale. Just look at the real world impact of such storms as hurricane Michael and Katrina. Storm can do that 1000x over and with out much of a sweat.

I'm sure there is incentive to do so for synergy purposes but did you ever stop to think that maybe the end game is to have Tchalla ultimately with Ororo which is why Coates put them back together and has worked slowly to do so?

But to your point it is a coin flip there is no sure way to know how it will end on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    They're not supposed the heavily impact the story. They're supporting characters. Its not a team book. For me, supporting characters are interchangeable, killable, and replaceable. Their main function is to provide avenues to help advance the plot of the main character.

In the books outside of Coates, the women seem to aspire to become Dora. Hudlin went around the country during the engagement to get a pulse on the people. When they first arrived as a couple, people were cheering in the streets. The little boy in an early issue thought it was the greatest thing to see BP.
    I don't see how you could possibly care about characters if they don't have a decent amount of impact to the story. Why are we supposed to care about characters if you don't write them in a meaningful way? And to you your point about the supporting characters are interchangeable, replaceable or able to be killed is why I believe previous stories prior to Coates is why you didn't find readers caring about them beyond Tchalla. Coates created an entire series to deep dive into the stories involving the Dora. Those types of depictions is why for some you care about them beyond them just protecting Tchalla.

This was all in relation to Tchalla though. What did these people like and what did they do beyond just glorifying Tchalla? That is why world-building is important.

Mcgregor just had a tear come to his eye and doesn't know why.

Priest is currently writing a mean blog post right now spurred on by unknown motivation.

A lot of the world of BP that fans take advantage of now was created and/or fleshed out by Priest and McGregor.

Hudlin's first arc basically created the modern Wakanda. I would say that is world building.
    As I asked Cville, what did the people do beyond just loving Tchalla? That's not world-building. The story of WoW is exactly that and that is what Coates was able to do which i think did a lot more to help the franchise than hurt it.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!