View Poll Results: Do you prefer Carol to be Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel??

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ms. Marvel

    44 41.51%
  • Captain Marvel

    62 58.49%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 111
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids,Mich
    Posts
    3,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    “Colonel” Marvel does, indeed, not sound quite right. That said, it’s pretty much impossible to imagine a senior military officer deliberately taking on a lower rank for their superhero identity. It just seem daft, and the fact that it’s an equivalent rank to Colonel in the Navy would only be of importance if her superhero identity was nautical themed. Give her a naval cap or an anchor motif

    I also can’t quite get over the fact that it’s been used because Marvel has the IP, and they need to use the name to retain it, and she’s the best they can come up with to currently carry it. No doubt it’s silly of me. Really, though, it was only a great name in the Golden Age, and I just don’t think it particularly “fits” any contemporary hero.

    To be fair, there are two things that can be said in its favour. It’s a lot better than Binary, in God’s name, and sadly for Monica Rambeau, it’s also a hell of a lot better than Spectrum.
    There are a lot of "Captains" out there. There is Captain Britain, Captain America, Captain Atom. There even a guy out there calling himself Captain Underpants !

  2. #32
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,172

    Default

    Captain. No contest. Most reasoning for bringing her back to Ms Marvel usually has some misogynistic roots. BUT, if Monica Rambeau ever decides to be Captain Marvel again, I'm backing her 110%.

  3. #33
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    Captain. No contest. Most reasoning for bringing her back to Ms Marvel usually has some misogynistic roots. BUT, if Monica Rambeau ever decides to be Captain Marvel again, I'm backing her 110%.
    Some reasoning, sure. "Most" is probably unfair, and unless you've taken a poll or netnography, inaccurate.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member MadFacedKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    I prefer Ms. but I'm fine with Captain and could understand the progression to it.

    Though I wouldn't mind someone calling her Ms. Marvel in the movie as a nod to her time as that alias. Hell I'd actually be happy for it.

    Don't get how Ms. Is offensive given Miss Fantastic, Mister Fantastic. I'm pretty sure Civillians have called Superman, Mr. Superman at one point or another

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    2,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I prefer Ms. but I'm fine with Captain and could understand the progression to it.

    Though I wouldn't mind someone calling her Ms. Marvel in the movie as a nod to her time as that alias. Hell I'd actually be happy for it.

    Don't get how Ms. Is offensive given Miss Fantastic, Mister Fantastic. I'm pretty sure Civillians have called Superman, Mr. Superman at one point or another
    It's sorta like a fake offensive. The same people who were cheering her removal of the Ms. moniker were the same people praising Kamala for taking the name. It's only offensive if it helps push whatever cause they stand behind. Best to be ignored.

    I don't really care what Carol's name is, I just hope Mar'Vell comes back at some point. She can keep the Captain part. It's just a name. That really hasn't help her all that much, I might add.

    Carol has always been cool character but recently writers have spoiled her and I'm more apathetic to her then anything else. Keep it, don't keep don't care. Writer her better and bring back Mar'Vell and then I'm on board.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    The Human Rocket Nova Prime Appreciation Thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

    Explain The Appeal ~ Hawkman: http://community.comicbookresources....73#post3725173

    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Its just a poll.Relax.
    Except it's not just a poll. It's an ongoing discussion. It's people who can't accept that Carol Danvers is not going to be Ms. Marvel again. That she is not going back to the black costume. It's people who can't accept that shit has moved on, and so they keep talking about it. They keep saying they don't like Carol as Captain Marvel, as though it makes a difference. She's getting a movie as Captain Marvel, she's about to be known to the world as Captain Marvel, so people whining about how Marvel "ruined" her by giving her pants are just whining pointlessly.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I prefer Ms. but I'm fine with Captain and could understand the progression to it.

    Though I wouldn't mind someone calling her Ms. Marvel in the movie as a nod to her time as that alias. Hell I'd actually be happy for it.

    Don't get how Ms. Is offensive given Miss Fantastic, Mister Fantastic. I'm pretty sure Civillians have called Superman, Mr. Superman at one point or another
    It's not that "Ms. Marvel" is offensive. It's that a whooooooooooooole lot of the people objecting to Carol being Captain Marvel have some pretty misogynistic undertones to a lot of their complaints. So, so, soooooooooo many of these people focus on her not being "sexy" any more. The assholes who call her "Carl Manvers" because she doesn't have boob socks. They make the fact that they don't want to wank to her any more a key part of their complaints. And hey! That shit's misogynistic! When someone spends a lot of time complaining about a woman not being sexy? That person is misogynistic. Because they are saying that a woman's sexual attractiveness is paramount.

    I mean, hell, just today, there have been people bitching about the new She-Ra design, making the same complaints. Complaining about her lack of cleavage, and saying she looks like a boy. Because, apparently, massive tits are what defines womanhood. If a female character isn't running around with tits that are each the size of her head, what's even the point?

    Ms. isn't offensive. It's literally the equivalent of Mr., a relationship-neutral title. What's offensive is how often the people who dislike Carol switching to Captain make reference to her appearance as a key part of their reasoning for not liking it.

  8. #38
    Bishop was right. Sighphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Ms. Cause Captain Marvel is not a super hero name, it was his rank and name.

  9. #39
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,886

    Default

    Wasnt Captain Marvel the name that Monica carried? she should be ms. marvel.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  10. #40
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    It's not that "Ms. Marvel" is offensive. It's that a whooooooooooooole lot of the people objecting to Carol being Captain Marvel have some pretty misogynistic undertones to a lot of their complaints. So, so, soooooooooo many of these people focus on her not being "sexy" any more. The assholes who call her "Carl Manvers" because she doesn't have boob socks. They make the fact that they don't want to wank to her any more a key part of their complaints. And hey! That shit's misogynistic! When someone spends a lot of time complaining about a woman not being sexy? That person is misogynistic. Because they are saying that a woman's sexual attractiveness is paramount.

    I mean, hell, just today, there have been people bitching about the new She-Ra design, making the same complaints. Complaining about her lack of cleavage, and saying she looks like a boy. Because, apparently, massive tits are what defines womanhood. If a female character isn't running around with tits that are each the size of her head, what's even the point?

    Ms. isn't offensive. It's literally the equivalent of Mr., a relationship-neutral title. What's offensive is how often the people who dislike Carol switching to Captain make reference to her appearance as a key part of their reasoning for not liking it.
    Yeah. There's nothing wrong with the Ms Marvel name, if there was, they wouldn't have given it to Kamala.

    And I would say there isn't even anything wrong with the black Ms Marvel costume(well, except that it's generic and it doesn't make that much sense for Carol to wear that) if not for the way most artists drew it. But you just know that most people who prefer her as Ms Marvel have very obvious reasons...

  11. #41
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,237

    Default

    Captain. No contest.

    Now, whoever said that it shouldn't have been a mantle to pass on, since it was a rank and name, is right. But Marvel's never going to let go of that name so someone had to take it. And really, it should've been Carol from the start (sorry Monica).

    She was fine as Ms. Marvel. I enjoyed her (though I did like Warbird more back in the day). But now that she's upgraded to Captain? She *is* Captain Marvel, bitches!
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #42
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Some reasoning, sure. "Most" is probably unfair, and unless you've taken a poll or netnography, inaccurate.
    Okay,,,,,then aren't both "some" and "most" unquantifiable. Accurate assumption of opinion don't just happen when you assume the least rather than the most.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,709

    Default

    Captain, I don't think Ms. is a downgrade, I just think Kamala's made Ms. Marvel her own and there's no need to mess with something that's working.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  14. #44
    non-super & non-hero jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    In terms of stories and moments I remember Carol as Ms but Kamala has owned Ms Marvel so much more than Carol that she shouldn't go back to it.

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ţh жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя Tycon View Post
    Captain. No contest. Most reasoning for bringing her back to Ms Marvel usually has some misogynistic roots. BUT, if Monica Rambeau ever decides to be Captain Marvel again, I'm backing her 110%.
    She has no reason to do that in-story. The name was completely random for her, it doesn't have any meaning like there is for Carol or Mar-Vell's kids. And on irl contexts, Monica being Captain Marvel is only brought up by anti-Carol people to be like "Wow, she stole it from a black woman!!!", when they never cared one bit during the decades Monica didn't had it because of the white guy who actually stole it from her, or even mention his existence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •