Smile What are your thoughts on Batman Knightfall story?

Hi everyone!

I’m thinking of getting this trilogy. What are your thoughts on it? Is it worth reading and what did you like about the story? Cheers!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Hi everyone!

I’m thinking of getting this trilogy. What are your thoughts on it? Is it worth reading and what did you like about the story? Cheers!
    I really love Knightfall especially the first arc of Batman running the gauntlet of the escaped Arkham villains, the fight with Bane and Az-Bat's rematch with Bane. Overall the storyline is good although I found vol 2 (The Crusade & The Search) drags a bit as they clearly had to keep drawing the story out until Bruce's return

The 3 omni's are good as they include the never before reprinted prelude issues (but missing Sword of Azrael in vol 1) and some issues after the saga (Troika, Alfred's Return and Vengeance of Bane II) although I'm not a fan of the Kelly Jones covers and there are a few misplaced pages in vol 2

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I really love Knightfall especially the first arc of Batman running the gauntlet of the escaped Arkham villains, the fight with Bane and Az-Bat's rematch with Bane. Overall the storyline is good although I found vol 2 (The Crusade & The Search) drags a bit as they clearly had to keep drawing the story out until Bruce's return

The 3 omni's are good as they include the never before reprinted prelude issues (but missing Sword of Azrael in vol 1) and some issues after the saga (Troika, Alfred's Return and Vengeance of Bane II) although I'm not a fan of the Kelly Jones covers and there are a few misplaced pages in vol 2
    Thanks so much for your input! A lot of people had similar reactions about vol. 2 and vol. 1 is the best of all three. I just bought all 3 of them for a very low price at IST. Should I skip vol. 2 and go to vol. 3 instead? How is the Sword of Azrael relevant and other issues after the saga? Also, should I read all Azrael issues prior to reading Knightfall?
    Last edited by theboychild; 07-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Thanks so much for your input! A lot of people had similar reactions about vol. 2 and vol. 1 is the best of all three. I just bought all 3 of them for a very low price at IST. Should I skip vol. 2 and go to vol. 3 instead? How is the Sword of Azrael relevant and other issues after the saga? Also, should I read all Azrael issues prior to reading Knightfall?
    I am about 2/3 the way through omnibus 2 and still really liking it. I liked it almost as
    much as the first. It’s a fresh Batman doing it his new way against villains he has no history with. I have found it interesting.
    Last edited by RamblingMan; 07-18-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Sword of Azrael introduces Jean Paul Valley, ultimately the main antagonist of the whole saga. How they left it out of the omni is beyond me. Great art, great story by Denny O’Neil, highly recommended.

As for skipping volume 2, it’s funny, because I have the opposite reaction to the three - I find the first part of Knightfall proper a bit repetitive (Bruce is tired, fights villain X and barely wins while Bane watches, whines about being tired... repeat over and over.) But Knightquest I enjoy just for how firmly it uses Jean Paul to demonstrate why 90s superhero sensibilities were not great. And Volume 3 is my favorite of the three by far as the final battle of the Bats in KnightsEnd is great, and Troika is my favorite part (for obvious reasons!) I can’t imagine skipping any of it though.

So maybe my taste is skewed if most think volume 1 is the best

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Sword of Azrael introduces Jean Paul Valley, ultimately the main antagonist of the whole saga. How they left it out of the omni is beyond me. Great art, great story by Denny O’Neil, highly recommended.

As for skipping volume 2, it’s funny, because I have the opposite reaction to the three - I find the first part of Knightfall proper a bit repetitive (Bruce is tired, fights villain X and barely wins while Bane watches, whines about being tired... repeat over and over.) But Knightquest I enjoy just for how firmly it uses Jean Paul to demonstrate why 90s superhero sensibilities were not great. And Volume 3 is my favorite of the three by far as the final battle of the Bats in KnightsEnd is great, and Troika is my favorite part (for obvious reasons!) I can’t imagine skipping any of it though.

So maybe my taste is skewed if most think volume 1 is the best

Thanks for the insight! That's very helpful - to each of his own, really. By the looks of it, I know I'm going to enjoy the story regardless of the mixed reviews. Would you recommend reading first 4 Azrael issues before reading Knightfall? I'm really excited to read the trilogy!

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    I am about 2/3 the way through omnibus 2 and still really liking it. I liked it almost as
    much as the first. It’s a fresh Batman doing it his new way against villains he has no history with. I have found it interesting.

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it! I'm really looking forward to reading the trilogy! To each of his own.

Thanks for the insight! That's very helpful - to each of his own, really. By the looks of it, I know I'm going to enjoy the story regardless of the mixed reviews. Would you recommend reading first 4 Azrael issues before reading Knightfall? I'm really excited to read the trilogy!
    Absolutely, read Sword of Azrael first. It's referenced in the Knightfall prelude issues, so those will make much more sense since you will have actually been introduced to Jean Paul Valley.

I still can't get over that DC has gone out of their way to republish Knightfall so many times the last few years (redone chunky trades, omnis, then yet another set of trades) and have yet to put the full story together. Sword of Azrael is as integral to the saga as Vengeance of Bane. Including it with the first few issues of the Azrael ongoing series (which take place after Knightsend!) instead of with Knightfall is asinine and the sort of thing done by a collected editions department that seemingly can't be bothered to read the books they put together.

Absolutely, read Sword of Azrael first. It's referenced in the Knightfall prelude issues, so those will make much more sense since you will have actually been introduced to Jean Paul Valley.

I still can't get over that DC has gone out of their way to republish Knightfall so many times the last few years (redone chunky trades, omnis, then yet another set of trades) and have yet to put the full story together. Sword of Azrael is as integral to the saga as Vengeance of Bane. Including it with the first few issues of the Azrael ongoing series (which take place after Knightsend!) instead of with Knightfall is asinine and the sort of thing done by a collected editions department that seemingly can't be bothered to read the books they put together.
    Thanks a lot! It's just 4 issues correct?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Once they're done releasing these "25th Anniversary Cuts", that'll leave standard sized HC's as the only format this stuff hasn't been collected in.

Give it a few more years; maybe the 5th times a charm?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Thanks a lot! It's just 4 issues correct?
    Correct

I loved it. My only minor complaint is the length of Batman’s “ears” on the covers. They’re almost as long as his head. The proportions just don’t work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Correct
    Cheers, man! Looking forward to reading it.