Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Catching up last 35 years

Hi All

I collected comics when I was a kid and stopped around 1980, accumulating
    around 550 comics, but well chosen books - 90% Marvel 10% DC.
    Now after 35 years Id like to continue collecting again. A lot has transpired
    and I have a lot to learn.

I am trying to get an idea of what is worth collecting since 1980's in the Marvel/DC world.
    Its a loaded question but any input would help. Or even if you know of an article thatll help.
    Im looking for books that have good story lines, kick-ass artisits and have gone up in value more than others.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by moemaya; 06-20-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The most valuable book in my collection seems to be the first appearance of Deadpool from New Mutants.

Other than that, you should buy Silver Age and Golden Age comics if you are looking for investments. From the 80s on, fans started treating their comics better and moms stopped throwing them out, so they're not nearly as rare.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by moemaya View Post
    Hi All

I am trying to get an idea of what is worth collecting since 1980's in the Marvel/DC world.
    Its a loaded question but any input would help. Or even if you know of an article thatll help.
    Obviously Im looking for books that have potential or have gone up in value more than others.
    Thanks.
    That bird may have flown the coop.

Collecting with things going up in value as the main focus?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That bird may have flown the coop.

Collecting with things going up in value as the main focus?
    Sorry if i insulted you numberthirty. Im obviously into the story lines and the artists. Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, to name a few.
    In any case is there a problem with collecting for value?

Sorry if i insulted you numberthirty. Im obviously into the story lines and the artists. Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, to name a few.
    In any case is there a problem with collecting for value?
    No...

Why would I take any of that as an insult?

Well, Kirby might be nowhere near as active in the time since 1980.

As for collecting for value, one of the posts above also mentioned that increases in value just aren't a regular thing from the eighties forward. Maybe the occasional single issue, but not really runs as a whole.

All-New Member

Thanks...thats what i thought. i reformatted my question a bit as well...

As for the "Getting Back Into Collecting" aspect, would it be something you'd be less likely to do if the value was not likely to increase?

Thanks...thats what i thought. i reformatted my question a bit as well...
    Just noticed that.

On the "Good Story Lines..." element, are digital comics a thing you would consider? Would you rather stick to hard copies?

Were there any titles/story lines that you really enjoyed when you left off? Characters?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 06-20-2018 at 04:24 AM.

All-New Member

I enjoyed the villians - Galactus, Dr Doom, Goblin..Stan Lee was (is) a genius when it came to the characters...
    I would dabble into digital if there is something there...so yes..

I enjoyed the villians - Galactus, Dr Doom, Goblin..Stan Lee was (is) a genius when it came to the characters...
    I would dabble into digital if there is something there...so yes..
    If I am remembering this correctly Marvel has a monthly subscription digital service called "Marvel Unlimited". I believe it's "One Price"/"Read All You Want".

From what I've heard, it's a regular "Scrooge McDuck's Basement" of Marvel stories. Seems like it might be a good way to dip a toe into catching up on things.

Edit: Link: https://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

Ultimate Member

As far as collecting for investments, yeah...it's best to look for things from the 80's and backwards. Occasionally, a more recent comic will go up in value due to a character appearing in a movie or TV show, but after a year the value will go back down again.

If we're speaking just collecting/reading for fun...is there a particular style or type of comic you really enjoy? Are more a superhero guy or are you open to anything?

I went back to the titles I had enjoyed many years earlier, read some of the ones I remembered, and picked up some more recent back issues and some new issues of them. Spidey
    and Avengers were my favorites back in the day, and they were still going. I did a lot of reading on Wikipedia to find out what happened in all those years and to get updates on my
    favorite characters. It was actually a lot of fun. Amazing Spider-Man is a solid series to collect, if you're a fan. The comics that hold their value best feature the characters created before
    1980 by Marvel and DC, although Deadpool & Harley Quinn have fared pretty well for newer characters. Buy what you like to read and take care of what you have. If you want to treat
    it more as an investment, Silver Age Marvel superhero comics are mostly still affordable, but the key issues have already gotten incredibly expensive. There are a few from the 70's & 80's
    that have steadily risen, but I have no idea what will happen with them long term.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Stick with what you liked!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If I am remembering this correctly Marvel has a monthly subscription digital service called "Marvel Unlimited". I believe it's "One Price"/"Read All You Want".

From what I've heard, it's a regular "Scrooge McDuck's Basement" of Marvel stories. Seems like it might be a good way to dip a toe into catching up on things.

Edit: Link: https://marvel.com/comics/unlimited
    That is what I would recomend too. I still buy collected editions and a few single issues but unlimited is a great way to check out stuff.

Hi All

Im looking for books that have good story lines, kick-ass artisits and have gone up in value more than others.
    Thanks.
    Batman

The main title has been consistently very good and has been consistently in the top ten in sales month to month
    and has consistently seen its prices go up.