Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hard to find OOP omnis. Worth breaking the bank?

Hi everyone!

I've been searching for several omnis that are out of print, however the prices are incredibly high! No upcoming reprints so far. Is it worth buying these for $200 or more? Found 'X-Men Vol. 1 (Jim Lee, Claremont)' for $200. Insights are appreciated.

Cheers!

Probably not. Reprints have been coming thick and fast over the last few years. Id say its only a matter of time before they get to the Lee omnis.

Incredible Member

Only you can answer the question if it's worth it or not. Marvel has no discernible pattern on what or when things get reprinted, so how much is it worth to you to have that book on your shelf "right now." If you are trying to look at it as an investment I would say probably not as that is likely going to be top dollar for that particular volume.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been searching for several omnis that are out of print, however the prices are incredibly high! No upcoming reprints so far. Is it worth buying these for $200 or more? Found 'X-Men Vol. 1 (Jim Lee, Claremont)' for $200. Insights are appreciated.

Cheers!
    The only person that can answer that is you. It depends on how badly you want a book and how much cash you’d be willing to spend. Were it me, I’d wait. That thing will get reprinted eventually. There are at least three books I’m hoping for a reprint, but I won’t spend the money the last print runs command for them OOP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Only you can answer the question if it's worth it or not. Marvel has no discernible pattern on what or when things get reprinted, so how much is it worth to you to have that book on your shelf "right now." If you are trying to look at it as an investment I would say probably not as that is likely going to be top dollar for that particular volume.
    Agreed. Also, the answer should come down to why you really want it? Is it to display like a piece of art? Or just to read? There are alternate ways to read these issues and probably for cheaper. Some folks like the big books on their shelf so the look and uniformity is worth it to them. Personally, I think $200 is a lot for a book although I did pay that once - just once - after I had some better than expected sales on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I want to buy the book because I'd like to keep it and not merely for selling. Thanks for your insight! I might find a proper deal rather than spending a lot of money on it.

Amazing Member

Hoping they do a reprint for Hickman Avengers Omnibus Volume 1. Makes it really hard to want to buy Vol 2 when Vol 1 is OOP unless you want to pay 200-300$.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Probably not. Reprints have been coming thick and fast over the last few years. Id say its only a matter of time before they get to the Lee omnis.

Agree. Patience is the solution. Crazy to know that people will bump up the prices for these!

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Hoping they do a reprint for Hickman Avengers Omnibus Volume 1. Makes it really hard to want to buy Vol 2 when Vol 1 is OOP unless you want to pay 200-300$.
    My thoughts exactly! This is why omnis are full of suspense. You get obsessed with the issue numbers because they're all linked together!

I don’t regret any of my big purchases.
    My highest paid were Inferno, Uncanny X-Force and Age of Apocalypse. Only AoA ha since had a reprint but I was happy I bought it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    The only person that can answer that is you. It depends on how badly you want a book and how much cash you’d be willing to spend. Were it me, I’d wait. That thing will get reprinted eventually. There are at least three books I’m hoping for a reprint, but I won’t spend the money the last print runs command for them OOP.
    As much as I wanted it badly, I think it's not reasonable to spend so much money on it. That makes two of us wanting to wait. I've been long gone with comics since my teenage years and I'm reliving it again. After discovering these omnis, I can't help but get these books myself. Great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    I don’t regret any of my big purchases.
    My highest paid were Inferno, Uncanny X-Force and Age of Apocalypse. Only AoA ha since had a reprint but I was happy I bought it at the time.

Did you shell out at least 1k? AoA is cheap now. I'm on a hunt for the Wolverine Omnibus Vol. 1 (Miller, Claremont), $250 and up online though!

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

As much as I wanted it badly, I think it's not reasonable to spend so much money on it. That makes two of us wanting to wait. I've been long gone with comics since my teenage years and I'm reliving it again. After discovering these omnis, I can't help but get these books myself. Great memories!
    I’m in the same situation. Most of my purchases are nostalgia-driven. I hope you’re enjoying the journey through the past as much as I am.

Did you shell out at least 1k? AoA is cheap now. I'm on a hunt for the Wolverine Omnibus Vol. 1 (Miller, Claremont), $250 and up online though!
    £1000?! For one book? No, of course not.

As everyone said, it's your decision how much you're willing to spend on any given book. I would like to add, before spending big money on an OOP omni, first ask yourself if you could stomach spending $300 on one, only to find out a month or two later that it's getting a reprint and you could have waited six months and bought it for $50. Keeping in mind that omnis are not like single issue comics, most people don't care what printing it is. In other words, you likely won't be able to sell your $300 book for more than $50.