Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I've always liked Vicki Vale, even before the movie, though to be sure that kind of is my iconic version of her, now. I would liken her more to Lana Lang, the sorta and sadly 2nd choice to Bruce. But I say this without knowing all the relevant canon, divided as it may be over Silver and other eras.

But in a sort of contradiction she is a sort of perfect woman who got away, or the first one (and let to get away).

Catwoman may be a more iconic choice for Batman, but she has the villain past. Even Superman doesn't have a woman like that in his storyline (or does he).

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I've always liked Vicki Vale, even before the movie, though to be sure that kind of is my iconic version of her, now. I would liken her more to Lana Lang, the sorta and sadly 2nd choice to Bruce. But I say this without knowing all the relevant canon, divided as it may be over Silver and other eras.

But in a sort of contradiction she is a sort of perfect woman who got away, or the first one (and let to get away).

Catwoman may be a more iconic choice for Batman, but she has the villain past. Even Superman doesn't have a woman like that in his storyline (or does he).
    I think current Vicki (from Batman Eternal) doesn't have a direct connection with Bruce, as far as we've seen since the n52 started.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

From Nightwing #46:

Last edited by MajorHoy; 03-21-2021 at 12:57 PM. Reason: replaced missing image (or at least one I couldn't see)

BANNED

Looks like Klaus Jansen artwork. Sigh.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    She's perhaps one of the most underused characters in the DCU despite being Batman's one-time love interests. So why no love for her or does DC just don't have any ideas for her? And if BatCat is truly over for good, maybe Bruce can go on the rebound with Vicki if not anyone else? Just a thought.
    "BatCat" is not "over" for good: wasn't issue 50 wedding "cancelled" to extend it for issue 100? Wasn't that the plan?

But either way: NO, I will NEVER accept Vicki over Selina.

However: to my recollection; Vicki Vale was last utilized, dignifyingly, Batman #476, April 1992. She was part of Batman's supporting cast for a short while before so, including a neat team-up with Sarah Essen and Catwoman in Batman #460-461. By the end back then, she had moved on from Bruce, and was in a relationship with someone else. Bruce did cared enough for her to almost reveal his Batman identity, only to decide it's best for them both he chose not to after all.

Then, years and years later, she shown up again, incredibly terribly, during that period Batman "died" and came back, mostly to piece-by-piece together Batman and his family's identities, out of sniveling ingrateful sour grapes of not having him. After Bruce Wayne saved her from Ra's Al Ghul, she withdrew from that.

Apparently, she's been used a little more afterwards, but her previous usage above paragraph ruined her to me.

BANNED

I always considered Vicki Vale to be the Obnoxious Lady Reporter in the Bat-Books like Lois Lane was 'waaaaaayyyyyy back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maxima but the attraction was one-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I always considered Vicki Vale to be the Obnoxious Lady Reporter in the Bat-Books like Lois Lane was 'waaaaaayyyyyy back in the day.
    What was Dini/Timm's reason for creating Summer Gleason instead of using her?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What was Dini/Timm's reason for creating Summer Gleason instead of using her?
    No idea but she was basically Vicki.

I searched all over but haven't found any reasonings for the change.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Thank you.

Mighty Member

Maybe she married Mr. Camera.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I will always have a soft spot for her because of the 1989 movie.
    Same. I loved Kim Basinger's portrayal of the character in Batman 1989.

VickiValeKimBasinger1.jpg
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by masahikotahara View Post
    Same. I loved Kim Basinger's portrayal of the character in Batman 1989.

VickiValeKimBasinger1.jpg
    Kim was so beautiful then; she would have made a great Silver St Cloud.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Kim was so beautiful then; she would have made a great Silver St Cloud.
    Apparently she was originally meant to be Silver St Cloud (as the 89 movie took a lot of inspiration from the Marshall Rogers/Steve Englehart run) however the studio decided that "Silver St Cloud" was too stupid a name so made them change her to be Vicki Vale instead

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    No idea but she was basically Vicki.

Maybe Vicki has some sort of copyright elsewhere. And they think Vicki Vale isn't a stupid name?