Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hopefully the current regime wont be so heavy with the editorial influence

You know, sad thing is that even with editorial holding a gun to his head, Bunn still had the better run between him and Guggenheim.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Hopefully the current regime wont be so heavy with the editorial influence
    I wouldn't count on that too much.
    In any case, I won't keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    You know, sad thing is that even with editorial holding a gun to his head, Bunn still had the better run between him and Guggenheim.
    I agree.

In terms of sales does not make much difference but still think Bunn did better though to be fair Guggenheim also suffered from editorial and events. The only advantage of Guggenheim is have more freedom to choose the team members.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    It was never gonna be a new team. Just the original title for the 'Poison X' arc between X:Blue and Venom
    You were saying...
    https://www.newsarama.com/40841-x-me...e=notification
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Turns out they don't want to waste a good title lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zthe27th View Post
    Turns out they don't want to waste a good title lol
    Yup, or Bunn was hopefully pulling our leg ;D

I hope Bunn is writing it. IF not then my interest level is low. I trust Bunn to write Mags as a questionable antihero without regressing him too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I hope Bunn is writing it. IF not then my interest level is low. I trust Bunn to write Mags as a questionable antihero without regressing him too much.
    Bunn confirmed on Twitter that he will not be writing X-Men Black. I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

I posted this is the wrong thread. This is where my thoughts on Mr. Bunn's podcast interview should be!

(1) I don't think there was any editorial "interference" and I don't think Bunn said there was. Stories have to be changed sometimes. It happens all the time, even to the superstar writers like Bendis. Editors edit. That's their job. Bunn is a professional and this is work for hire, he's playing with Marvel's toys. In fact, I think the editors kept Bunn writing Magneto as an anti-hero, because he apparently didn't want to. That's a good thing. But editors are supposed to provide guidance; there are Marvel policies, continuity issues, character beats that might be needed for other books or future projects. All Bunn said was that story lines were changed because of all the other books and projects that were going on. I think he said that a few story lines were changed and he doesn't know why. But he's a pro, and he rolled with it.

Like I said, it's work for hire. Mr. Bunn didn't have to take X-MEN BLUE and write the O5 if he didn't want to. And he was allowed to take Magneto, at his request.

We all complain when our favorite characters are written badly, or continuity is ignored, or there is no consistency between the various books. That's what editors are supposed to be doing--making sure our favorite characters are kept consistent and their history, continuity are respected. In the case of characters like Magneto and Emma Frost, editors are supposed to make sure neither of them is pushed too far in the direction of "villain" because they are gray-area characters now. I don't want writers doing whatever they want to characters because of a personal wishlist. I want an editor to step in and say, "No, this is going too far" when necessary.

2) Regarding Cullen Bunn's repeated assertion that Magneto has "always been a villain" this is blatantly, demonstrably NOT true either in the real world, or in the Marvel Universe. I hate that word anyway, it's outdated. It implies a super hero caste system, like a Medieval morality play, where everyone is stuck in their role, and can't think, can't review their lives, can't change. That's not what modern Marvel is all about. These characters are capable of change. Heroes and "villains" aren't entire bodies and minds that are always good or always bad; white hats and black hats. That's simplistic, even dangerous. (Even Pixar cartoons for little kids have mocked the old-fashioned concept of "villain" in super hero stories.) There are people who have transgressed, done horrible things, who can do good. There are good people who can do something evil. There are especially characters who can change, who are on redemption arcs. There is nothing more important than a redemption arc in a story.

Chris Claremont began Magneto's redemption, and it's gone forward one step forward, two steps backward, ever since. I'm hoping that Mr. Bunn's personal opinions about characters as a fan himself do not interfere with his job as a professional writer to portray these characters as they stand now in the current Marvel Universe. I am really nervous about what will happen to Magneto at the end of Mr. Bunn's BLUE run. He started out with the MAGNETO series on a high note--even though I didn't personally like Magneto being so violent--Bunn (with POSITIVE, GOOD, APPROPRIATE editorial guidance) kept a balance between the good man inside Magneto's heart, and the darkness. Now, at the end of his Magneto writing, he seems to be going too far, insisting that Magneto was "always" a villain when he himself said in an interview a year ago, that Magneto was an anti-hero, and he was writing him as an anti-hero in his UNCANNY run. It just strikes me as too convenient, too pat, that now the anti-hero Magneto is being thrown under the bus (so to speak). I love Cullen Bunn's writing by the way; his horror graphic novels and prose is really good. His Magneto was fantastic until last week. This all seems really strange to me, how easily everything is swerved, regressed, twisted when someone (don't know who exactly) wants to go somewhere they shouldn't go with these characters.

Sorry again for the repeat post.

Spectacular Member

Hah

No Body On Panel + Impossibility of Reconciling Timeline = Disney Death to be reversed with next writer and/or editor

Trevor Forevermore!