Spectacular Member

Default Starting over, looking for a new job again

I don't post too often. I just to vent a little.
    I lost a pretty good job today and I'm sad.

I'm an IT guy, call center stuff mostly, some hands on stuff when I'm lucky.
    I am getting too old to look for another job. I wish the retirement age would go back down again.

It would feel better if it was just outsourced again, or I know what I did.
    CBR's been my go too while I'm at work, it gives me a little distraction between calls, now I may be a few weeks or so for me to find something else.
    I am over 50 so I'm concerned about that.
    I did get myself in pretty good shape at this job. I was to focus and drop about 130 pounds, with my co-workers encouragement, now I really have to keep from going to the kitchen.
    I've been pretty busy on ebay, and I'll try to sell off more stuff once I find out what my income on employment is going to be.
    last time it took me a year to find a good job.
    I've got a big Cruise/visiit my dad in florida trip lined up. It's mostly paid for so I'll make sure it happens.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I wish you the best of luck as I was in between jobs last year myself. I relocated in December and it took me 6 months to get used to a new city and "feel welcome" there. I had trouble with my self esteem and became a bit of a recluse but now I feel a growing confidence and important for me is calming down with the help of comic books, books and movies daily. I never pursued a career but need to work a job that isn't too shitty.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I hope you continue on your self improvement path. It helps if you keep a positive attitude while you are on your job search. I was laid off during that financial crisis and it was so bad they extended the usual length of your unemployment benefits twice. Be sure to ask for job search assistance at your local Work One office (if that's what they call it in your state) In fact, while I was job hunting I was able to get a part time job there helping clients. If you're a veteran, that's a plus because they make them high priority. If you've not been job searching for a while, they might be able to help there too. I do know that when I was working there, some companies post jobs there that they don't post on the job search sites. They can also provide advice on polishing up your resume. I know when I took mine in, it was several pages long. Right off the bat they said to trim it down to about a page or two. If you can, have a colleague read it over too for some tips.

Of course, the benefits allowed always seem to be changing. But when I was working part time, I still qualified for partial benefits since I was laid off from a full time job.

Spectacular Member

Interview today and tomorrow. Today's is place that needs to hire on the spot for a project. Tomorrow's longer term jobs.

Sad to hear about the old job. Good luck on those interviews.

Spectacular Member

Looking at my post count, I guess I only a lurker.
    1st interview went better than I thought but they don't like that I have a trip in September planned. So they may have to wait until after.
    3 new interviews lined up, but I'm letting them know before I go out to them about the trip.

Sad to hear about the sudden job loss. Mostly, these kinds of events can be turned into opportunities, but they still suck quite a bit. Hope things get better really soon for you
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I was in that spot last year and felt I'd be working for the company I was with for the long term. Anyhow I later found something I kinda dig right now.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.