Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men Elsewhen By John Byrne

[John Byrne has begun writing and drawing a continuation of his iconic X-Men run, picking up from the end of Uncanny X-Men #136 in a alt-history take on the franchise.

"Just had one of my wilder ideas. Remember when Chris was doing X-Men Forever, picking up from when he left the book? Immediately some people started speculating about me doing the same, X-Men Evermor, picking up from my own exit point," Byrne wrote on his forum. "But just now I thought of something that would be even more fun. For the sake of reference, let's call it X-Men Elsewhen, picking up with the coda of X-Men #136, but proceeding as if Shooter hadn't thrown his king-sized monkey wrench into the works! So Jean* doesn't die, Scott doesn't leave, and, well, a whole bunch of other stuff does and doesn't happen.

"(And, no, not scripted by Chris!!)," Byrne adds. "Never gonna happen, but fun to think about."
    https://www.newsarama.com/40823-john...ewhen-run.html

Eight pages of it so far have been completed, they can be found on his forum

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f...N=1&totPosts=7
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-16-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Looks interesting, although it's hard to tell what's going on. I love the concept because it's well known by now what the original ending for the Phoenix Saga would have entailed. Even with that What If issue, there are a lot of opportunities for diverging timelines. I would love to see this developed, but I have a feeling that this is the most we can hope for.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I was reading a few days ago, funny ago, don't have much faith on it thought, Byrne's writing is past his prime IMO, his artwork looks weird.

Looks like he's having fun, anyway.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Kitty falls and dies? I remember there being some misunderstanding as to how Kitty's powers were supposed to work. I guess John is going back to the concept where Kitty doesn't phase, the objects that she happens to be touching does??? Or maybe I'm misreading that panel altogether. Because if she had phased through the plane, I'm pretty sure it would caused some of the electronics to go haywire.

Anyway, it's good to see John still churning out pages. But for my sake it's too late to do anything X-men related. I enjoyed his cosmic FF stuff much more.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

This doesn't look good.

X-Men Elsewhen is the BEST X-Book I have "read" in years.
    Looks good. Wish it was a "real" book.

Maybe we should have a dedicated fanfiction/fanworks thread for this stuff to go into, instead of starting up a new one every time

Surprised if there isn't one already tbf

BANNED

Why can't John Bryne write a normal X-book instead of those fake alt-reality stuff?

Spectacular Member

Blame Joe Quesada , cancelling succesful books in a failing market tsk tsk tsk only to bring it back again years later as Xmen First Class

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Honestly I think these pages look gorgeous, much better than Byrne's most recent and more cartoony stuff.

Love Byrne and his x-men run, as well as Alpha Flight, I really like his art and he Puzzle me he didn't get a chance to have his X-Men book, or even a new Alpha F

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Why can't John Bryne write a normal X-book instead of those fake alt-reality stuff?
    Cause he’s old AF and he wants to Make X-Men Great Again, so he’s committed to living in his own bubble.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Honestly I think these pages look gorgeous, much better than Byrne's most recent and more cartoony stuff.
    I agree. This is some of his best-looking stuff in years.

In regards to older creators like this who still have tons of ideas, I'm not opposed to separate, out-of-continuity miniseries. I'm sure it'd sell enough, especially from nostalgic fans, to justify the costs. That seemed to be Neal Adams's bread and butter a couple years ago, what with that Batman mini, the Superman mini and, of course, First X-Men, which, while pretty poor overall, was an interesting throwback exercise.

I know I'd be game for this as a mini.

I don't know why miniseries (outside of events) seem to have gone out-of-vogue, but I think they're great. I mean actual miniseries and not Alonso's idiotic "seasonal" model, where everything was labeled an ongoing even though tons of them would've been better off being labeled as miniseries (looking at you, Storm, Nightcrawler and, I hate to say it, Angela).
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 07-17-2018 at 05:12 AM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

An update, Byrne is now working on a flashback scene with Kitty and has added dialogue to the previously uploaded pages.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...omic-evermore/