Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Did anyone NOT have a problem with the plot of the 2011 Green Lantern film

I like Ryan Reynolds but he was miscast in the film IMO. However, I thought the plot of the movie was pretty interesting.

Maybe it was too much for an intro film - Hector Hammond, Sinestro, and Parallax all in one film. But I thought it was all interesting. I would've really liked a sequel where Sinestro turns rogue for sure.

What was your problem(s) with the film?

Boisterously Confused

Parralax and Hammond together, plus Oa and the whole GLC absolutely were too much at once. Might have worked better with just GL and Hammond, and The Guardians as a future film teaser.

As I think about it, I didn't mind Reynolds as a young Jordan in modern times. The kind of guy that could be a fearless test pilot, might be a bit of an overbearing jerk.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Apparently the script and story was orginally done by the guy who does all of the Arrowverse shows and was a MCU style love letter, but the producers completely tore it apart yet left his name on it. He was so upset with how his script was handled he left Warner Bros and he only came back when he was promised he could do Arrow and the other shows without the interference he had on GL.

Retired

I for one liked the movie. Yes it had problems--mainly because WB fooled around with the movie in post-production (sound like any other movies we know). But the plots were all good plots--they're plots that would be on the top ten list of Green Lantern plots. Trying to fit all those plots in one movie (which was not the fault of Ryan Reynolds or Martin Campbell), trying to do it all in post-production and then cutting that movie down to 105 minutes, that was too much to ask of one movie.

I don't think Ryan Reynolds was miscast. He was my ideal actor for Hal Jordan before a Green Lanterm movie was even possiblle. Mark Strong was a good Sinestro--but that whole story belonged in another movie. The first movie should have been about Hal--with everything about the Guardians and the Corps being teased for another movie. They shouldn't have thrown more money at the movie--which just bloated the budget and made it that much harder for it to show a profit.

To me Hector Hammond is Tony Stark (a rich playboy inventor with a moustache) who has bad luck. I understand what they were going for with the Peter Sarsgaard version--but I thought that was too much for this movie, especially once it had all these other things it had to do. The movie needed to be about Hal and the villain should have been someone like the Shark, a monster to be defeated so Hal can show his worth.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Apparently the script and story was orginally done by the guy who does all of the Arrowverse shows and was a MCU style love letter, but the producers completely tore it apart yet left his name on it. He was so upset with how his script was handled he left Warner Bros and he only came back when he was promised he could do Arrow and the other shows without the interference he had on GL.
    I would have loved to see that film. I'd also been curious to see what Reynolds would have done with Hal as he matured and seasoned.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed it, just thought they tried to fit too much into one movie.

I thought the movie had one too many plots, same as the 3rd Spider-Man movie.

Each of the plots on their own was okay, but origin/Sinestro + Hector + Parallax was one too many.

They should have probably left Hector out. Sinestro/Oa was the best part. I would have liked to see a sequel where Sinestro goes bad OR they should have done that as the finale of the first one and scrapped Parallax as well. I get that Parallax was needed so there was a big galactic threat to involve the Corps, but Parallax is such an oddly constructed villain I feel like it woulod have worked better for a sequel.

I didn't hate Reynolds in the role, but I still feel like Nathan Fillion was born to play Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Did anyone NOT have a problem with the plot of the 2011 Green Lantern film
    I didn't.

But then again, I haven't seen it / don't have any plans to see it in the foreseeable future.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I enjoyed it, just thought they tried to fit too much into one movie.
    Yep. Too much crammed into too little film.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I didn't hate Reynolds in the role, but I still feel like Nathan Fillion was born to play Hal.
    Fillion would have been great 10 or even 5 years earlier, but he was getting a little stout by 2011.

I was huge GL fan and the time and the movie was horrible.

The story and character lines made no sense.

The villains were just plain lame.

The special effects were okay aside from the stupid cgi suit.

The only thing redeemable in that movie is Sinestro.

I say this as huge DC fan the excuses a helluva lot of things but that movie, no. Barely above Catwoman as the worst DC flick ever made.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I say this as huge DC fan the excuses a helluva lot of things but that movie, no. Barely above Catwoman as the worst DC flick ever made.
    I understand not liking it, but I can't see it being even close to being the worst. IMO, Catwoman and Superman IV are infinitely worse (Supergirl, too, except for dreamy Helen Slater ).

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I understand not liking it, but I can't see it being even close to being the worst. IMO, Catwoman and Superman IV are infinitely worse (Supergirl, too, except for dreamy Helen Slater ).
    How does Jonah Hex compare?

(I haven't seen that one, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How does Jonah Hex compare?

(I haven't seen that one, either.)
    That was worse, too.

Another one to possibly throw in to the "worse" category (and I unfortunately PAID $'s TO SEE IT IN A MOVIE THEATER):

from 1982,