Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

All of them post 2000... save for Aunt May. I mean it's pretty hard to mess that up when all she does is sit in the kitchen baking bean pies, sippin prune juice while gossiping with Anna Watson all day.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    IMO, a lot of Marvel characters are, at the moment, being written out of character without any sort of logical explanation. Wonder if you guys feel the same way and would want to specify who you think is and how.

Off the top of my head, I would say Star-Lord, X-23, Hawkeye, Thor, Carol Danvers, Mockingbird, Carol Danvers, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Jean Grey, Jane Foster, Squirrel Girl, Iceman, Luke Cage, Daken, Jessica Drew, Jubilee, Lady Deathstrike, Quicksilver, Beast, AoA Blink, Kitty Pryde, Falcon, Jocasta, and She-Hulk.
    How are these characters being written out of character? You're not specifying.

This is seeming less like a thread of logical discussion and more a place of venting because you would be unwelcome in the appreciation threads of these characters. Is there also a particular reason why you listed Carol Danvers twice?

Iceman, Beast, Xavier and Cyclops for sure. Honestly I don't recognize most of the X-Men any more. Not since Morrison's run I guess.

I will say, on a positive note, that I'm really happy Rogue and Gambit have finally gotten "back" together. KT seems to be doing those characters much justice. It's like she went back in time to the early 90's and finished what others started and failed to finish. VERY happy with Rogue's current, R&G and beyond characterization. Carey did a lot of damage to her IMO and I'm glad she's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    This is seeming less like a thread of logical discussion and more a place of venting because you would be unwelcome in the appreciation threads of these characters. Is there also a particular reason why you listed Carol Danvers twice?
    No. That was an accident.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Feels more like some just hate modern Marvel on principle. "It's not like how it was 20 years ago!". Then the same people will complain "What is up with all this nostalgia wank?!"

Honestly, most characters seem fine to me. How the f$%k is Jean Grey out of character anyway?

And by the way, OOC is supposed to be for a little time. If it keeps happening, then it's part of the character, for better or for worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    How the f$%k is Jean Grey out of character anyway?
    Have you been reading X-Men: Red? She's a vindictive segregationist with little restraint toward invading peoples' minds. That's far from the strong, but compassionate and ethical Jean that existed prior to Morrison.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Have you been reading X-Men: Red? She's a vindictive segregationist with little restraint toward invading peoples' minds. That's far from the strong, but compassionate and ethical Jean that existed prior to Morrison.
    never looked at it that way..
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

Falcon is a social worker-so how is he out of character?Or is the fact he actually had two solo books the issues? He's not behind Steve anymore.

She Hulk was done for a reason-a few missiles hit you and your cousin dies and Rhodey does too-might have you go nuts for a while too.

Jane Foster? Really? She was Thor and doing something more than just dying.

Now Black Panther out of character-YES.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I'm not sure if it's entirely OOC because Loki's character contains multitudes, but I generally think that Jason Aaron has done the least satisfying job of following up on Loki after Agent of Asgard out of all the writers to handle Loki since Ewing.

Off the top of my head, I would say Star-Lord, X-23, Hawkeye, Thor, Carol Danvers, Mockingbird, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Jean Grey, Jane Foster, Squirrel Girl, Iceman, Luke Cage, Daken, Jessica Drew, Jubilee, Lady Deathstrike, Quicksilver, Beast, AoA Blink, Kitty Pryde, Falcon, Jocasta, and She-Hulk.
    I'm curious as to why you think Jocasta and Quicksilver are being written OOC.

I've found her to be none of those things in Red. You're reading into it what you want to read into it. She hasn't been vindictive. She's not really a segregationist, she's recognizing strength in numbers and the need for mutants to have a safe place of their own where oppressive governments can't hunt them. And she's only gone into the heads of people attacking her or other mutants. She's shown compassion, and she's still ethical.

And it's worth remembering that Jean's also long had a hard side. For all she was the team mom, she was a lot fiercer than people generally think of her. The '90s cartoon made her fairly bland, but in the comics, by the '90s, I would argue she was the hardest and most intimidating of the O5. Also the most compassionate, yeah, but piss her off, and she was downright scary.

When does being written out of character become written in character? For example I can't imagine Star Lord being written in his original way again. So when does the current out of character become the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I disagree with this statement. I think that especially with characters that have been written consistently for decades, there's just no excuse for a writer to come up and make the character act not according to his or her personality as it has been portrayed for years. There are literally thousands of books as reference. If a writer doesn't know about a character prior to writing them, that's pretty strange to me.

Let's say, for example, that a writer comes along and decide to write Wasp as the damsel in distress, incapable of taking decisions or actions, hiding behind other heroes and not stepping up to the game, I'd be pretty bothered by that, and I bet you'd be too. Because that's just not who she is.
    But there is no female character written like that anymore for Marvel, so it's not the kind of change any Marvel writer makes. It's not something that would ever happen.

I guarantee you if and when she gets a solo, it's not going to be something we envision. For example Domino's solo writes her in a way she's never been written before, super out of character. But it happens, and will always keep happening because a few or even a couple decades ago it was easier to know where to get reference for the character you're going to write. Now there are so many characters, so many stories they appeared in. Writers mostly just get a general idea of the character and go with their own vision

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    When does being written out of character become written in character? For example I can't imagine Star Lord being written in his original way again. So when does the current out of character become the norm?
    That's a different story though, when a character appears in a movie, you can kiss their comic book personality goodbye for the next decade.

Watch Carol be unrecognizable in comics after her movie comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I'm curious as to why you think Jocasta and Quicksilver are being written OOC.
    Jocasta in the new Iron Man and Quicksilver in the No Surrender mini.