View Poll Results: What is your favorite modern Superman film?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman Returns

14 20.90%
  • Man of Steel

36 53.73%
  • Batman V Superman

6 8.96%
  • Justice League

11 16.42%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Favorite modern Superman movie

I'd like to know what is the favorite Superman movie of the modern age (2000 -> ) in this forum.

For me MAN OF STEEL is the best modern Superman movie. I think it's great overall. I appreciate the brand new origin for the character. I think the action is fantastic and I really like the story.

I also like the other movies in varying degrees. I'll expand later.

Note: I know BvS and JL are not true Superman films, but he has a sizable and relevant role in them, so I'll include them.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 07-16-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

MoS hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I'd like to know what is the favorite Superman movie of the modern age (2000 -> ) in this forum.

For me MAN OF STEEL is the best modern Superman movie. I think it's great overall. I appreciate the brand new origin for the character. I think the action is fantastic and I really like the story.

I also like the other movies in varying degrees. I'll expand later.

Note: I know BvS and JL are not true Superman films, but he has a sizable and relevant role in them, so I'll include them.
    Hmm, since JL and BvS are not truly Superman movies, that brings it down to really being SR vs MoS. Although there were things I liked about all of them, and although I think MoS was overall the best of them in spite of some huge mistakes, the truth is that, on a purely visceral level, JL was the one I loved the most and specifically because of Superman though there were also other things. So JL.
    Power with Girl is better.

All-New Member

I have a problem with MoS... Why would Zod and his warriors come to earth, find out the powers the yellow sun can give to them (they should have the technology to inform them that the yellow sun gives them powers of a god and a longer life span) and not want to harness it to their advantage? why would they want to go back to being a powerless as humans by creating another Krypton?? and where do you go with a plot that Superman carries all of Kryptons genetic ancestries??
    Wouldn't it have worked better if they went with the Brainiac causing the destruction of Krypton root, which would have create a bigger variations of stories to go from and could have spilled into JL?

Astonishing Member

Not really a fan of any of them, but Man of Steel wins because whatever my problems with it, it was a Superman movie.

Returns was actually more depressing than anything. Superman needs to be rescued by Lois and her new boyfriend. Heck, Richard White actually came off as more heroic than Superman. Superman has a son but the movie ends with no idea of what the relationship will be between them going forward.

BvS had my least favorite superhero trope (good guys fight) and ends with a dead Superman.

Justice League might have had a shot at edging out MOS if we didn't have that horrid Superman returns from the dead and attacks the League moment. And if it had focused more on Superman (not a complaint with the movie- just not something that keeps it from ranking higher as a Superman film).

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Justice League wins by default even if it isn't really a Superman movie, because for all the genuine strengths of the others it's the only one that doesn't on a fundamental make me go "oh wow, oh jeez oh gosh oh wow, they ****ed up so bad".
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Justice League wins by default even if it isn't really a Superman movie, because for all the genuine strengths of the others it's the only one that doesn't on a fundamental make me go "oh wow, oh jeez oh gosh oh wow, they ****ed up so bad".
    I'm guessing you put the OOC way he acts immediately after being reborn as just a side-effect of resurrection or as a small enough scene that the rest of the film redeems it?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man of Steel made a very good summer great for me. I was as blown away in that theater as Pa Kent was during his dramatic exit. It had a very large amount of action, and I have to imagine that the fight scenes were in response to the previous films containing little of the sort. The cast did a great job, the aesthetics were phenomenal, and I really felt like it hit all of the Superman that SMIII didn't cover, much as I also dug that movie. A nice complement even if unintentional.

Watching it later on with different people and alone, the only gripe I have is that some of the dialogue between characters feels hollow. Michael Shannon is a good actor, but for some reason I think he had some of the weakest delivery.

BvS is really close despite me initially being too put off to see it until about 8 months after it came out. The only real knock I have is that Superman is melancholy almost entirely before his death. That has a different, imo less compelling effect than Emma Stone dying at the end of Amazing Spider-Man 2. It feels like "life sucks then you die." Between that and the Justice League commercial they stuck into the movie with no subtlety, I have to place it 2nd. 5th overall for movies featuring Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by MzTrop View Post
    I have a problem with MoS... Why would Zod and his warriors come to earth, find out the powers the yellow sun can give to them (they should have the technology to inform them that the yellow sun gives them powers of a god and a longer life span) and not want to harness it to their advantage? why would they want to go back to being a powerless as humans by creating another Krypton?? and where do you go with a plot that Superman carries all of Kryptons genetic ancestries??
    Wouldn't it have worked better if they went with the Brainiac causing the destruction of Krypton root, which would have create a bigger variations of stories to go from and could have spilled into JL?
    The world engine wouldn't terra form the sun, and if it did compromise their powers through the atmosphere it would still be preferable to living on regular earth.