View Poll Results: What is your favorite modern Superman film?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superman Returns

14 20.90%
  • Man of Steel

36 53.73%
  • Batman V Superman

6 8.96%
  • Justice League

11 16.42%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I didn't find Amy Lois annoying. I think Lois Lane is supposed to be a really great reporter and very professional. It's why she wins Pulitzer prizes. I like Margot Lois too but she didn't seem very professional at times, and I don't buy Lois not knowing how to write.

I also like that Amy Lois was a bit arrogant at first, but then how she changed her views when he came into contact with Superman. I think she became somewhat more humble.
    Margot Lois' seeming lack of professionalism is mostly due to the tone of the movies, I figured. As has been mentioned on this thread, when the movie's tone is a bit more humorous or quirky, lack of realism kind of gets lost in the fun. Like, when she's trying to prove that Clark was Superman, and it gets all slapsticky, I'm fine with that. I do sort of think some of the other weird high jinks go too far, though, and makes some of those Lois scenes age pretty badly.

And Injustice's premise is just awful. I can't imagine too many Super fans being happy with seeing Superman turn evil because his wife died, or Lois getting the fridge. But this is what happens when the story's not written with care for the characters in mind.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Man of Steel is my favorite modern Superman movie, but the franchise feels a bit stillborn at this moment. I would be shocked and so happy if they announced another Cavill Superman, but I think the money folks are gun shy at this point.

MOS without a doubt.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Man of Steel is my favorite modern Superman movie, but the franchise feels a bit stillborn at this moment. I would be shocked and so happy if they announced another Cavill Superman, but I think the money folks are gun shy at this point.
    Cavill nailed the more optimistic tone in Justice League, so I'd absolutely love to see a sequel in that spirit.

I have a feeling he's about to get a lot busier after his well-received work in Mission Impossible: Fallout.

I don't think the Donner films get enough credit for the darker story elements. The quirky tone is important because it balances things out. Superman is often deeply sad but never in a brooding or cynical way. He's an alien realizing he can never truly fit it, not in the way he wants to, but he also takes real joy in the work that sets him apart from the people he wants to be closer with. It's not outdated, as Grant Morrison captures pretty much the exact same idea and tone with All-Star Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Cavill nailed the more optimistic tone in Justice League, so I'd absolutely love to see a sequel in that spirit.

I have a feeling he's about to get a lot busier after his well-received work in Mission Impossible: Fallout.
    That was well-received? Wow. I felt like he had a hard time maintaining an American accent in the film. Either that, or my mind was injecting his natural accent onto his voice.

He did look like an absolute monster standing next to Tom Cruise, though...

#MostExpensiveMustache

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    That was well-received? Wow. I felt like he had a hard time maintaining an American accent in the film. Either that, or my mind was injecting his natural accent onto his voice.

He did look like an absolute monster standing next to Tom Cruise, though...

#MostExpensiveMustache
    Yes, his performance is getting great reviews. LOL on the mustache controversy. He's admitted it wasn't worth the trouble!

Anyway, I hope the DCEU gets the ball rolling on a MOS sequel before he gets too busy. That said, he seems to really enjoy playing Superman and wants more opportunities.

Yes, his performance is getting great reviews. LOL on the mustache controversy. He's admitted it wasn't worth the trouble!

Anyway, I hope the DCEU gets the ball rolling on a MOS sequel before he gets too busy. That said, he seems to really enjoy playing Superman and wants more opportunities.
    Although I don't care too much for the movies except I did like his performance in JL, there are aspects I like. In a way, I like the idea of a true Superman (which he is) in a world that just will not bend to match him. In other words, it won't turn into a Silver Age or even Post-Crisis world to match him. It remains a world where he comes across at least to me as even more noble because the world is so dark. Given the world he lives in and his upbringing, I don't blame the character himself for moping or having great self-doubt. It's not my favorite take but, as a character, he gets a lot of slack. He didn't get Glenn Ford or John Schneider's Jonathan Kent as his primary male role model. He got the version written for Kevin Costner to play (and it's not Costner's fault either). Taking that into consideration, he's a fantastic Superman.

One of the most poignant scenes, even if it was contrived, was when he believed his only choice was to either kill Batman or let his mother die. As he rises into the air, he looks at Lois and says something along the lines of, "Nobody stays good in this filthy world". Ironically, he did stay good. Killing someone in the heat of battle to save lives was one thing. Cold-blooded murder, even to save his mother, was a line he couldn't cross.

So my new approach is that I'm trying to look at it like this. He has overcome a horrible background and still he is Superman or has become Superman at last.
    Power with Girl is better.

I'm really just going off his performance in JL and films not connected to the DCEU. I don't personally care for the tone of MOS and BvS, at least not as a Superman story. It feels almost like a Superman pastiche to me, as if they were tying to say something about Superman by looking at him through lens of a completely different character. Sort of like Waid's Invulnerable but not that extreme.

In my head canon, I'd probably just grab some bits and pieces from MOS and BvS, jettison the rest, and look at JL as the place where his story essentially begins.

In my head canon, I'd probably just grab some bits and pieces from MOS and BvS, jettison the rest, and look at JL as the place where his story essentially begins.
    I quite like Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman, and I wouldn't explicitly jettison any of it, but I'll admit if I was boss of the world and they put me in charge of another Superman movie, I'd fill in the substantial amount of blanks from those two films with stuff more in tone of JL.

For example, start with a scene taking place after Clark's dad's funeral where Clark tells Lana goodbye, then launch into an opening credits montage of Clark as "Joe" repeatedly saving people, helping out, and disappearing, then show a few clips from Man of Steel, then show him working at the Planet, doing Superman stuff, helping clean up and rebuild the city after the Battle with Zod's forces, fighting criminals, going undercover, submitting exposés as Clark Kent, saving Lois, working with Lois as Clark, working with Lois as Superman, getting saved by Lois, flying around, fighting a few robots or monsters or something, working with STAR labs to try and figure out Kryptonian tech, giving a TED talk, saving a runaway train, a few clips from Batman v. Superman, a few clips of Lois being sad, a few clips from Justice League, and then a few more scenes of him just doing Superman and Clark Kent stuff, before launching into the movie proper.

Give or take some scenes of him in that trippy Kryptonian afterlife from Death and Return of Superman. I always kind of liked that, honestly.

Oh, and "Free Bird" is playing the whole time. The Lana scene gets the first part where he's saying goodbye and breaking up, the second verse is maybe while he's saving people and constantly moving on as "Joe", and then the epic guitar solo starts when he first becomes Superman.

I mean, you know, this is all a thought experiment, haha! But I think it sounds pretty fun.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

Many fans are speculating that it's Billy Batson talking to Superman at the beginning of JUSTICE LEAGE and we will see that scene in SHAZAM! I'm not sure if that makes a lot of sense--as the SHAZAM! trailer indicates it takes place after the death and rebirth of Superman, so the Billy in JL would have to be the homeless kid who is sleeping rough. It seems more likely to me that the kid would be Freddy Freeman as he's a big fan of Superman (and other heroes) and he would try to talk to Superman, if given the chance.

But I would like that scene in SHAZAM! for the simple reason that they would most likely redo the scene all over again. And they could even re-edit the JUSTICE LEAGUE with a better version of Superman sans moustache for a future DVD extended cut.

Not that the moustache thing bugged me per se in the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. I quite literally couldn't see it. I wonder at the powers of people who could see it. Cavill did seem off to me in that scene--to the extent that at first I didn't know if it was supposed to be him or someone else cosplaying as Superman. But he just looked not quite right to me--the hair, the eyes, the costume--all were a little different from how he looked in BVS. Then again, from day to day, people do look different in appearance. It's actually unrealistic how consistent actors look in movies, whereas most of us are constantly changing our look (what shampoo I use can seriously impact my appearance).

It wasn't just Cavill either who seemed to change from scene to scene. Affleck looked different in various shots. As did Gadot.

One day, I'd like the CGI experts to walk me through and explain exactly what they see that tells them whether CGI is good or not. In the early Spider-Man movies, for sure, he looks like an animated figure when he's swinging between buildings. But a lot of other CGI looks okay to me. In the AQUAMAN trailer, I know it's CGI because those scenes are impossible in real life--but I can't see anything in the shots that tells me why it's bad (as some critics say). I wonder if self-styled experts are just trying to get one over on the rest of us--because it's pretty easy to say the CGI is bad and never have to back up that claim.

If it's supposed to look like a comic book and comic books use stylized imagery--shouldn't we expect stylized imagery in a comic book movie? I would think that if the CGI was based too much in reality, it wouldn't be as impressive or stunning. What made Star Wars popular, back in the day, wasn't a 2001 kind of Kubrick photo-realism--it was the fantastical look of the movies. So, while I grant that really bad CGI is an obvious thing, there's this middle ground of CGI that's a subjective determination.

Interesting POLL results.. nice to see JL getting love. Glad MOS is winning too.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1034920937358086146

Master Hero Vladimir

This is a bit complicated. I think Man of Steel is the best movie, but honestly Batman v. Superman hits me the hardest. Not only does it make me care about the characters, it makes me think "what if the events played out differently?" Overall, I'm a fan of the DCEU and its treatment of Superman, so I'm still hoping for the best.