Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default New Nick Spencer Interview on MJ+Peter's Relationship,etc

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ffb0238d43b8

Spencer, like many fans, assumed rules were in place to keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane apart. Quesada told him that was never Marvel’s intention when they decided to erase Spider-Man’s marriage to Mary Jane from continuity years ago, during the Spider-Man “One More Day” story.

“Once I had that piece of the puzzle in place, everything else came together and improved massively,” Spencer told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs.

Suddenly, knowing Mary Jane could be a romantic part of the story made Spencer’s plans for the series “one thousand times better.”

Marvel’s former top couple are front and center at the beginning and end of Spencer’s first “The Amazing Spider-Man” tale. The story opens with a flashback: Spider-Man (in his classic black-and-white suit) and Mary Jane are atop a skyscraper, both smiling, both in love, both happy. It’s a nod to one of Spencer’s favorite Spider-Man stories ever, a “The Sensational Spider-Man” annual written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Salvador Larroca in 2006.

During the issue, Spidey endures classic Peter Parker problems such as losing his job, rent worries and roommate issues. Mary Jane can do nothing but laugh in Peter’s face at the ridiculousness of supervillains not being the worst part of his life. At the end, Mary Jane lets Spider-Man (and readers) know she’ll be there with him for the good and bad during these new adventures.

“It’s kind of funny how it all turned out,” Spencer said. “Obviously, it’s a huge moment for the fans — they’re very excited. I’m very glad we got it in there.”

BANNED

So Spencer had to be told Peter and MJ weren't off-limits?

It's kind of sad but makes a lot of sense that any author looking in on the Spidey franchise would just assume MJ and Peter weren't supposed to be together after going through all that trouble to end their marriage. It seemed like Slott was doing everything he could to keep them separated during his run. I hadn't realized how little I believed they'd end up together until the last page of Spider-Man #1.

It always struck me as weird to see some Spider-fans saying Spencer's run is a "take that" to Slott's when it was clear from the word "go" that Spencer respected his colleague. Or about undoing OMD, when Spencer was having dinner with Quesada and Quesada gave his blessings to Spencer writing the Peter/MJ romance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It always struck me as weird to see some Spider-fans saying Spencer's run is a "take that" to Slott's when it was clear from the word "go" that Spencer respected his colleague. Or about undoing OMD, when Spencer was having dinner with Quesada and Quesada gave his blessings to Spencer writing the Peter/MJ romance.
    Not to mention Quesada approved Renew Your Vows after it was pitched by Slott, and he looks the other way while the daily strip keeps the two married also.

Joe's fine with a married Peter and a Peter and MJ relationship, he just doesn't want the marriage near the main line.

That's why Joe telling Spencer it was for Peter to be with MJ surprised me...he's had a few years proving to the fans he's willing to let the pairing stand lately, all while Spencer's been working at the company. What kind of communication goes on there?
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-17-2018 at 10:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Not too surprising.

If you're not privy to the editorial edicts of a particular office, you might make certain assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not too surprising.

If you're not privy to the editorial edicts of a particular office, you might make certain assumptions.
    Quesada was also more involved with other facets of Marvel until Cebulski became EIC.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Not too surprising.

Go read what I said above. It was surprising to me because surely writers ought to be kept informed by their colleagues what is and is'nt off limits in the office at any given time.

Quesada has no one to blame for the high level of internal confusion but himself. Rightly or wrongly his vocal publically stated opinions at the time of OMD made it seem clear the Marvel Office was anti-PeterxMJ. I can fully understand Spencer's uncertainty.

Edit - I can't help but wonder if all of this is part of the Marvel Office (perhaps at the urging of Disney) slowly walking their Spider Marriage stance back. Kind of them eventually restoring the status quo without admitting they made a mistake.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-17-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Slott's said on more than one occasion - including here - that Pete and MJ wasn't off the table.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Slott's said on more than one occasion - including here - that Pete and MJ wasn't off the table.
    We know that, but why didn't Spencer know it? He interacted with fans on twitter frequently during his Cap run, surely he could have read these forums.

BANNED

Go read what I said above. It was surprising to me because surely writers ought to be kept informed by their colleagues what is and is'nt off limits in the office at any given time.
    I did.

Here it is:

And again, it's not that surprising that Spencer didn't know.

There are many, many facets to Spider-Man and his world. Spencer made an assumption about one of those facets and was told that he assumed incorrectly when he asked.

On the opposite end, I expect Quesada and Lowe made the assumption that Spencer knew there was no rules separating Peter and MJ.

We know that, but why didn't Spencer know it? He interacted with fans on twitter frequently during his Cap run, surely he could have read these forums.
    He should've already known, yeah - this isn't the first spider book he's written.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I did.
    Not that one.

THIS one

Not to mention Quesada approved Renew Your Vows after it was pitched by Slott, and he looks the other way while the daily strip keeps the two married also.

Joe's fine with a married Peter and a Peter and MJ relationship, he just doesn't want the marriage near the main line.

That's why Joe telling Spencer it was for Peter to be with MJ surprised me...he's had a few years proving to the fans he's willing to let the pairing stand lately, all while Spencer's been working at the company. What kind of communication goes on there?

BANNED

Not that one.

THIS one
    Ah, I see.

Still, I don't think it's the craziest assumption on Spencer's part.

At any rate, we can certainly be glad he had that conversation with Quesada.