Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Well, the first issue showed signs of promise and I'm looking forward to issue 2. So hopefully it'll continue to be good, including whatever he ends up doing with MJ. As for the interview, it was a decent little interview. As I say I'm looking forward to the next issue at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Spencer, like many fans, assumed rules were in place to keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane apart. Quesada told him that was never Marvel’s intention when they decided to erase Spider-Man’s marriage to Mary Jane from continuity years ago, during the Spider-Man “One More Day” story.
    It just seems kind of hilarious to me that even people at Marvel might have been under the wrong assumption that Peter and Mary Jane couldn't get back together and had to be told by higher-ups that that wasn't the case. I mean, seriously ?

Although when you go to the trouble of erasing a character's marriage and trying to de-emphasize Mary Jane, it kind of looks like you don't want Peter and Mary Jane together.
    Suddenly, knowing Mary Jane could be a romantic part of the story made Spencer’s plans for the series “one thousand times better.”
    Man, when was the last time anyone felt like this?
    Marvel’s former top couple are front and center at the beginning and end of Spencer’s first “The Amazing Spider-Man” tale. The story opens with a flashback: Spider-Man (in his classic black-and-white suit) and Mary Jane are atop a skyscraper, both smiling, both in love, both happy. It’s a nod to one of Spencer’s favorite Spider-Man stories ever, a “The Sensational Spider-Man” annual written by Matt Fraction and illustrated by Salvador Larroca in 2006.
    Spencer has good taste .

During the issue, Spidey endures classic Pe

Although when you go to the trouble of erasing a character's marriage and trying to de-emphasize Mary Jane, it kind of looks like you don't want Peter and Mary Jane together.
    Dan Slott has always been very open that Marvel was basically saying, "they can be together, they can be in a relationship, just no marriage." You'd think if he was taking over, Dan would have at least mentioned it to him.

Although it does make sense that if you ditch the marriage, you'd want to move away from her for a while and do some of the stuff you couldn't while she was around.

So, we still need to outwait Quesada on the “no marriage” thing, apparently. Because we still need a storyline where Peter and MJ end up defeating Mephisto and restoring the marriage; and it still looks like that’s not going to happen while Quesada has anything to say about it. (And no, OMIT doesn’t count as defeating Mephisto.)
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    So, we still need to outwait Quesada on the “no marriage” thing, apparently. Because we still need a storyline where Peter and MJ end up defeating Mephisto and restoring the marriage; and it still looks like that’s not going to happen while Quesada has anything to say about it. (And no, OMIT doesn’t count as defeating Mephisto.)
    We don't even know how much of OMIT is still canon, as Mephisto did'nt live up to his side of the offer MJ whispered to him (leaving Peter alone) and suffered no negative consequences for it (unless you count losing his kingdom in Damnation as some karmic moment)

I'm not at all surprised spencer didn't know. I thought the same thing. Heck the past few years felt rather anti-MJ whenever the marriage was brought up IMO.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 07-18-2018 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Yeah. And personally, I don't buy Quesada's apparent backtracking for a single second. If OMD's only purpose was simply to erase the marriage, why go to all the trouble (and criminally poor writing) of OMIT to explain (badly) why Pete and MJ split up? Come to that, why split them up in the first place? Brand New Day could have kicked off with Pete and MJ still a couple, just no longer married.

As for the current status quo, aside from my cast iron belief that this remains yet another troll and obviously won't end well, to be honest seeing Pete and MJ together in the post OMD alternate reality is just weird. Cos now it's like they're together... but they're not properly together. Somehow it highlights the OMD effect even moreso, like this is some freaky dream sequence that Pete and MJ are having where they have no memory of their real lives together.

Turns out, this isn't just Spencer dangling Spidey editorial's favourite carrot at fans. But this time around, it's an imaginary carrot!
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 07-18-2018 at 02:51 AM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Man, when was the last time anyone felt like this?

Spencer has good taste .
    1. Exactly.
    2. It's been a long time since anyone felt this way at Marvel, least that's how it feels LOL.
    3. He seems to, I agree regarding MJ and Peter. Wait and see how he does first before I give a firm opinion on that though.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ffb0238d43b8

Spencer, like many fans, assumed rules were in place to keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane apart. Quesada told him that was never Marvel’s intention when they decided to erase Spider-Man’s marriage to Mary Jane from continuity years ago, during the Spider-Man “One More Day” story.
    So what actually happened? If there's no mandate what took them so long?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Slott wasn't interested.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm guessing Slott wasn't interested in Pete and MJ as a couple, at least not in ASM. He wrote them really well in the Renew Your Vows mini-series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I'm guessing Slott wasn't interested in Pete and MJ as a couple, at least not in ASM. He wrote them really well in the Renew Your Vows mini-series.
    Slott once said writing Peter and MJ's relationship wasn't fun if they couldn't be married, he described RYV MJ as the one without any limits

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Slott once said writing Peter and MJ's relationship wasn't fun if they couldn't be married, he described RYV MJ as the one without any limits
    Okay so they can date, they just can't be married.

Even now?

BANNED

Okay so they can date, they just can't be married.

Even now?
    They're allowed to be married...in other universes (RYV, Newspaper strip)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Yeah. And personally, I don't buy Quesada's apparent backtracking for a single second. If OMD's only purpose was simply to erase the marriage, why go to all the trouble (and criminally poor writing) of OMIT to explain (badly) why Pete and MJ split up? Come to that, why split them up in the first place? Brand New Day could have kicked off with Pete and MJ still a couple, just no longer married.

As for the current status quo, aside from my cast iron belief that this remains yet another troll and obviously won't end well, to be honest seeing Pete and MJ together in the post OMD alternate reality is just weird. Cos now it's like they're together... but they're not properly together. Somehow it highlights the OMD effect even moreso, like this is some freaky dream sequence that Pete and MJ are having where they have no memory of their real lives together.

Turns out, this isn't just Spencer dangling Spidey editorial's favourite carrot at fans. But this time around, it's an imaginary carrot!

shrugs

I am keeping an open mind, but I am having positive thoughts

I am not going to judge Spencer based on the past
    I am just focusing on the present
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.