Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

'Bye, Felicia'

Spencer says he's surprised no one had ever done that joke until now.

Umm.. that's a joke? Missed that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    'Bye, Felicia'

Has it's own Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bye,_Felicia

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    'Bye, Felicia'

It's a rather dated joke in all truth.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It's a rather dated joke in all truth.
    It worked in the issue, especially with Peter's regret that this might be the last thing he ever said.

It can be seen as having a duel meaning, given his later decision.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

A new interview here with Spencer talking about the relationship being rekindled and other things.

https://www.marvel.com/watch/digital...e-at-sdcc-2018

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Yeah. And personally, I don't buy Quesada's apparent backtracking for a single second. If OMD's only purpose was simply to erase the marriage, why go to all the trouble (and criminally poor writing) of OMIT to explain (badly) why Pete and MJ split up? Come to that, why split them up in the first place? Brand New Day could have kicked off with Pete and MJ still a couple, just no longer married.

As for the current status quo, aside from my cast iron belief that this remains yet another troll and obviously won't end well, to be honest seeing Pete and MJ together in the post OMD alternate reality is just weird. Cos now it's like they're together... but they're not properly together. Somehow it highlights the OMD effect even moreso, like this is some freaky dream sequence that Pete and MJ are having where they have no memory of their real lives together.

Turns out, this isn't just Spencer dangling Spidey editorial's favourite carrot at fans. But this time around, it's an imaginary carrot!
    Yeah, I wonder why this happened. Spencer left out a whole lot of story on how Peter and MJ got back together. And the "still not dealing with OMD" part still rankles. Otherwise, the whole point (such as there was) is lost. Peter and MJ are "happy" together, and Mephisto merely got a certificate of failure.

I do find it funny that Spencer believes that writing Peter and MJ together as a couple makes the book 1000 times better. Because you know what......it does.

Suddenly, knowing Mary Jane could be a romantic part of the story made Spencer’s plans for the series “one thousand times better.”

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    I do find it funny that Spencer believes that writing Peter and MJ together as a couple makes the book 1000 times better. Because you know what......it does.
    Not that I'm biased of course but I agree with you.

People only hear what they want to hear. Since Quesada orchestrated the termination of the marriage, other writers (and him) have said that one day they could work their way back to one another. They eliminated the marriage, but not the entire relationship. There have even been stories the last decade that teased the two of them coming together. After the trouble Marvel went through to make this huge change, it is only reasonable to expect them to explore Peter's new status quo which they've been doing for the past 10 years. But MJ has never disappeared completely from his life. Even after extended absences, she always come back. Slott could've written her out of the book for good, or made them hate each other, but she was always close by. Maybe now is the time for the relationship to progress, and maybe it will become very serious again. I just wouldn't expect them to end up married again anytime soon. One of the first issues I bought of ASM was #143, back in 1975. In that book Peter and MJ share their first romantic kiss as Peter is about to board a plane for Paris. They didn't get married until 12 years later, in 1987, and there were big gaps where Peter dated other girls. I'm just saying that it's probably not a good idea to expect Spencer is going to patch everything up and marry them again. Maybe it will be a step in that direction, but who knows? Keep in mind that young readers coming into the hobby will have only known Peter as a single guy, and may not care about the marriage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    People only hear what they want to hear. Since Quesada orchestrated the termination of the marriage, other writers (and him) have said that one day they could work their way back to one another. They eliminated the marriage, but not the entire relationship. There have even been stories the last decade that teased the two of them coming together. After the trouble Marvel went through to make this huge change, it is only reasonable to expect them to explore Peter's new status quo which they've been doing for the past 10 years. But MJ has never disappeared completely from his life. Even after extended absences, she always come back. Slott could've written her out of the book for good, or made them hate each other, but she was always close by. Maybe now is the time for the relationship to progress, and maybe it will become very serious again. I just wouldn't expect them to end up married again anytime soon. One of the first issues I bought of ASM was #143, back in 1975. In that book Peter and MJ share their first romantic kiss as Peter is about to board a plane for Paris. They didn't get married until 12 years later, in 1987, and there were big gaps where Peter dated other girls. I'm just saying that it's probably not a good idea to expect Spencer is going to patch everything up and marry them again. Maybe it will be a step in that direction, but who knows? Keep in mind that young readers coming into the hobby will have only known Peter as a single guy, and may not care about the marriage anyway.
    It's hard to say where people come from. I myself came into Spider-Man comics from the Raimi movies, so I came in with the perspective that the marriage was a no-brainer since that pairing was the only viable status quo for Spidey's love life (or, to say the same thing in not so many words, that the relationship between those specific characters is/was an inherent piece of the mythos, like Spidey's powerset, costume, etc.). Others got the exact opposite or maybe prefer Gwen because of the Mark Webb movies, or something. But, yeah, good point that not everyone holds the same stuff in high esteem (I've been reading some of the original ASM stuff and I still do not understand why Gwen Stacy was ever a good idea pre-death). Of course, a good or interesting premise can get people onboard with something they may not normally prefer...

As far as Marvel's stance on MJ and whatnot, it seems like we've frequently gotten statements to the effect of: "The marriage will never come back (for whatever reason given or not given), but the characters could still date again." If that's the case, what we're getting is within that idea, so I'm interested to see where this goes and if demand for the marriage being reinstated continues or such voices see this as "good enough." (IMHO, I like seeing the characters as a couple and am not too fussy what that looks like when there's a new take, but I kinda feel like once they tied the knot in 616, that specific iteration was no longer viable for any other status quo, if that makes any sense. IMHO, mileage may vary, and all that.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt Guy View Post
    Keep in mind that young readers coming into the hobby will have only known Peter as a single guy, and may not care about the marriage anyway.
    Those same readers have had about three years of exposure to the marriage through Renew Your Vows...and if any of them had ever stumbled on the ASM newspaper strip online (very easy to find) within the last ten years, they'd also find Peter and MJ were married there also, and have been for well over 30 years, longer than they've ever been married in 616.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Those same readers have had about three years of exposure to the marriage through Renew Your Vows...and if any of them had ever stumbled on the ASM newspaper strip online (very easy to find) within the last ten years, they'd also find Peter and MJ were married there also, and have been for well over 30 years, longer than they've ever been married in 616.
    Those same readers might not though have been exposed to those things. RYV as enjoyable as it is is not selling nearly as many copies or is being exposed to AS many as ASM. I dont think my LCS is alone in not ordering or pushing stuff like that nearly as much as mainstream “core” books like ASM. I also dont see that many of them wanting to read/knowing about the newspaper strip.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Those same readers might not though have been exposed to those things. RYV as enjoyable as it is is not selling nearly as many copies or is being exposed to AS many as ASM. I dont think my LCS is alone in not ordering or pushing stuff like that nearly as much as mainstream “core” books like ASM. I also dont see that many of them wanting to read/knowing about the newspaper strip.
    Dan Slott's promoted it a couple of times. Once during Superior, and when he gave the strip universe plot armour in Spider-Verse.

BANNED

Dan Slott's promoted it a couple of times. Once during Superior, and when he gave the strip universe plot armour in Spider-Verse.
    Both of those were a couple of years ago and very brief. I doubt it would have meant much to a lot of newer readers. Superior was what 3 relaunches back? And the Spider-verse tie-in was very short and not a main focus. They might have heard about it but I just dont see young readers being interested in seaking this stuff out, as enjoyable as it might be.

Are those mainstream enough, though? I mean, I don't think the newspaper strip is exactly a household name and the RYV series hasn't been given a lot of marketing and appears to be more targeted at lapsed/pre-existing fans with taste for the pre-2007 era than anything else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

I just finished reading #802.....

Is this some kind of joke?
    Is Peter gonna realise he's actually smooching Fish Bowl next issue, or did he actually say that stuff to MJ and they kissed?
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!