Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I knew the comics rebooting Shuri to be more like the MCU was inevitable but it's still kind of ridiculous to see them spinning a comic out of a version of a character that has never actually existed. I don't even want to imagine all the continuity and characterization headaches is going to cause.
    Like that fact the premise is that Shuri has to take responsibility because T'challa is lost in space..... but T'challa is currently on the Avengers??
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Like that fact the premise is that Shuri has to take responsibility because T'challa is lost in space..... but T'challa is currently on the Avengers??
    God bless Marvel editorial.

The fact they're acting like Shuri being in charge is a big deal is the most infuriating part. She literally led Wakanda since Hickman's Fantastic Four run until the Secret Wars. T'Challa would just say 'Going into space try not to kill Namor while I'm gone but if you do whatever.'

I might buy this. She's way more interesting than Black Panther.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

this is awesome news!!!

but why are people saying they are rebooting her?

Shuri is an African young woman of genius level intelligence who is obsessed with technology*and*has traveled spiritually so far into the past that she's seen Wakanda before it was Wakanda. The Ancestors call her Ancient Future. And she's*super*ambitious. What do I love about her? Alllll that and more," Okorafor tells Bustle via email. "She's a character in the Marvel Universe who really sings to me."

this aligns to coates story so am I missing something here lol?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Woops .
    Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    The fact they're acting like Shuri being in charge is a big deal is the most infuriating part. She literally led Wakanda since Hickman's Fantastic Four run until the Secret Wars. T'Challa would just say 'Going into space try not to kill Namor while I'm gone but if you do whatever.'
    Are they going to de-age her now too?
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    this is awesome news!!!

but why are people saying they are rebooting her?

Shuri is an African young woman of genius level intelligence who is obsessed with technology*and*has traveled spiritually so far into the past that she's seen Wakanda before it was Wakanda. The Ancestors call her Ancient Future. And she's*super*ambitious. What do I love about her? Alllll that and more," Okorafor tells Bustle via email. "She's a character in the Marvel Universe who really sings to me."

It sounds like we're getting some kind of MCU/comic mish-mash.

I hoke Okorafor is able to make sense of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post

She was in charge in 2009 during Deadliest of the species until she died in Hickman's Avengers run.

And her whole thing is that she ALWAYS wanted to be the Black Panther.

Shuri NOT stepping up and leading because of some personal shit is the absolutely opposite of the character.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yeah, you missed a pretty important paragraph

"Shuri is happiest in a lab, surrounded by gadgets of her own creation. She’d rather be testing gauntlets than throwing them. But a nation without a leader is a vulnerable one — and Shuri may have to choose between Wakanda’s welfare and her own

That isn't comic shuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Woops .

Are they going to de-age her now too?

It sounds like we're getting some kind of MCU/comic mish-mash.

I hoke Okorafor is able to make sense of it all.
    hmmm I hope however Okorafor tries to make it this work it doesnt conflict too much with what has already been told. my concern though for the book isnt the mashup though. I'm more concerned for the writing. I didnt enjoy the writing at all for the first issue of wakanda forever so I hope there is much more improvement in this solo.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yeah, you missed a pretty important paragraph

"Shuri is happiest in a lab, surrounded by gadgets of her own creation. She’d rather be testing gauntlets than throwing them. But a nation without a leader is a vulnerable one — and Shuri may have to choose between Wakanda’s welfare and her own

That isn't comic shuri.
    so nowhere in hudlin runs was she really into tech? I'm thinking I'm seeing frontier's point. it seems like a mishmash of the two versions not really a full blow retcon. I would prefer the movie version not make it's way into the books though but time will tell.

also I guess this does confirm tchalla is the one in space.

Ultimate Member

She was in charge in 2009 during Deadliest of the species until she died in Hickman's Avengers run.

And her whole thing is that she ALWAYS wanted to be the Black Panther.

Shuri NOT stepping up and leading because of some personal shit is the absolutely opposite of the character.
    Here is the things she was in charge during the the time someone named Miles Morales was NOT in Marvel 616.

Now he is-so what else could have changed between now and Secret Wars?

Yes she was dead but did they ever say how she died? Have they actual stated she was the Black Panther while big bro was out? In the stealth Midnight Angels/Storm book pretending to be Black Panther?

Yeah they pander to folks (the movie people) who don't even read the comics, nor have any interest in them. Wasted energy.
    Actually they do but they are not going to bother with a floppy.

Also if you want to place blame on them make sure you place blame on STORES. The same stores that wouldn't touch her first run with a 20 foot pole because how dare we show a black woman in charge.

Now you have this mismash version of the film one-that will suddenly get stocked in comic book stores and trades at Barnes & Nobles. As we saw with Nick Fury, GOTG, Thor, Falcon, Luke Cage, War Machine, Jessica Jones and Supergirl. And Carol Danvers.

so nowhere in hudlin runs was she really into tech? I'm thinking I'm seeing frontier's point. it seems like a mishmash of the two versions not really a full blow retcon. I would prefer the movie version not make it's way into the books though but time will tell.

also I guess this does confirm tchalla is the one in space.
    She is smart in the comics. Not T'challa smart, but smart. ph.D smart.

But no, she hasn't really been into tech. In fact, during her run as Black Panther... she had her own Q giving her tech and another Q giving her strategy stuff (bring back Flea!).

She has always been a warrior. She is more T'chaka, not T'challa.

And she has ALWAYS been about Wakanda. she woudln't hesitate to sacrifice her own welfare for Wakanda. Never. SHe would sacrifice everyone for Wakanda.

I love Shuri, I love Nnedi Okorafor, I love Leo Romero. So I will definitely be buying this comic. I think this will be Marvel's first ongoing written by a black woman. Black women have written one-shots and minis - Okorafor has written several comics for Marvel already - but this is the first time a black woman is writing something that is at least being presented as an ongoing. And it's about time. And Okorafor's a great choice to do it, she's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I love Shuri, I love Nnedi Okorafor, I love Leo Romero. So I will definitely be buying this comic. I think this will be Marvel's first ongoing written by a black woman. Black women have written one-shots and minis - Okorafor has written several comics for Marvel already - but this is the first time a black woman is writing something that is at least being presented as an ongoing. And it's about time. And Okorafor's a great choice to do it, she's really good.
    Black Panther: World of Wakanda by Roxanne Gay was announced as an ongoing until it wasn't

Black Panther and the Crew was co-written by Yona Harvey was announced as an ongoing until it wasn't

YEah it was expected like a year ago though

Why did they wait so long to syngerize?

Why did they let Coates make such a radical change to Shuri in the first place before knowing what movie Shuri woudl be like?
    They likely didn't know it. Steve McNiven said that there is no communication between Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics. The Bendis relaunch of Guardians of the Galaxy was planned by guessing how the movie was going to be. That's why he had to draw Mass Effect suits: everybody thought James Gunn had written a serious sci-fi flick.