Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    She is smart in the comics. Not T'challa smart, but smart. ph.D smart.

But no, she hasn't really been into tech. In fact, during her run as Black Panther... she had her own Q giving her tech and another Q giving her strategy stuff (bring back Flea!).

She has always been a warrior. She is more T'chaka, not T'challa.

And she has ALWAYS been about Wakanda. she woudln't hesitate to sacrifice her own welfare for Wakanda. Never. SHe would sacrifice everyone for Wakanda.
    gotcha. well yea that definitely see that as a retcon of sorts. I remember her sacrificing herself to allow tchalla to leave to the save the universe. she always came off as.more a fighter than a character into tech. I like the angle of coates. make her wise and knowledgeable of the old ways while tchalla is the super genius. oh well I guess in October we will find out how much shuri will change.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

This is great news.

She was in charge in 2009 during Deadliest of the species until she died in Hickman's Avengers run.

And her whole thing is that she ALWAYS wanted to be the Black Panther.

Shuri NOT stepping up and leading because of some personal **** is the absolutely opposite of the character.
    A lot of this does sound like a retcon for the sake of movie synergy, assuming this story is in canon. And admittedly I'm not entirely sure I buy what I'm hearing.

But to play devil's advocate, I suppose after getting the job of Black Panther she might not necessarily want it again. Some of what happened in Hickmans run could have curbed her enthusiasm for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    https://www.bustle.com/p/black-panth...o-soon-9782595

Love it. Awesome news, not really a fan of relying on the big names(also nadia and scott? :P) to promote her because she is a huge pull already but still, love it.
    This looks interesting. Although as others have mentioned I am curious about how much comic Shuri will be changed to match her MCU counterpart. Also, I'm glad that she no longer has all white hair.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Like that fact the premise is that Shuri has to take responsibility because T'challa is lost in space..... but T'challa is currently on the Avengers??
    Coates story says T'CHalla was gone for at least 2 years, so there's no way it would make sense that he would be gone that long.

He can be gone days... maybe weeks. But yeah... anything longer than that and it would conflict with Avengers.

It's still potentially workable if there's a time travel element which allows him to return for a relatively short period of time after he left. But yeah... the chronology of all of this is becoming confusing.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda by Roxanne Gay was announced as an ongoing until it wasn't

Black Panther and the Crew was co-written by Yona Harvey was announced as an ongoing until it wasn't
    From what I can recall, it was clear from the start that Gay was only writing one arc of WoW. She basically was writing a mini. Some people thought she would be continuing on after the arc, but I distinctly remember, even before the first issue came out, that it was stated she was only doing one arc. So I don't really count that. And Harvey was only a co-writer, and only for alternate issues, so I don't count that.

I knew this would happen. I don't have a problem with it though. the movie version makes the comic book version seem like an underachiever.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I hope this just means all of Coates "Season One" is a What If story.

My head cannon can adapt for that since Nation Under Our Feet and Avengers of the New World were god awful.
    It's been referenced in other books, so that doesn't seem likely.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

EDIT - it's not worth it
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 07-17-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Call me when the real Shuri gets an ongoing, not interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's been referenced in other books, so that doesn't seem likely.
    Outside of Coates other books... Ultimates and where else?

(mostly just curious lol. i dont' read as many books as I used too)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Scott is Ant-Man. deal with it.
    I think it's the pairing that's a bit odd :P

Honestly, I'm reading 80s Avengers and Scott being Ant-Man has been established way back then. I don't think Frontier had a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    so nowhere in hudlin runs was she really into tech? I'm thinking I'm seeing frontier's point. it seems like a mishmash of the two versions not really a full blow retcon. I would prefer the movie version not make it's way into the books though but time will tell.

also I guess this does confirm tchalla is the one in space.
    Shuri studied nuclear physics during the Hudlin run and she’s quite knowledgeable when it comes to tech. But she’s not a scientific genius at the level of T’Challa in the comics. Science has always been his forte, not hers.

Comics Shuri is mostly a warrior with some science aspects here and there. This new book basically adds MCU Shuri’s genius intellect to the fold.

Also...Comics Shuri having to decided between the welfare of Wakanda or herself? She always decided Wakanda and has done so many times. “Wakanda > Everything” might as well be her defining trait. She’s practically a Wakandan nationalist.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 07-17-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I knew this would happen. I don't have a problem with it though. the movie version makes the comic book version seem like an underachiever.
    Comics Shuri became the queen of Wakanda, warred with Atlantis, and led Wakanda against Thanos three times.

Yea, she’s not a scientific genius, being a BP in and of itself is no joke.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 07-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I think it's the pairing that's a bit odd :P

Honestly, I'm reading 80s Avengers and Scott being Ant-Man has been established way back then. I don't think Frontier had a problem with that.
    Yeah, I wasn't commenting on Scott as Ant-Man, I was talking about pairing Scott and Nadia together for movie synergy (like they're doing with Shuri here).