Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Why though?
    Because this book ain't lasting long.

This... kinda sucks. I love Shuri, both during her time as Black Panther itself and especially what Coats has been doing with her, but the character mentioned in the announcement is neither of them. We sure its set in 616? This... this sucks.
    Last edited by Valamist; 07-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

So happy I jumped of the BP train after that first arc. Listening/reading what's been done with all the different BP related series has had me smh ever since. I at least thought Shuri was interesting, but they smited that.

iMan 42s

A thing you have to keep in mind is that this is absolutely about Movie synergy. There was also no real other way to go about it because where has Shuri appeared outside of comics that isn't an alternate costume for Black Panther? It's either never addressed or she's Black Panther.

A thing you have to keep in mind about launching a title is that some books come in half-cocked. Your book could be about an incredible supporting character who has even filled in for the hero. But if it's the same character with a new coat of paint, who cares in the long run? People do look at things that way. If your book is on the rack and it can't pass things on the superficial level, it's as good as dead. And if your audience has to use supplementary sources to find out what it is, your already alienating your fanbase because it's not built for them. That's why movie synergy is as popular as it is because with the movies being as popular and known as they are, it's going to get somebody to find your book and know exactly whats up. Iron man's armors are familiar, Doctor Strange is easier to understand, people come in knowing who Star Lord is, and here people know who Shuri is right out of the gate.

It wont last unless this is popular. But even when it does get cancelled your re-launch is going to do well assuming Shuri has some continued presence in the films. It's opening up the floodgates and its better it does this now than out of the blue years later.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Comics Shuri became the queen of Wakanda, warred with Atlantis, and led Wakanda against Thanos three times.

Yea, she’s not a scientific genius, being a BP in and of itself is no joke.
    in the movie, she's the lynchpin of Wakanda's technological progress. all that stuff you listed for the comic book version required T'challa being taken off the table. plus, she just doesn't have the movie version's personality.

Mighty Member

I think Marvel is taking the long view on this. I also think there is very little risk in modifying her character to align more with the movie version, if that is the route they take.

Let's say Marvel took the traditional route, and launched the series with Shuri exactly as she is in the comics. Does anyone think that book lasts longer than 18 issues, with middling sales? And while it is true that few non A- list characters last longer than that, that fact doesn't make it any less true for Shuri. The reward is minimal. There are dozens of characters who could do similar sales numbers.

If they do modify the character, the potential for the character increases significantly imo. The millions of people who saw and loved Black Panther have another familiar entry point into the comics world. Her role and character can appeal to a different set of people than her historical characterization would. If their long term plan is to make her a bigger part of the comics, television and movie universes (and I can't see why it wouldn't be), this version of the character seems much more marketable than the current comics version.

I think this series is kind of a loss leader, a necessary step to get the character to an overall more sellable place in the big picture.
    They could maybe milk a few thousand copies a month out of a traditional take, for a year or maybe two. The end.
    Or they can take a likely small hit on monthly floppy sales, with the end goal and result being a character appeals to people beyond 30,000 or so people who would buy a traditional take, and can be sold in methods beyond the direct market.
    It would be a win coming and going. In the short term they flesh out a more valuable version of the character, which in the long term pays off in other non-comics media, which then in turn sends more people to the comics looking for that version of the character.
    ...that would be the plan anyway. Whether it works is another matter entirely. But it is totally worth it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Because this book ain't lasting long.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Also not seeing how it's a reason to not give her a solo book.

I'll give it a shot because of the creative team, but the change to her character leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Outside of Coates other books... Ultimates and where else?

(mostly just curious lol. i dont' read as many books as I used too)
    Ultimates comes to mind. The Black Panther Annual isn't technically another book but wasn't written by Coates. The McGregor and Hudlin stories were explicitly outside continuity, but the Priest story was in-continuity and referenced it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Comics Shuri became the queen of Wakanda, warred with Atlantis, and led Wakanda against Thanos three times.

Yea, she’s not a scientific genius, being a BP in and of itself is no joke.
    Also, while it's weird and I don't know if I want it to stick or not, the Griot thing she has going on now is interesting, at least. It's something different and visually interesting.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

in general, I have not liked how Marvel has executed their synergy. they never seem to capture what makes the movie characters work. if they can't make it work organically, they might as well just make it an alternate reality character (like they did with Valkyrie).
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 07-17-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Comics Coulson is a decent character. What makes him interesting is he's the ultimate fanboy. That being said, with other characters like Gwenpool, he doesn't fit as well.

Honestly, with the exception of Nick Fury Jr., I don't think people really have strong feelings one way or the other. Did anyone have a problem with Selvig when he appeared?

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Why though?
    They don't want another black lead. Let alone a black women lead. They can't hide their bias it has to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Comics Coulson is a decent character. What makes him interesting is he's the ultimate fanboy. That being said, with other characters like Gwenpool, he doesn't fit as well.

Honestly, with the exception of Nick Fury Jr., I don't think people really have strong feelings one way or the other. Did anyone have a problem with Selvig when he appeared?
    so the counter argument is that the characters that they've introduced are forgettable?

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    in general, I have not liked how Marvel has executed their synergy. they never seem to capture what makes the movie characters work. if they can't make it work organically, they might as well just make it an alternate reality character (like they did with Valkyrie).
    I agree, I think that approach worked out well in that instance, especially since we'll get to have both Valkyries making regular appearances in comics. But I'm not sure that would work for every character, to be honest. (Although an AU "Shuri" who acted like the movie one might have fit right in with the premise of the current arc of the Black Panther ongoing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post

See, Coulson in the comics just didn't work for me at all. I think it's hard to make Coulson work outside of his very specific arc in the movies, the faceless bureaucrat who's been around for everything and gets just a hint of characterization at the last moment to make his death more emotionally affecting. They shifted him between a bunch of roles (G-Man, field agent, superhero liaison, strike team leader) and I would actually say that the superhero liaison one was the least convincing — it implied a kind of long-term relationship with the hero community that we just hadn't seen built up in the comics. It was sort of (pardon my French) Mary Sue-ish.
    Conversely, Nick Fury Jr. makes a lot more sense to me. They mostly used him as a field agent who kept himself and advanced in the ranks quickly because of his pedigree, occasionally leading some of his own operations.

I wouldn't say forgettable so much as benign.