Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I was not a huge fan of her mystical turn under Coates, but at least, she was till Shuri.
    What is advertised here is Shuri being ereased and replaced by "Genius Teen Black Girl #767".

Sorry, but the only synergy I'd accept would be Tony, Steve, Thor, Brcue, Nat and Clint removed from the comics once they stop appearing in the movies.
    It's not about what you'll accept. No one at Marvel cares. It's about if it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post

The reason why that worked in the movies is because she was the smart one/inventor and T'Challa was the fighter/upcoming leader.

When you replace comic Shuri with movie Shuri but don't change any attributes of comic T'Challa you just end up with two T'Challas. Which is a huge disservice to Shuri because now you've reduced her into a derivative character instead of someone who had her own unique role in the cast.
    People keep on trying to say this and no not really Shuri would end as "Super Scientist" and T'challa would end up as genius jack of all trades that is best way to explain it.They would be clear differences and yes Black Panther would have to give up something with someone around smarter in areas which apparently terrifies the hardcore fans.

I fully get people point on changing things but I have seen how non comic book fans respond to Shuri in the movies and I am sure you guys understand as well. The character was special to the masses and trying to capture that in the comics is worth the effort because long term if even the book doesn't work this version of Shuri is better in other forms of media.

Last point yeah Shuri being the smart one is more unique because comics is dominated by just smart guys. I remember a topic on what woman could join the Illuminati and they are legitimately no women that fit the profile. Now between Riri Williams, Shuri and Moon Girl they are 3 women if cultivated properly can be that answer. And it is dope that they are all black.

I know it is a little condescending to say the movie version is better character but movie character has the potential to be seen in same light as Tony Stark and Reed Richards in the comics which current comic version doesn't have not mention with Iron man RDJ possibly being gone from MCU the biggest brain and tech answer to all the Avengers tech issues will be her making her big time player moving forward. I think you guys are looking at small picture, ask yourself what is going to definitive version of characters to future fans or creators

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    She's certainly still on the cold blooded side (or at least she can offer up a good bluff)… but that still doesn't mean her perspective of wanting to be black Panther or wanting to rule might not theoretically have changed.

It could be a case of being careful of what you ask for.
    Yes, that's my point. She doesn't have to be a completely different character to change her stance on some specific issues. If done right, it can actually be a good character development for her, because while I love a good ol' stone cold bitch type of character, it is important to also show vulnerability to make them more human. Unless they're trying to portray her as a sociopath or something, Shuri CAN'T be on stone cold bitch mode all the time, right? So there is value in showing that there's more to her than just that. That's how you write a multifaceted, three-dimensional character. The writer just has to find a balance between previous characterizations and anything new she wants to add. The only thing that would really be unacceptable to me would be the character just waking up one day as a completely different person for no reason at all. And since the writer has worked with Coates before during his run on BP and acknowledges his work, I'm hopeful enough that Shuri will at least carry some of Coates' characterization with her on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    This sure is generating a lot of publicity. The BBC don't usually do comics news, but they reported on this!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44872308
    Not surprised. I don't think the Black Panther franchise has ever gotten the kind of coverage it has been getting this year. The movie really changed things for this IP and what it means to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    What is advertised here is Shuri being ereased and replaced by "Genius Teen Black Girl #767".
    I get what you're trying to say, but let's not act like Genius Teen Black Girl is somehow recurring enough to be considered an actual trope in the Marvel Universe. They have literally three characters to fit that bill in the comics right now, and all of them are efforts that only happened within the last three years. I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm not too bothered with Shuri getting into tech; it is actually the kind of thing we could see more of. I just hope it doesn't define her in the same way it did in the movie and it's more of a bonus addition to the character we already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I get what you're trying to say, but let's not act like Genius Teen Black Girl is somehow recurring enough to be considered an actual trope in the Marvel Universe. They have literally three characters to fit that bill in the comics right now, and all of them are efforts that only happened within the last three years. I guess that's one of the reasons why I'm not too bothered with Shuri getting into tech; it is actually the kind of thing we could see more of. I just hope it doesn't define her in the same way it did in the movie and it's more of a bonus addition to the character we already know.
    I'd actually argue that "Stone Cold Black Woman Warrior" is more recurring than "Genius Black Girl" though both are still sparse so it's pointless pretending either tropes are overused.

If I were Okafor, I'd try merging Traditional Shuri with Movie Shuri. People are multi-faceted so she doesn't have to be just one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd actually argue that "Stone Cold Black Woman Warrior" is more recurring than "Genius Black Girl" though both are still sparse so it's pointless pretending either tropes are overused.

If I were Okafor, I'd try merging Traditional Shuri with Movie Shuri. People are multi-faceted so she doesn't have to be just one or the other.
    That seems to be exactly what's happening.

Astonishing Member

I guess depending on the success of the MCU Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, and X-Men, there's going to be more character retcons. Surprised Peter Parker hasn't been de-aged yet. Synergy at its' worst.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I guess depending on the success of the MCU Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, and X-Men, there's going to be more character retcons. Surprised Peter Parker hasn't been de-aged yet. Synergy at its' worst.
    Well, we did have organic web shooters when the Raimi movies were coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People keep on trying to say this and no not really Shuri would end as "Super Scientist" and T'challa would end up as genius jack of all trades that is best way to explain it.They would be clear differences and yes Black Panther would have to give up something with someone around smarter in areas which apparently terrifies the hardcore fans.

I fully get people point on changing things but I have seen how non comic book fans respond to Shuri in the movies and I am sure you guys understand as well. The character was special to the masses and trying to capture that in the comics is worth the effort because long term if even the book doesn't work this version of Shuri is better in other forms of media.

Last point yeah Shuri being the smart one is more unique because comics is dominated by just smart guys. I remember a topic on what woman could join the Illuminati and they are legitimately no women that fit the profile. Now between Riri Williams, Shuri and Moon Girl they are 3 women if cultivated properly can be that answer. And it is dope that they are all black.

I know it is a little condescending to say the movie version is better character but movie character has the potential to be seen in same light as Tony Stark and Reed Richards in the comics which current comic version doesn't have not mention with Iron man RDJ possibly being gone from MCU the biggest brain and tech answer to all the Avengers tech issues will be her making her big time player moving forward. I think you guys are looking at small picture, ask yourself what is going to definitive version of characters to future fans or creators
    The resdl the people don't like the idea is because other heroes don't have yo give up attributes to their supporting cast so why should T'Challa?

The movies made sense to give Shuri a role in her own, and while the movie did a nod with Tchalla creating his CW habit to showcase he is smart and the banter between the two, I am still under the mindset that in the next movie, there should be a Dark knight rises moment in which Tchalla showcases a genius feat that showcases he is just as smart. Or hell even something as simple as him giving Shuri schematics for an update to his habit while he says something to the effect of "I came up with an update" referencing her line to him about the EMP bead's