Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I was disappointed at first this wasn't a new series but a mini but then Kelly confirmed it's a series but will be split after each story lines so it's a ongoing.

So I can still support it if I get it through comixology or the Digital Store and that will matter as much as preordering a actual copy?

In the words of Wakko, "The mind boogles."

But yes, I will get it as soon as I get paid this week.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson View Post
    Um. How is $5 really steep for 40 pages of content...you guys usually pay $8 for 40 pages of content.

I am...so confused.
    Well that's a bit better. Page count wasn't mentioned in Seren's post.

Spectacular Member Kelly Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Well that's a bit better. Page count wasn't mentioned in Seren's post.
    Yeah, sorry. My post was referring to the comment "I mean, it is 44 pages, but that's still really steep..." which is a comment that knows how many pages you're getting (although it's 40 not 44).

I neglected to "reply with quote" - my fault. Sorry for the confusion. It's been a busy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Kelly’s Thompson IS on the book! Art is by Mattia De Iulis. Issueone was just released today (digital only) if you have the Marvel Comics app. It’s $4.99.

Congrats Kelly, can’t wait to see where you take Jessica!
    Huh, weird. Kind of snuck under the radar there, especially if it's now apparently a digital only book.

Kind of wondering where Marvel is going with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Uh, Sandy, the TV show kept the failed superhero stuff, Trish found the Jewel costume, remember?

Cover:
    The cover reminds me of one of the covers to Ms. Thompson's Nancy Drew series .

The "Parental Advisory" disclaimer is still on there so I'll be curious to see how that's applied compared to Bendis' run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, weird. Kind of snuck under the radar there, especially if it's now apparently a digital only book.

The "Parental Advisory" disclaimer is still on there so I'll be curious to see how that's applied compared to Bendis' run.
    It is weird how below the radar this book is. Yet you can argue it's one of the most talked about books in this board at least.

Maybe they are resting out a new model for online only books or something.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It is weird how below the radar this book is. Yet you can argue it's one of the most talked about books in this board at least.

Maybe they are resting out a new model for online only books or something.
    Well, this is the second book they seem to be trying (Cloak and Dagger being the first) that I'm aware of. I think the idea of digital first is great. I don't think that this announcement was good at all - factually incorrect and confusing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I thought the first issue was pretty good.

Thompson does a good job continuing where Bendis left off while putting her own spin on the character.

Jessica is still a cynical well connected P.I in Marvel universe solving mysteries.

I really enjoyed it, Thompson made Jessica really likable.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 07-18-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Jessica still uses dirty words that are not really allowed on these boards.

Incredibly good in serious mystery and a dark comedy in the right measure.

Not to mention that reading Jessica without Bendis-speak or a bunch of text balloons that do not contribute anything to the narrative helps a lot.

Rank 9 of 10.

Incredible Member

Really good read!

I did like how in the six years ago flash back there’s a picture of their daughter looking toddler age even though she’s a toddler now show isn’t he first few pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Incredibly good in serious mystery and a dark comedy in the right measure.

Not to mention that reading Jessica without Bendis-speak or a bunch of text balloons that do not contribute anything to the narrative helps a lot.

Rank 9 of 10.
    quoted for truth. looking forward to Thompson's run
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I like the way Martin Simmonds drew Jessica Jones on the cover here. I'll miss David Mack, though. I would have loved to have him to transition, but maybe the start of the new era is a good thing.

Mattia De Iulis's art is very pretty to look at. His Jessica is a bit closer to Marquez than Gaydos, though. I think Kelly Thompson nails the tone of the character, though. She's definitely mirroring Bendis with a god damn 18 panel two page spread, though. It evenly confusing goes all the way across the page like Bendis did it. I like the stylistic choice of having little black and white photograph boxes when Jessica notices something.

The story is really captivating so far. Some of it is a throwback to old Alias days or the Netflix show, but it's still just lots of fun with twists and turns. The only possible complaint I have is there are two shocking cliffhangers that don't hang. I mean, the first one ends Chapter One, but you immediately get Chapter Two. The second with an apparent death doesn't end the issue either. Minor complaint overall.

On the side of continuity (I'll comment in the Daredevil thread about Matt Murdock), it specifically references the FCBD Defenders issue with the explosion. Misty Knight's new job popped up in some other comic, but I can't recall where. Overall, the continuity feels pretty tight, which is a welcome change of pace.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Art ain't shabby, and Kelly Thompson did a fairly good job here. Price isn't bad for a comic the size of two either.

Loved this. Really good. Really funny, too, as usual for Thompson, an De Iulis nails the comedic beats. De Iulis does great work in general here, actually. And I like Kate Bishop's PI-vision being imported over. Nice touch.