Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you guys feel about Myndi Mayer?

I thought she was an interesting character. I mean even in the rebirth Diana needing a PR

Essential Wonder Woman supporting cast, now more than ever.

I liked her.

Boisterously Confused

She makes an interesting contrast with Wonder Woman, since she's generally been characterized as a woman achieving power in a very different way.

She was great. Our sassy introduction to her was followed by her pretending to be a no nonsense plain jane to get the WW contract, then she went back to full on Myndi, then we found out she was an insecure alcoholic coke head after she had been "murdered". She went through a lifetime of character development in few short issues and the book was all the better for it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    She makes an interesting contrast with Wonder Woman, since she's generally been characterized as a woman achieving power in a very different way.
    Agreed. I think Myndi Mayer and Veronica Cale are dark mirrors of women achieving power in different ways. But Myndi was happily if somewhat mercenary in her interaction, appreciation and admiration for Diana. Whereas Veronica had a more twisted and cynical view. I would enjoy having these two characters present in current WW mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    She was great. Our sassy introduction to her was followed by her pretending to be a no nonsense plain jane to get the WW contract, then she went back to full on Myndi, then we found out she was an insecure alcoholic coke head after she had been "murdered". She went through a lifetime of character development in few short issues and the book was all the better for it.
    For me, her story arc was a bit yes and no. It was solid and gritty and with depth. However, it was also a bit of a shame that a powerful successful woman couldn't handle or have it all and had to die like that. I always felt it was a poor decision to do away with such a good character. But, different times and different needs.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

She stands out. Her introduction issue was great. I didn't read until the end and was sad when I found out she was murdered so soon.
    I don't remember if she had hidden depths or sympathetic side in the short issues I read her, up until Challenge of The Gods end, or if it's just my wishful thinking because I like her as a character, but that was my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Agreed. I think Myndi Mayer and Veronica Cale are dark mirrors of women achieving power in different ways. But Myndi was happily if somewhat mercenary in her interaction, appreciation and admiration for Diana. Whereas Veronica had a more twisted and cynical view. I would enjoy having these two characters present in current WW mythos.
    Pretty much this. It would be good to have Myndi on Diana's side again, to show Wonder Woman can be friends with this type of woman, too. Remember Godwatch's end? "You understand we will never be friends", said Cale, and Diana replied: "I understand we could've been". This is powerful stuff and Myndi would be a proof of that.

LOVE HER. Such a great supporting character. If/when Diana gets a city of her own again, Mayer PR needs to make a comeback. (And don't forget her brother Kevin.) She'd add so much to the vibe of the city and, in a way, ground Diana.

I have a story in me about Eris visiting her and wanting to change her image amongst mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    She stands out. Her introduction issue was great. I didn't read until the end and was sad when I found out she was murdered so soon.
    I don't remember if she had hidden depths or sympathetic side in the short issues I read her, up until Challenge of The Gods end, or if it's just my wishful thinking because I like her as a character, but that was my impression.
    Myndi had a sympathetic side. She was very nice to Vanessa, gifting her WW merchandise and inquiring about her boyfriend. She also had a gay brother she championed and lent her support to. She convinced him to be himself and come out of the closet and then called her lawyers when he was subsequently fired from his job. She had a complicated relationship with her father, he threw her out of the house as a teenager. That lit the spark that drove her to be successful. In a bid to regain his love, she eventually used her money to care for him, but by this point his Alzheimers was so bad he didn't even recognize her. Myndi's disapproving housewife sister got all the credit. This lead her to drink more and cocaine entered the picture once she met Skeeter Boyd. Dating him was her downfall. He got her hooked on drugs and was in the process of destroying her business by supplying cocaine to some of her clients, other clients found out and got new publicists, there were several lawsuits filed against the Mayer Agency. In her will she bequeathed a large sum to the Wonder Woman Foundation to further Diana's work and wanted her ashes spread around Paradise Island. I just re-read Wonder Woman #20 "Who killed Myndi Mayer?" and it's epilogue in Wonder Woman Annual #1, it truly is a great story. I had forgotten all the red herrings and twists and turns and much of the backstory. I highly recommend them, Perez is a genius!

Would you guys ever want to see who killed Myndi into an animated movie ? Would you want her to be alive instead of died if they did being her back?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    For me, her story arc was a bit yes and no. It was solid and gritty and with depth. However, it was also a bit of a shame that a powerful successful woman couldn't handle or have it all and had to die like that. I always felt it was a poor decision to do away with such a good character. But, different times and different needs.
    I thought it a brilliant arc, and don't see it as a waste of a great character if their demise makes a powerful story.

I remember being shocked by her seduction and unraveling because she did enter the picture as such a powerful figure. It seems to me that Perez's purpose was to force Wonder Woman (still something of A Stranger In A Strange Land at this point) to come to grips with the idea that the flaws that drive people to excel often drive them to their doom (a very Greek Tragedy story, and Perez was playing the Greek Heritage riffs hard at the time). It also drove home the idea that Perez's Wonder Woman was set in a world where life is uncertain, and consequences are meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Would you guys ever want to see who killed Myndi into an animated movie ? Would you want her to be alive instead of died if they did being her back?
    That one's a bit dark for most of DC's animated work. Even if it weren't it would probably work better in a series than a single film (animated or otherwise). IMO, to do it properly, you need time for Myndi to establish her presence, and then watch her descent without it being in the center of story until after her death. If DC was doing something life Marvel's Netflix series, I'd say yeah, work that into the story. Otherwise, probably not.

Interesting question tho: Does Myndi's story fit the definition of "Fridging"?
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.

True it would have to first be when Diana comes here makes the Kapatelis. Then the sequel will be about Myndi

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    True it would have to first be when Diana comes here makes the Kapatelis. Then the sequel will be about Myndi
    I'd say if you did a 13-episode series, introduce Myndi in ep3 or 4, and have investigating her murder the focus of ep 10 or so.

Myndi had a sympathetic side. She was very nice to Vanessa, gifting her WW merchandise and inquiring about her boyfriend. She also had a gay brother she championed and lent her support to. She convinced him to be himself and come out of the closet and then called her lawyers when he was subsequently fired from his job. She had a complicated relationship with her father, he threw her out of the house as a teenager. That lit the spark that drove her to be successful. In a bid to regain his love, she eventually used her money to care for him, but by this point his Alzheimers was so bad he didn't even recognize her. Myndi's disapproving housewife sister got all the credit. This lead her to drink more and cocaine entered the picture once she met Skeeter Boyd. Dating him was her downfall. He got her hooked on drugs and was in the process of destroying her business by supplying cocaine to some of her clients, other clients found out and got new publicists, there were several lawsuits filed against the Mayer Agency. In her will she bequeathed a large sum to the Wonder Woman Foundation to further Diana's work and wanted her ashes spread around Paradise Island. I just re-read Wonder Woman #20 "Who killed Myndi Mayer?" and it's epilogue in Wonder Woman Annual #1, it truly is a great story. I had forgotten all the red herrings and twists and turns and much of the backstory. I highly recommend them, Perez is a genius!
    This. Granted I'd like to see Myndi back as an ongoing character without the tragic ending, because she had such an interesting POV and complicated relationships with some people. We need more characters like this back as supporting characters with occasional storylines weaving in and out of Wonder Woman.