Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I don't know. Assuming we are going to have another survivor (and not a large number), it makes more sense to me to connect the survivors than not. I'm not talking the Silver Age origin where we have the rockets years apart, but the current one where both rockets leave when Krypton dies. Does it make more sense that Jor-El and one random Kryptonian are the only ones prepared or that two people with some connection manage to do so?
    To be honest, I'd greatly prefer a second rocket wasn't built. That one was found or a more creative method was found for Supergirl to leave Krypton. Regardless, I'd prefer she not be related to kal-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    And the cousin angle eliminates all the uncomfortable ideas of them being responsible for continuing the Kryptonian race.
    Heh, this is certainly true. She could become part of the eternal question, though, of who should Superman end up with?

Astonishing Member

Here is the problem with Kandor, I never heard anyone talk about any meaningful characters from Kandor, how many residents of Kandor have anything close to a developed personality?

I think Zod and Kara have some pretty developed personalities, but Kandor seems to be populated by flat, interchangeable characters, none of whom make for actual interesting supporting cast members for Superman.

I think having a whole city of Kryptonians does make Superman feel a little less special, but not making any of them stand out in anyway really makes question what is the point of these characters?

I don't think he should be the last. Supergirl is awesome and Power Girl is from another Universe so that's ok. Clones and daxamites are fine and such, they aren't from Krypton. I think having a Kryptonian enemy like Zod is ok too, but don't go overboard; sometimes there are too many of them coming out of the Phantom Zone.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    I agree that in the main Earth Superman should the the only and last Kryptonian alive. NO Kara no Kon and no clones. Leave all that for Earth 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I would love a DCU where no single alpha hero (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, etc) came with any direct derivatives (Supergirl, Robin, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Aqualad, etc).

Maybe that could work as an alternate Earth.
    This is more-or-less how I feel about it. Enough copies.

Not always, but I tend to like it better when Superman is the last guy, minus whatever few guys escape from the Phantom Zone. Apologies to Kara and Kandor.

Astonishing Member

Supergirl, Zod and the City of Kandor are like the three most enduring, most powerful, coolest pieces of Superman lore in existence after his origins and day job/co-workers.

What even compares? Luthor ... Brainiac ... Bizarro? Nah, other Krypton stuff is so massively important to Superman.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I just think the fact that they tried it, and not too long in decided to resort to copies to keep their decree without really keeping, and then just said screw it and replaced those copies with the genuine articles, shows in actual practice how much the idea works. Or doesn't work, in this case.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I think that can be the vibe "at first", but then you introduce the Phantom Zone, then Krypto and Kara and finally Kandor.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Supergirl, Zod and the City of Kandor are like the three most enduring, most powerful, coolest pieces of Superman lore in existence after his origins and day job/co-workers.

What even compares? Luthor ... Brainiac ... Bizarro? Nah, other Krypton stuff is so massively important to Superman.
    Well, Luthor eclipses any other Kryptonian and most of the supporting cast so there's that.

Interesting. There seems to be a slight shift among the fans, at least here on CBR, that all of the extra Kryptonians, doesn't diminish Superman. The shift doesn't appear to be catastrophically bigger tho', more like 60% vs 40%.

I find it rather intriguing that it also appears to be rather black and white, on and off - the group that wants to see SOME Kryptonian extras, but only a few, and nothing more, seems to be the smallest group.

I think me personally, I'm with that group. Kryptonian additions can be quite amplifying of Superman, but it needs to be done VERY carefully - going overboard is easy, and imho, the limit is ahead of what most people think.

Extraordinary Member

How many lousy Zod knockoffs did we have to suffer through in the 80's and 90's because of the "No Other Kyrptonians but Kal El" policy?

It was a mistake then and it would be a mistake now.

I don't think he should be the last Kryptonian. I think Supergirl and the Phantom Zone criminals are important to the character. Also, I like having Kandor, but I don't like people being able to get into or get free from Kandor (though that's always made me wonder how they can survive). A limit like that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    How many lousy Zod knockoffs did we have to suffer through in the 80's and 90's because of the "No Other Kyrptonians but Kal El" policy?
    One. He was in three issues.

I'm generally in the "as little amount of other Kryptonians as possible" camp, but I'd be open to Kandor getting permanently unshrunk, and the city being placed on some uninhabited planet, and being basically Superman's second central hub aside from Metropolis.

It could be to him what Asgard is to Thor. A place where he goes from time to time to be with his own kind. Plus, think of the possibilities...

Better than Kandor just pointlessly sitting in Superman's Fortress.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No, he shouldn't. As the post-Crisis reboot showed, its not worth losing the elements of the mythos that must be erased in order to keep to this steadfast decree. the post-Crisis Superman mythos wasn't better without Kara. It wasn't better without Krypto. It wasn't better without the Phantom Zone criminals, and it wasn't better without Kandor.
    I believe he was better, and while post crisis Superman had issues, they had nothing to do with the lack of other Kryptonians.

Adding others of his race to the mythos deprives the character of the best stories that can be told about him.