Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Seeing this movie now ...How did this get good reviews? This is pretty bad...to the cheap sets..the acting.to the constant music playing in the background..the narration ..maybe I'm just not a fan of this iteration of Harley Quinn.
    Robbie's Harley is pretty annoying, beyond being sexy (which was largely downplayed in this movie, anyhow) her take on the character is pretty grating, just her voice/accent is annoying enough. I enjoyed the movie anyhow, though. Still think they should've cut a few bits out and gone for a PG-13 rating but clearly they were thinking this would be their Deadpool, which it was not. Doesn't matter much now , i guess.

Seeing this movie now ...How did this get good reviews? This is pretty bad...to the cheap sets..the acting.to the constant music playing in the background..the narration ..maybe I'm just not a fan of this iteration of Harley Quinn.
    The rest is personal opinion but I don't really get cheap sets do they look like billion dollar sets? No but they don't look later TV show sets or anything like that I wouldn't say chap looking at all.

Ultimate Member

I think a lot was projected onto it. I remember a few debates, of which I myself was involved, which heralded the movie as a feminist movie.

Ignoring that Harley displaced several minority characters, among other issues.

It got good reviews because some of us in the audience liked it. I really enjoyed it and my mom enjoyed it too. And I don't get how you think the sets were cheap. And I thought the music fit the movie. I think the last thing you said really hit the nail on the head - you don't like this iteration of Harley Quinn and/or the Birds of Prey. And if you don't like the main character and/or the supporting characters, then you can never like this movie.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think a lot was projected onto it. I remember a few debates, of which I myself was involved, which heralded the movie as a feminist movie.

Displaced them how?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Displaced them how?
    They were pretty much her sidekicks (Huntress, Cass) or punch line (Renee)

So the complaint is that Harley was the main character in a Harley Quinn movie? hmmm

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    So the complaint is that Harley was the main character in a Harley Quinn movie? hmmm
    It could have been more of a team movie (not even the Avengers or X-Men are created equal, though) and my reason for watching were the Birds and Black Mask. The villains were fun. Planning to rewatch it soon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    My complaint is that the minority characters were used to prop up the Whitest Girl ever, who's super power is poor choice in men. And BoP were also in the title, just sayin'.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

My complaint is that the minority characters were used to prop up the Whitest Girl ever, who's super power is poor choice in men. And BoP were also in the title, just sayin'.
    The director being a woman and from a minority is awesome, though.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It got good reviews because some of us in the audience liked it. I really enjoyed it and my mom enjoyed it too. And I don't get how you think the sets were cheap. And I thought the music fit the movie. I think the last thing you said really hit the nail on the head - you don't like this iteration of Harley Quinn and/or the Birds of Prey. And if you don't like the main character and/or the supporting characters, then you can never like this movie.
    Actually no, though I am not a fan of the "deadpool" version of Harley...the terrible script, acting, and direction made it a bad film; it had so many of the same directional flaws of Suicide Squad. I can ignore this version if it actually was a good movie...because I am a fan of the birds of prey group. I would say the majority of movies(or anime) that have a faint soundtrack playing in the background constantly in every scene aren't solid enough to stand on dialogue/script/acting etc so it becomes like a bad photoshop filter which makes the movie a fast food film fest and thats a turn off to me.
    Last edited by obatalla; 08-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Actually no, though I am not a fan of the "deadpool" version of Harley...the terrible script, acting, and direction made it a bad film; it had so many of the same directional flaws of Suicide Squad. I can ignore this version if it actually was a good movie...because I am a fan of the birds of prey group. I would say the majority of movies(or anime) that have a faint soundtrack playing in the background constantly in every scene aren't solid enough to stand on dialogue/script/acting etc so it becomes like a bad photoshop filter which makes the movie a fast food film fest and thats a turn off to me.
    I liked the script, the acting, and the direction. Maybe we like different things, maybe you hated how different the Birds were from the comics you love to see past it, but I don't think it's so bad that it's impossible to see why some of us like it. It's just a stupid fun action film. Is it great? Hell no. But is it fun and likeable? For me and others, hell yeah. And that's okay. You don't have to prove that it's a bad film that should never have been made or whatever. You can just not like it, but I think I successfully answered the question on why it has good reviews. Some of us just want dumb fun with good fights.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It could have been more of a team movie (not even the Avengers or X-Men are created equal, though) and my reason for watching were the Birds and Black Mask. The villains were fun. Planning to rewatch it soon.
    Therein lay the problem that DC failed to overcome.

"Birds of Prey" was the main title with a subtitle (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) when it wasn't a Birds of Prey movie. In fact, the only time that name is mentioned is in the last minute of the movie where Harley explains that Canary, Huntress and Renee went on to form the Birds of Prey and there's a brief, 10 second shot of them in costume.

Realizing their error (too late), DC renamed the movie while it was still in theaters to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

The initial title gives the impression that it's a team movie with Harley's story as the plotline. I had expected a team movie, assuming that they were using Harley to sell it since she was so popular in Suicide Squad.

I was disappointed, especially in how little Huntress time we got, let alone 'team time,' and Rosie Perez was very miscast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Therein lay the problem that DC failed to overcome.

"Birds of Prey" was the main title with a subtitle (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) when it wasn't a Birds of Prey movie. In fact, the only time that name is mentioned is in the last minute of the movie where Harley explains that Canary, Huntress and Renee went on to form the Birds of Prey and there's a brief, 10 second shot of them in costume.

Realizing their error (too late), DC renamed the movie while it was still in theaters to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

The initial title gives the impression that it's a team movie with Harley's story as the plotline. I had expected a team movie, assuming that they were using Harley to sell it since she was so popular in Suicide Squad.

I was disappointed, especially in how little Huntress time we got, let alone 'team time,' and Rosie Perez was very miscast.
    Rosie and the girl who played 'Cassandra', who wasn't even really Cassandra Cain. That STILL pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Rosie and the girl who played 'Cassandra', who wasn't even really Cassandra Cain. That STILL pisses me off.
    I still do not understand for the life of me why they used the name 'Cassandra Cain.' She was nothing like her in origin, connections, personality or physicality. They could have given that character any name.