Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I still do not understand for the life of me why they used the name 'Cassandra Cain.' She was nothing like her in origin, connections, personality or physicality. They could have given that character any name.
    Because Cass is more popular than any kid sidekick who might have easily fit in the same role.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Because Cass is more popular than any kid sidekick who might have easily fit in the same role.
    Which would seem to be a reason *not* to use the name for a non-fighting street thief who speaks perfect English.

People who do know her are a fraction of the movie-going public, and all they did using her name was aggravate folks who know and like the comics character.

Ultimate Member

Which would seem to be a reason *not* to use the name for a non-fighting street thief who speaks perfect English.

People who do know her are a fraction of the movie-going public, and all they did using her name was aggravate folks who know and like the comics character.
    Don't ask me to defend them using Cass

I honestly don't think that they had full confidence in Harley, hence why her movie was propped up by four of the most popular street level characters DC has.

And natch, Harley will get another movie, but the Birds? Not so much...

Invincible Member

They were pretty much her sidekicks (Huntress, Cass) or punch line (Renee)
    Harley was always the main character though.

And seriously, if they went with a comics accurate BoP, the majority of them would have be WASPy white women.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It could have been more of a team movie (not even the Avengers or X-Men are created equal, though) and my reason for watching were the Birds and Black Mask. The villains were fun. Planning to rewatch it soon.
    Sure, but the project that was greenlit was a Harley movie not a BoP movie. My understanding was that in the planning stages Robbie asked if there could be one or two other female characters in the story that she could play off. That morphed into what we ended up with.

Invincible Member

I wouldn't be shocked if there were some treatment that had a more traditional Cain, but after multiple rewrites she became the character in the movie and the producers didn't bother to change the name.

Realizing their error (too late), DC renamed the movie while it was still in theaters to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.
    I'm pretty sure this was fake news though, that it was just one movie theatre.

I don't get this criticism...no one gets mad at Guardians of the Galaxy for miss advertising itself when Star Lord is the main protagonist (So it should be called Star Lord and the Guardians of the Galaxy). Ensemble films (well, all the good ones, heh) still have a primary protagonist.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Harley was always the main character though.

And seriously, if they went with a comics accurate BoP, the majority of them would have be WASPy white women.
    Eh, depends which Huntress you're using

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

I don't get this criticism...no one gets mad at Guardians of the Galaxy for miss advertising itself when Star Lord is the main protagonist (So it should be called Star Lord and the Guardians of the Galaxy). Ensemble films (well, all the good ones, heh) still have a primary protagonist.
    The difference is that they have a stronger story and still leave some plot for the rest to stand out.

Cass, Canary, and Huntress all could have carried their own movie. Instead, they had bit parts in Harley's

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't be shocked if there were some treatment that had a more traditional Cain, but after multiple rewrites she became the character in the movie and the producers didn't bother to change the name.
    What part of the story would have had a bad ass Cass whupping ass?

Astonishing Member

Cain's story was supposed to continue in the Batgirl movie, which I believe has been shelved. There was a long term arc for her, perhaps of her slowly growing into the comics version of the character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Cain's story was supposed to continue in the Batgirl movie, which I believe has been shelved. There was a long term arc for her, perhaps of her slowly growing into the comics version of the character.
    Where'd you hear that? I know there was talk of a Batgirl movie, but no mention of Cass (or even a plot)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There's no reason to believe that. I think you might have read someone trying to pass off their hope and wish as fact.

Astonishing Member

I'm too lazy to look for a source....It was one of those gossip rags and I think came out of an interview with the actress who played Batgirl. Might have been wishful thinking but I believe (in general) there were plans for all the characters if the movie was successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Yes and no.

This is the best synopsis I can find from Vanity Fair:

"Initially, it was unclear whether theaters made this tweak at the secret behest of the studio, or if they were altering the film’s title out of their own self-interest. In an email to Vanity Fair, Birds of Prey producer and former Warner Bros. exec Sue Kroll clarified this, saying that while the title has not been officially changed, its online listings have just been tweaked so fans will “find it more quickly.”

The difference is that they have a stronger story and still leave some plot for the rest to stand out.

Cass, Canary, and Huntress all could have carried their own movie. Instead, they had bit parts in Harley's
    Okay, sure, but there does come a point though where you have to judge a film for what it presents and not what you think it should be. I don't think its fair criticism to say the entire cast, plot, etc of the film should be different and then you'll like it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut