View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Children of Magento yes or no ?

I am a fan of the Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) and Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) being the children of Magneto.
    I grew up knowing that they were part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants before joining the Avengers.
    In my opinion this made them both unique as they were part of the main superhero team yet their father was one of the main super villians of the Marvel Universe.
    After their background retcon in Uncanny Avengers# 4 vol 2 I was very disapointed.
    Sure Fox Studios owned the movie rights to the X-Men but I believe Marvel went down the wrong road by changing the Maximoff twins history and also trying to have the Inhumans replace the X-Men.
    Hopefully now with the Disney/Fox sale all but complete Marvel will right this wrong to Marvel continuity.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 07-17-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I don't want it anymore. Magneto's been on fire, lately. I attribute it to him tossing the dead weight. they'll still blame him for their horrible upbringing. but they can't blame the mental illness on him.

Wanda got a solo under her new origin. She did well for herself in it. Pietro now has a solo mini that I like. I like the way they are developing. Magneto would never make them happy and should just stay away from them.

Wanda and Pietro not being Magneto's kids doesn't change their history with the brotherhood as the father reveal was done much, much later.

Personally, I don't really care anymore, Wanda and Pietro should be moving forward not constantly looking back.

Of course, the retcon can easily be undone if necessary

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I am a fan of the Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) and Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) being the children of Magneto.
    I grew up knowing that they were part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants before joining the Avengers.
    In my opinion this made them both unique as they were part of the main superhero team yet their father was one of the main super villians of the Marvel Universe.
    After their background retcon in Uncanny Avengers# 4 vol 2 I was very disapointed.
    Sure Fox Studios owned the movie rights to the X-Men but I believe Marvel went down the wrong road by changing the Maximoff twins history and also trying to have the Inhumans replace the X-Men.
    Hopefully now with the Disney/Fox sale all but complete Marvel will right this wrong to Marvel continuity.
    I'm more bothered with them not being mutants. I liked that there were mutants on the Avengers. There should be a lot more, but people prefer them not mixing teams, so them not being mutants is understandable especially since their background was so obscure. Fox's Quicksilver was bad because he's just used for that repeated scene in the movies, and doesn't interact with Wanda, which I find more important then just telling Mystique he's Magneto's son.

Astonishing Member

I think them being mutants is very important to their backstory and the history of the avengers

I don't mind the idea that the high evolutionary also experimented on them

I think them being the children of one of Marvel's best villains is also very important and makes him more interesting too

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It was a stupid decision to make them not his kids again. To me they were probably the best family Marvel had. It added to all of them positively. The whole family (Magneto, Wanda, Pietro, Lorna, and Luna) all were more interesting when they were a disfunctional unit.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

My idea is this: Wanda and Pietro were the children of Magneto until Wanda altered reality so they were never the children of Magneto. Their past has been retconned so many times that one more won't kill them, but there are quite a few stories, particularly with Quicksilver, where his mutant status and even his status as the son of Magneto are essential.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    My idea is this: Wanda and Pietro were the children of Magneto until Wanda altered reality so they were never the children of Magneto. Their past has been retconned so many times that one more won't kill them, but there are quite a few stories, particularly with Quicksilver, where his mutant status and even his status as the son of Magneto are essential.
    I also agree with this. In my head canon I believe that in that storyline when the heroes went evil she just warped reality to change her and her brothers connection to Magneto.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It was a stupid decision to make them not his kids again. To me they were probably the best family Marvel had.
    I feel the same.
    It added to all of them positively. The whole family (Magneto, Wanda, Pietro, Lorna, and Luna) all were more interesting when they were a disfunctional unit.
    I wholeheartedly agree!

Personally I hated that retcon. They are adults, who is or who is not his father shouldn't weight so hard in their lives. Other hand they had a lot of history as Magneto childs in several universes. The change looks to me as a very unnecessary and didn't aported to the characters, while also breaking a interesting familiar dynamic. I just can wish that it gets another "shocking and living changing" temporal change.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I think them being mutants is very important to their backstory and the history of the avengers

I don't mind the idea that the high evolutionary also experimented on them

I think them being the children of one of Marvel's best villains is also very important and makes him more interesting too
    Do you mean Chthon or Magneto?

But I digress...

Wanda's rogue gallery is pretty much entirely mystical; Chthon, Set, Master Pandemonium, Lore. So, when X-Men writers have repeatedly and aggressively cut out her mystical aspect and defined her as entirely mutant, for whar seem to be dick-waving reasons, they effectively strip-out alot of her history.

Why are some retcons seen as awful whereas others are just dandy?

For example, the X-Men Evolution and Wolverine & the X-Men cartoons removed Chthon completely, a retcon every bit as cynical and spiteful as the 2014 one imposed by Perlmutter.

Retcons that damage Magneto are seen as A Very Bad Thing, whereas retcons that damaged Wanda, as the two cartoons and "No such thing as Chaos Magic" blatantly did, are viewed as perfectly fine.

This may have alot to do with how Marvel females are viewed as lesser than male characters by editorial and fandom.
    Last edited by Relugus; 07-20-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Adding stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I preferred them as the mutant children of Bob Frank (the Whizzer) and Madeline Joyce (Miss America), which itself was a retcon. But if not that, I'd prefer they be the mutant children of a Roma couple, the Maximoffs, as was assumed until Giant Size Avengers #1.

Sandy Hausler

Changing the twins relationship to Magneto didn’t make me less of a fan of the characters involved but I do wish that aspect could have been left alone. I liked the connection and I hope it comes back. In a sense as a unit they where Mutant royalty and the struggle the twins shared with their father was one that represents families in the real world.( on an extreme level but still)

I hope their relationship returns but I will still follow them regardless.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Changing the twins relationship to Magneto didn’t make me less of a fan of the characters involved but I do wish that aspect could have been left alone. I liked the connection and I hope it comes back. In a sense as a unit they where Mutant royalty and the struggle the twins shared with their father was one that represents families in the real world.( on an extreme level but still)

I hope their relationship returns but I will still follow them regardless.
    Wanda and Pietro are not only Mutant royalty. To me, they also represent HOPE to every mutant on th eplanet in the 616 Marvel Universe because they prove that the Avengers is for everybody; Human,Peek Human, Mutate, Asgardian, Olympian, Inhuman, Eternal and Mutant.