View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The ideal thing would be if we could trust Marvel to handle it the way they handled it for decades - Wanda and Pietro are Magneto's long-lost children but they have their own lives and it doesn't come up very often.

Nobody really trusts the Big Two to do right by characters anyway, but there are extra layers of mistrust layered on here because of the way they were treated in House of M and in Marvel's TV animation, where their origins as the children of Magneto caused them to be wasted on "Wolverine & the X-Men" and banned from the Avengers cartoon where they rightfully belonged. That didn't have to happen, they could have just introduced them on the Avengers cartoon as Magneto's children who defected from his side, but that's not what happened.

It's kind of moot because the twins aren't even in any comics for most of 2019 and probably much of 2020, but if they do restore the Magneto "family" I do worry it'll just cause them to be swallowed up by Magneto. I find them kind of boring as part of Magneto's story, but very interesting in every other way.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The ideal thing would be if we could trust Marvel to handle it the way they handled it for decades - Wanda and Pietro are Magneto's long-lost children but they have their own lives and it doesn't come up very often.

Nobody really trusts the Big Two to do right by characters anyway, but there are extra layers of mistrust layered on here because of the way they were treated in House of M and in Marvel's TV animation, where their origins as the children of Magneto caused them to be wasted on "Wolverine & the X-Men" and banned from the Avengers cartoon where they rightfully belonged. That didn't have to happen, they could have just introduced them on the Avengers cartoon as Magneto's children who defected from his side, but that's not what happened.

It's kind of moot because the twins aren't even in any comics for most of 2019 and probably much of 2020, but if they do restore the Magneto "family" I do worry it'll just cause them to be swallowed up by Magneto. I find them kind of boring as part of Magneto's story, but very interesting in every other way.
    It not being brought up or really used is why it's just not worth another retcon to retcon the retcon. I'd just leave it alone. When they actually feel like having some character interaction, that can still happen independent of being related. Since they still have history.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It not being brought up or really used is why it's just not worth another retcon to retcon the retcon. I'd just leave it alone. When they actually feel like having some character interaction, that can still happen independent of being related. Since they still have history.
    One comic that shows how that could work is the Avengers issue Mark Waid wrote during the Onslaught era, which dealt with Wanda's trauma over her years with Magneto (because of the whole ridiculous plot in X-Men at the time with "Joseph," the younger Magneto who later turned out not to be Magneto). Quicksilver referred to Magneto as "our father" once and that was literally the only mention of their parentage. Everything else was about their years in the Brotherhood with Magneto, which has always been the same no matter who their parents are.

Waid probably wrote it that way because he's a Silver Age guy who wasn't into that later retcon, but it does show how Magneto is a bigger part of their lives as their ex-boss, rather than their father - he didn't raise them so basically the only plot point they could get from that was Pietro and Wanda worrying that they were destined to be evil because of who their dad was.

Incredible Member Probability010's Avatar

I actually hated that panel, especially the line “… a man who could kill me with a thought”. Like, as if she couldn’t do the same to him. Ok, maybe not back then, but even there I wouldn’t be so sure.

I rather liked her little inner monologue at the very end of “Uncanny Avengers Vol. 1”, where she put the emphasis on being disappointed by Magneto over and over again. I feel the same about Magneto by now, as he gets thrown back to be an antagonist to the X-Men again and again (well, he is not right now, but only because every X-Men in “House of X”, “Powers of X” has gone bonkers)

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #125 Sep 1979
    "There's Something Awful on Muir Island!" First appearance of Mutant X (Proteus)
    On Muir Island, Moira MacTaggert is testing out Jean/Phoenix’s abilities to learn the upper limits of her expanded powers.
    Moira is disturbed at the seemingly limitless amount of energy the Phoenix can generate.
    After correlating some data, Moira hypothesizes that, after saving the universe from the effects of the M'Kraan Crystal,
    Jean had subconsciously created her own mental barriers to keep her powers at a manageable level.
    Now, however, they seem to be returning to their cosmic level and Moira would like to know why.
    Moira’s theorizing prompts Jean to recall the events that transformed her into the Phoenix
    and then the events that brought her to Muir Island following the supposed deaths of the X-Men.

The X-Men are alive and well, however, and believe that Jean is the one who died as well as the Beast.
    At that same time, they are undertaking a training session in the Danger Room.
    Wolverine attempts to help Colossus but is neutralized while an overconfident Nightcrawler is taken down by a sonic attack.
    After it’s over, Cyclops chews them out for their poor performance until Wolverine loses his temper over “playing games" and storms off.
    Cyclops laments to Storm that he’s uncertain the new X-Men, who still don’t function as a cohesive unit, will ever work as well together as
    the original team did because the disparate members were all brought together as adults rather than as teenagers as the original team were,
    and are each so strong-willed in their own ways that it’s hard for them to truly cooperate.

In orbit around Earth is Asteroid M, Magneto’s secret hideout. He is still recovering from injuries sustained in his last battle with the X-Men.
    While reviewing his computer records of his previous battles with the original team,
    he accidentally accesses an old data file on his late wife Magda.

Seeing her face causes him to recall the painful memory of the death of their child at the hands of bigoted peasants,
    as well as how Magda fled from him in fear when he used his powers to avenge their daughter.
    He deletes the file so that he does not have to relive the memories again.

Meanwhile, the mysterious man named Jason Wyngarde, a mutant himself,
    has been slowly molding the mind of Jean Grey since he first met her.
    He has been stalking her throughout her extended stay in Europe, taking on different guises
    and accessing her mind in order to plant the seeds for his plans to transform her into the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.

On Muir Isle, Jean seems to briefly fall into a trance while Jason is thinking of her. Lorna snaps her out of it however

and Jean uses her powers to instantaneously transform her clothes several times as she pirouettes around the room.

In Moira's lab, Moira pores over the data and ponders the fact that Jean has been granted powers akin to a god.
    Profoundly disturbed, she wonders where Charles Xavier may be and wishes he would come back.

Xavier is in the Shi'ar galaxy as Lilandra's consort. While she is attending to matters of the imperial court,
    Xavier who, by Shi’ar standards, is like “the village idiot” checks out holographic
    records of the X-Men’s previous adventures in this galaxy. Xavier had never been fully briefed on the events
    and only just realizes how much power that Jean/Phoenix wielded during the adventure with the M’Kraan Crystal.
    As Moira already has, Xavier realizes that Jean’s new powers are likely far too vast for her to control for long.
    He prepares to return to Earth immediately.

Back on Muir Island, Moira steps on a gold tooth. Examining it, she becomes alarmed
    and rushes to Mutant X’s containment chamber. She reacts in horror at what she finds there.
    Elsewhere on the island, Jean - using her powers to shield herself from the cold of Muir Isle - passes by Jamie and Alex.
    Upon entering Moira’s research facility, Jean detects an intruder in the vicinity. Changing into her costume,
    she begins searching for the intruder when suddenly she finds herself seemingly transported back in time to the Victorian era for a brief moment.
    She snaps back to reality when someone jumps her from behind. Looking into her
    attacker’s face, she screams in terror. Alex and Madrox hear her and run to investigate.

Back at the X-Mansion, the Beast drops by to check out the school.
    He’d left sensors in place to alert him of any possible intruders, which have gone off since the X-Men returned.
    He is stunned to find the X-Men whom he’d believed were dead very much alive - and vice versa.
    Explanations are made all around and he informs them that Jean is alive as well and visiting Muir Isle.
    While Cyclops places a call to Muir Isle, Beast departs to check in at Avenger’s Mansion
    and inform them he’ll be traveling with the X-Men to Scotland as well He doesn’t want to miss out on the reunion.

Lorna answers Scott’s call and tells him there is a security situation going on at the island.
    However, before she can explain further,

Lorna is attacked by some strange being that has a need for her.
    The last thing Cyclops hears before the line goes dead is Lorna's screams.

Story by Chris Claremont and John Byrne. Art by John Byrne and Terry Austin.

Extraordinary Member

Magneto's kids...the High Evolutionary coming out with his "no they're not" really was too gimmicky for me.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is really sad when you look at the votes and 90% of the people liked them better as a family. Come on Marvel you know they are better as a family then the mess you have made of them lately.

BANNED

Meh.
    Frankly, I think Pietro and Wanda are better off without him.
    I would be fine if they were mutants but God keep them far away from Magneto, as far as I'm concerned he hinders the potential both of them have as characters, and frankly it'd be great to have some big mutant characters who aren't tied to the X-Men and their drama.
    I mean honestly they aren't even really a family to me, I just feel the only reason people want to be Magneto's kids is out of the list of people beloved to be their parents he's the most famous.

BANNED

One comic that shows how that could work is the Avengers issue Mark Waid wrote during the Onslaught era, which dealt with Wanda's trauma over her years with Magneto (because of the whole ridiculous plot in X-Men at the time with "Joseph," the younger Magneto who later turned out not to be Magneto). Quicksilver referred to Magneto as "our father" once and that was literally the only mention of their parentage. Everything else was about their years in the Brotherhood with Magneto, which has always been the same no matter who their parents are.

Waid probably wrote it that way because he's a Silver Age guy who wasn't into that later retcon, but it does show how Magneto is a bigger part of their lives as their ex-boss, rather than their father - he didn't raise them so basically the only plot point they could get from that was Pietro and Wanda worrying that they were destined to be evil because of who their dad was.

The gimmick back then was for them to always blame Magneto for not progressing...no matter what, he saved them when no one else could. She couldn't get over that time period which is why she stayed angry afterwards. A pity. Because he was the only one to save her when Strange and her friends couldn't by Disassembled.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    The gimmick back then was for them to always blame Magneto for not progressing...no matter what, he saved them when no one else could. She couldn't get over that time period which is why she stayed angry afterwards. A pity. Because he was the only one to save her when Strange and her friends couldn't by Disassembled.
    Of all the out-of-character things about Disassembled the worst is the Avengers just standing there and let Magneto take Wanda, even though a) They know she hates his guts b) It makes no sense to put someone so dangerous in the hands of Magneto anyway.

It’s an example of how in the 2000s the one biological fact of Magneto being the twins’ father was used to write them as if they had been raised by him. It regressed Wanda in particular; that Avengers story was about how strong she had become since her Brotherhood days, while HoM made it seem like she was weak and blamed Magneto for everything, which is why her fans mostly dismiss that story as out-of-character writing.

Of all the out-of-character things about Disassembled the worst is the Avengers just standing there and let Magneto take Wanda, even though a) They know she hates his guts b) It makes no sense to put someone so dangerous in the hands of Magneto anyway.

It’s an example of how in the 2000s the one biological fact of Magneto being the twins’ father was used to write them as if they had been raised by him. It regressed Wanda in particular; that Avengers story was about how strong she had become since her Brotherhood days, while HoM made it seem like she was weak and blamed Magneto for everything, which is why her fans mostly dismiss that story as out-of-character writing.
    That and the whole she wanted babies so bad, when she was in reality unsure if they could even conceive and sought advice of a few people on it. Including Doctor Strange that assured her that magical babies was fine. But this event made it seem like he warned her against it because she wanted babies so badly. That she was ashamed of being a mutant when there isn't a panel to be found that proves that. Actually the opposite was true. Or that she could just warp reality on her own, without an outside power to do that (was sort of fixed 7 years later). That chaos magic never existed even though Strange himself had used it.

That event series was just full of it.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I’d rather they be Magneto’s kids and then the High Evolutionary enhanced their abilities.

BANNED

EXCELLENT suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Meh.
    Frankly, I think Pietro and Wanda are better off without him.
    I would be fine if they were mutants but God keep them far away from Magneto, as far as I'm concerned he hinders the potential both of them have as characters, and frankly it'd be great to have some big mutant characters who aren't tied to the X-Men and their drama.
    I mean honestly they aren't even really a family to me, I just feel the only reason people want to be Magneto's kids is out of the list of people beloved to be their parents he's the most famous.
    They are better off without him. The only person who ever benefited from the relationship was Magneto as it helped humanise him. For Wanda and Pietro it just added another layer of angst.

Dear god, that image on the left is uncomfortable to look at.