View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Ya, but I feel they still could see themselves as family just not be blood related.
    In the real world sure, but it’s not the real world and the politics involved in the retcon make that impossible. Since pre-Axis four years ago none of the twins referred to Lorna or vice versa for Lorna and them and won’t until the retcon comes down. Then one asks... Lorna and Pietro had a long term relationship going back to before they were officially related again, can’t they go back to it? No.

With the retcon in place it will continue to be like Lorna and the twins never met. One just needs to read the Quicksilver mini series to see how much that is the case where it’s touching on all Pietro’s historic relationships, but one of his biggest with Lorna can not be brought up.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-20-2018 at 06:56 AM.

This is where you guys might get your wish:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...n-man-strip-1/

A CBR article about OMH #7:
    https://www.cbr.com/old-man-hawkeye-...ath-flashback/
    Last edited by Witchfan; 07-20-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

When did they play up the family relationship between Lorna and the Maximoffs? Because I thought it was noteworthy that their family connection was almost entirely ignored during their X-Factor time together during the PAD run.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    When did they play up the family relationship between Lorna and the Maximoffs? Because I thought it was noteworthy that their family connection was almost entirely ignored during their X-Factor time together during the PAD run.
    Which PAD run? In 1991 Pietro was Magneto son then and had been for 9 years in the comics. Lorna had been Magneto's daughter, but at that point was not currently and shall we say between retcons. Their first interaction on panel actually assumed they knew each other very well from the Silver Age then fell into a sibling like relationship without them actually being siblings at the time.

His second and third run with X-Factor are a very different story.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Which PAD run? In 1991 Pietro was Magneto son then and had been for 9 years in the comics. Lorna had been Magneto's daughter, but at that point was not currently and shall we say between retcons. Their first interaction on panel actually assumed they knew each other very well from the Silver Age then fell into a sibling like relationship without them actually being siblings at the time.
    The first run. If Lorna was at that point not Magneto's daughter, that would make some sense.

I'm not saying they acted like they didn't know each other, just that there were no references to them being family.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

The first run. If Lorna was at that point not Magneto's daughter, that would make some sense.

I'm not saying they acted like they didn't know each other, just that there were no references to them being family.
    At that point they were still going with the idea that Lorna was not Magneto's daughter, just someone with similar powers. I believe it was Chuck Austen in the '00s who finally established that she was Magneto's biological daughter, and it stuck.

So, counter-intuitively, Pietro and Lorna formed their strongest bond back when they were not considered to be siblings, in PAD's first X-Factor run.

Pietro had an unspoken attraction to Lorna in PAD's X-Factor.

Lorna was in 1968 when introduced. Then editoral decided to have it reversed and they retconned the Magneto in the storyline into a Magneto bot.

They started going back to it bit by bit in the 90s, including having her on Genosha being treated as related with Wanda, Magneto and Pietro just not in name, then came Morrison’s New X-Men 132 calling him her father in the ruins of Genosha.

Austen picked her up a year later and explained it away that she had a DNA test done in-between time frames. PAD about a decade later explained what happened to her mother.

There is a point to be had about retcons of some sort.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-20-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Pietro had an unspoken attraction to Lorna in PAD's X-Factor.
    His comments about why he was dating Crystal in the 70s were focused on just how much he felt... uh.

That reminds me Axis also hurt the extended family relations.

Last edited by jmc247; 07-20-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

I am really sick and tired of people saying this will ruin the relationships cause they aren't blood related. Just cause that is the case now doesn't mean they can't still see them as family, Luna can still call her auntie Lorna just like how Valeria calls Doom and Ben her uncles. So Pietro and Wanda could still see Lorna as their sister and still see Magneto as a horrible being that Quicksilver yells at every time they are in the same room together.... can someone please explain what made their father and son relationship so unique again?

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I am really sick and tired of people saying this will ruin the relationships cause they aren't blood related. Just cause that is the case now doesn't mean they can't still see them as family, Luna can still call her auntie Lorna just like how Valeria calls Doom and Ben her uncles. So Pietro and Wanda could still see Lorna as their sister and still see Magneto as a horrible being that Quicksilver yells at every time they are in the same room together.... can someone please explain what made their father and son relationship so unique again?
    Its been four years and Lorna has not referred to even Pietro and Wanda in any way and vice versa. Hell, as far as we know she doesn't even know about the Axis retcon. If they can't get around to filling in the popular core family post-retcon relationships I am not giving any odds they get to the extended ones.

Still I have little doubt the retcon will come down in the next decade or two short of the MCU post X-Men integration deciding not just to keep Wanda and Pietro from being mutants, but also giving them an established living father in the movies who isn't Magneto so I have little desire to fight an issue that will resolve itself with time.

Wanda and Pietro's parentage right now as we speak is being promoted in Marvel games being played by 50+ million people.

In most of the official descriptions Marvel and who they license to puts out on the character is concerned they are related and to the casual fans one talks to at any convention in the globe who get their knowledge of them from such things or the animated shows they are.

The only place they consistently hasn't been is the comics read by an ever shrinking number of hard core fans. Check that the only place she isn't is current 616 comics as AU comics they have been ignoring it. Wanda and Pietro's parentage post Axis ironically is better respected across Marvel's various gaming outlets and information platforms and even comics they are putting out then Lorna's.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-20-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I think them being mutants is very important to their backstory and the history of the avengers

I don't mind the idea that the high evolutionary also experimented on them

I think them being the children of one of Marvel's best villains is also very important and makes him more interesting too
    Do you mean Chthon or Magneto?

But I digress...

Wanda's rogue gallery is pretty much entirely mystical; Chthon, Set, Master Pandemonium, Lore. So, when X-Men writers have repeatedly and aggressively cut out her mystical aspect and defined her as entirely mutant, for whar seem to be dick-waving reasons, they effectively strip-out alot of her history.

Why are some retcons seen as awful whereas others are just dandy?

For example, the X-Men Evolution and Wolverine & the X-Men cartoons removed Chthon completely, a retcon every bit as cynical and spiteful as the 2014 one imposed by Perlmutter.

Retcons that damage Magneto are seen as A Very Bad Thing, whereas retcons that damaged Wanda, as the two cartoons and "No such thing as Chaos Magic" blatantly did, are viewed as perfectly fine.

This may have alot to do with how Marvel females are viewed as lesser than male characters by editorial and fandom.
    Last edited by Relugus; 07-20-2018 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Adding stuff

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Its been four years and Lorna has not referred to even Pietro and Wanda in any way and vice versa. Hell, as far as we know she doesn't even know about the Axis retcon. If they can't get around to filling in the popular core family post-retcon relationships I am not giving any odds they get to the extended ones.

Still I have little doubt the retcon will come down in the next decade or two short of the MCU post X-Men integration deciding not just to keep Wanda and Pietro from being mutants, but also giving them an established living father in the movies who isn't Magneto so I have little desire to fight an issue that will resolve itself with time.

Wanda and Pietro's parentage right now as we speak is being promoted in Marvel games being played by 50+ million people.

In most of the official descriptions Marvel and who they license to puts out on the character is concerned they are related and to the casual fans one talks to at any convention in the globe who get their knowledge of them from such things or the animated shows they are.

The only place they consistently hasn't been is the comics read by an ever shrinking number of hard core fans. Check that the only place she isn't is current 616 comics as AU comics they have been ignoring it. Wanda and Pietro's parentage post Axis ironically is better respected across Marvel's various gaming outlets and information platforms and even comics they are putting out then Lorna's.
    Ya these things do take time I do see in a year having Lorna talking to the twins about what their relationship is, but it does take time for Inhuman fans we waited 5 years to get some real continuation of Ronan and Crystal's marriage since they didn't divorce but a forced separation. As for it showing up in a lot of places cool, it is popular I already knew this. What I don't get is why it is so popular basically the only thing I can understand is most comic readers today, and most other entertainment platforms got into using them when that was the status quo which ok cool. I would understand if they didn't do anything with it but the Scarlet Witch did get a solo series exploring family and that she is part of a blood line of magic users which was pretty cool.

Jessica Drew

Did she grow up among the twins?

Were they aware of her existence?

Did she awaken after they left?

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Jessica Drew

Did she grow up among the twins?

Were they aware of her existence?

Did she awaken after they left?
    Having recently read Evolutionary War (LifeProTip: Don't read Evolutionary War), there's a backup feature with the High Evolutionary's life story. I get the impression based on the story that the twins were there briefly but Jessia was young (possibly still cryogenically frozen) and the twins were certainly just newborns.