View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I really wish the movies had instead taken the opportunity to improve on the mistake comics made with Pietro in that situation. Because it really doesn't ever make sense. Pietro having been a mutant and knowing what it's like to be discriminated against, going against a synthezoid. When mutants consist of members that don't look human themselves. It just falls so much apart.
    Agreed, I could see him feeling a little jealous or sad because they were not more just the two of them and that actually happens with some sibling relationships even in the real world,when they are close and one of them gets married but he didn`t have to be that hostile over her relationship with Vision, he was practically made her and vision main antagonist for their marriage, it didn`t help he was telepathically forced to acept the relationship and unfortunately to keep the story from hapening on the movies they decided to just kill off Pietro, there was also the bussines of Peter Maximoff being on the Fox X-men movies so both things mixed probably.

There have been some rumors of Pietro being back in WandaVision, hope this is true but I am more interested in seeing Pietro again in the comics and interacting with the Avengers, with Luna, Crystal and maybe with Magneto and the X-men, retcon or not retcon it`s something that I would like to see again.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed, I could see him feeling a little jealous or sad because they were not more just the two of them and that actually happens with some sibling relationships even in the real world,when they are close and one of them gets married but he didn`t have to be that hostile over her relationship with Vision, he was practically made her and vision main antagonist for their marriage, it didn`t help he was telepathically forced to acept the relationship and unfortunately to keep the story from hapening on the movies they decided to just kill off Pietro, there was also the bussines of Peter Maximoff being on the Fox X-men movies so both things mixed probably.

There have been some rumors of Pietro being back in WandaVision, hope this is true but I am more interested in seeing Pietro again in the comics and interacting with the Avengers, with Luna, Crystal and maybe with Magneto and the X-men, retcon or not retcon it`s something that I would like to see again.
    I hope he comes back too, because he was done dirty. I won't hold my breath, but just hold out some small hope.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I hope he comes back too, because he was done dirty. I won't hold my breath, but just hold out some small hope.
    Agreed, now that the movie rights are no longer an issue there`s some hope.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'm not interested in what other fans think, this is strictly a conversation between two Wanda fans. Whatever other fans do has no influence to how I came to my opinions on Wanda's relationship with Magneto. Whoever those fans are, I'm not one of them and have never articulated my opinions to echo those opinions so I'm not sure where you got that from. All that you're speaking of is meta commentary, which are subjects that don't have anything to do with my opinions in-universe of the characters.

While this isn't wrong, I'm not speaking about it on the meta level when I categorise their relationship as "complicated." The two have a messy relationship which goes from high highs to low lows and no in-between, that's why its complicated. They don't have a standard family relationship - Magneto is incapable of doing that with any of his children. Pietro and Lorna get their own twisted relationships with him.

I'm not only using House of M, there's also Children's Crusade. Avengers Disassembled is very bad writing. House of M wouldn't have happened had Bendis not read Darker than Scarlet, he didn't just make it up whole cloth he was heavily inspired by Byrne's Scarlet Witch who wanted to redo the Phoenix saga with Wanda.

I became a Wanda fan though Busiek's 90's Avengers run, the only reason I bought up the cartoon is to figure out how you got that "princess" description of Wanda, which remains unexplained. Except Wanda's problems aren't strictly with the X-office, a massive part of how badly she's been hurt has been with storylines in Avengers titles. Wanda had a good run in Uncanny Avengers, all it takes is for her to have someone to protect her in the X-titles, like every character. For too many years she's had nobody, post-House of M.
    I brought up "Princess Wanda" because that's some fans come to understand her character when she was presented in the Magneto family package. Usually happen with new fans who know the basic and into that kind of stuff. Just a phenomenon I am not really fond of, you know? Bunch of misplaced headcanon and stuff. The cutesy fan arts and fics themselves are sweet and nice, but just very misleading.
    "Princess Wanda" is basically Wanda's image where her most well-known(not necessarily the most important) basic character traits and connections got processed through some pinky dreamy fan works,
    and oh my, they spread better than the actual comics themselves sometimes.(Which may or may not also happen with MCU fanbase.)

She never really had a place in X-titles anyway, so honestly that is the least of her concerns.

BANNED

Avengers West Coast #57 Apr 1990
    "Family Reunion!" Guest-starring Magneto and Quicksilver.
    The Human Torch’s emergency signal goes off, forcing him to leave the man with the eviction notice
    and fly to Wanda’s cottage, where Wanda has been convinced not to kill Hank Pym
    - although she tries to kill the Human Torch, only for Quicksilver to stop her.
    Magneto lifts himself, Wanda and Quicksilver out of the West Coast Compound on a slab of rubble,
    destroying Wanda’s cottage in the process, but with Wanda gone, all those imprisoned by her powers
    - USAgent, Wonder Man, Wasp and Agatha Harkness - are now free. En route to the Compound,

Iron Man comes into contact with the fleeing mutants,

and tries to fight them, but Wanda ultimately wins.

The Avengers West debate the best plan of attack at trying to rescue Wanda,
    while Wanda and Quicksilver are shown around Magneto’s Asteroid M.

Hank Pym, USAgent, Wasp, Wonder Man and the Human Torch venture into space,
    and eventually confront their mutant foes on Asteroid M,
    but after Wanda deactivates the Human Torch, Magneto renders the others incapacitated,
    and using his powers, sends them back to Earth in a remodified Quinjet,
    warning Wanda that her teammates were brave enough to fight him twice, which he respects,
    but that they will not be so foolish as to try and fight him again, for Wanda wanted to kill them….

Story by John Byrne. Art by John Byrne and Paul Ryan.

BANNED

But Robinson kind of made a big deal about her having a close link with magic by blood so a new writer would have to completely rewrite Natalya´s story and then make another story about how Wanda is related to Chton in the first place,
    because the one canon image we have of their relationship
    is the one where
    Magda is giving birth to the twins.
    But yes, this also can be done, it really depends what marvel plans to do in the future.

I hope he takes other themes from Avengers Children´s crusade like Tommy and Billy and Pietro being around. I actually miss Tommy a lot he deserves to be something more than just Billy´s twin, him and Pietro could have an interesting relationship. It´s also been said they will be around for Empyre.
    Another story about Wanda's link to Chthon isn't necessary, because it's still in place. It was not retconned out. Natalya would just not have to practice magic. Wanda got natural abilities from Chthon, and learned how to control them via Agatha's teachings. Not much change.

She should at least talk to the boys. I know they aren't technically her's and that's weird for her, but there is still a link. It's emotional because her sons are still gone, but they still live on in a way in Billy and Tommy. And I hope that gives her some sort of peace.
    Natalya gave birth to the twins in Serbia not Mt. Wundagore where Chthon has been prisoner for hundreds of years so yes I think a new story for her link to him is in order, even Agatha explanation of her link to him back in Anvegers Vol.3 has the basis of her being born on Mt. Wundagore.

I think it´s hard on both sides, for example Tommy comes from a home where his parets got divorced and then he was send to jail because of his powers so he fears rejection by a new parental figure, so I can see him being less nervous approaching Pietro than Wanda given their similarities in power, for Billy it´s easier because he got to meet wanda and also has his parents but writers have not really do much to develop them as mother and Son.
    Mount Wundagore is on the border of Serbia and Romania, so it's all the same. They just gave them a real country association. It's like when the handbooks had put Latveria close to Hungary. It's just the real world association to the fictional location.

Tommy met Wanda at the end of CC. It's just that he's kind of standoffish about everything.
    Being born on a neighbour country is quite different to being born on Mt.Wundagore iself the same night where the prison that hold Chthon was weakening, so yes, I still think a new story is in order to explain this, and also explain then what happened to Magda´s children but I would like that explained on a Magneto story.

I don´t think Tommy is standoffish at all, he just had a very natural reaction in meeting a virtual stranger that his virtual brother said was their mother. I think writers unfairly are kind of threating him worse than Pietro, he at least gets a few stories while Tommy is sometimes talked about by Teddy and Billy. I liked that he went off to have a job a be a part time super hero, he just needs to have more stories to develop more his personality,if he meet Luna that would also be great imo.
    She wasn't born in a neighboring country. Mount Wundagore is right there on the border. So part of it is in Serbia, the other in Romania.

No, Tommy jokes about his standoffish personality. He just doesn't show a lot of emotion.
    "Marvel needs to stop being petty and admit that
    Magento
    is the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver enough is enough!"

Reading an old Avengers issue (Not sure which one but in the 20s-30s, as part of the Black Widow epic collection) where Quicksilver muses that "Hey, maybe we're not mutants at all!" because their powers are fading. Kind of funny in retrospect.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Reading an old Avengers issue (Not sure which one but in the 20s-30s, as part of the Black Widow epic collection) where Quicksilver muses that "Hey, maybe we're not mutants at all!" because their powers are fading. Kind of funny in retrospect.
    I believe Tom Brevoort cited that scene, and the follow-up cameo in Thor where Lee/Kirby suggest that maybe they got their powers from the High Evolutionary, as an inspiration for the retcon, or at least the way it was carried out.

I don't know what Lee and Kirby were setting up there, but obviously it never got followed up on until Marvel management was at war with Fox.

BANNED

I can see the above be an inspiration The mutant Scarlet Witch with black hair

The panel is of them questioning the true source of their powers...

I don't really want them "blaming" Magneto for anything, though.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really wish the movies had instead taken the opportunity to improve on the mistake comics made with Pietro in that situation. Because it really doesn't ever make sense. Pietro having been a mutant and knowing what it's like to be discriminated against, going against a synthezoid. When mutants consist of members that don't look human themselves. It just falls so much apart.
    Just because you have been discriminated against does not give you and open view on things. How many black people have a problem with anyone dating outside their own people? Same with Asians and Latinos. It happens everyday all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Just because you have been discriminated against does not give you and open view on things. How many black people have a problem with anyone dating outside their own people? Same with Asians and Latinos. It happens everyday all over the country.
    Wow that's a delayed reply. But I was speaking on what is typical for Pietro. Everyone knows Englehart didn't really like him and vilified him until that was fixed by PAD.

Ultimate Member

Wow that's a delayed reply. But I was speaking on what is typical for Pietro. Everyone knows Englehart didn't really like him and vilified him until that was fixed by PAD.
    Why didn't he like Pietro?

Never mind. Wrong post
    Last edited by Writerblog; 08-17-2021 at 09:16 PM.