View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
298. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

267 89.60%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

31 10.40%
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    house of m was attempt to essentially destroy the mutant brand, but then fans latched on the "house of m"

As a result, they actively destroyed it as a response.

Despite this, media has spoken (in both the movies and the gifted).

now that the x is back under Marvel's umbrella, it's more or less when not if.

(but quit these office politics crap. Stuff like this is why the Summers line is so messed up).
    Quick Silver and/or Scarlet Witch are in gifted?

Boisterously Confused

Didn't vote. Mutants? Yes. Children? No.

It seemed a neat reveal at the time, but looking back, it narrows the MU too much.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Quick Silver and/or Scarlet Witch are in gifted?
    Don't think that's what he's saying. Think he's saying The Gifted is an indicator of mutants' enduring popularity, regardless of attempts to marginalize them behind Inhumans or Events designed to cull them from the MU.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    house of m was attempt to essentially destroy the mutant brand, but then fans latched on the "house of m"
    House of M wasn't intended to destroy the mutant brand, it was intended to make mutants rarer and more unique. The mutant culture thing of Morrison hasn't really repeated itself. So, in that sense, it achieved its goal even if I think Decimation wasn't a great idea overall.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Don't think that's what he's saying. Think he's saying The Gifted is an indicator of mutants' enduring popularity, regardless of attempts to marginalize them behind Inhumans or Events designed to cull them from the MU.
    When did they ever lose popularity? They have had at least one movie every two years for the past 18 years. House of M happened before Disney bought Marvel so it had nothing to do with what you're saying. Did you read "E for Extinction"? Check the date.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I also hate Wanda having anything to do with magic, but that's another issue.
    So totally agree. Iron Man's armor isn't literally made out of iron. Ant-Man and the Wasp aren't actual bug-peeps. Quicksilver has nothing to do with the actual element (or Roman god) Mercury. Why this constant need to literalize the Scarlet Witch's codename and make her an *actual* witch?

The mutant 'hex power' as described in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe back in the '80s was *ridiculously* powerful. She could rapid fire 'hexes' for *hours* and *choose the results* of her 'bad luck blasts,' making stuff fall on people, or stuff collapse under them, or their gear mysteriously malfunction, or stuff near them (or on them!) explode, or give them a muscle cramp or friggin' *stroke* if she felt like it (granted, she generally stuck to nonlethal hexes, except against Ultron, who A) wasn't technically alive, and, more importantly, B) was really kind of asking for it...).

But no, instead it's quiffily defined magic, which can do *anything,* unless it messes with the plot, and then sudddenly it does nothing but energy shields and zaps that take out mooks but only annoy bosses, in which case, why even use Wanda, instead of one of the actual 'zaps and shields' people like Quasar?

With her hex power, she occupied a unique niche between control and ranged DPS, with a power rarely seen in the genre. With magic flight, force fields and zaps, she's one of the most common character types after 'flying brick,' and, on-screen, might as well be named Jean Grey.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So totally agree. Iron Man's armor isn't literally made out of iron. Ant-Man and the Wasp aren't actual bug-peeps. Quicksilver has nothing to do with the actual element (or Roman god) Mercury. Why this constant need to literalize the Scarlet Witch's codename and make her an *actual* witch?

The mutant 'hex power' as described in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe back in the '80s was *ridiculously* powerful. She could rapid fire 'hexes' for *hours* and *choose the results* of her 'bad luck blasts,' making stuff fall on people, or stuff collapse under them, or their gear mysteriously malfunction, or stuff near them (or on them!) explode, or give them a muscle cramp or friggin' *stroke* if she felt like it (granted, she generally stuck to nonlethal hexes, except against Ultron, who A) wasn't technically alive, and, more importantly, B) was really kind of asking for it...).

But no, instead it's quiffily defined magic, which can do *anything,* unless it messes with the plot, and then sudddenly it does nothing but energy shields and zaps that take out mooks but only annoy bosses, in which case, why even use Wanda, instead of one of the actual 'zaps and shields' people like Quasar?

With her hex power, she occupied a unique niche between control and ranged DPS, with a power rarely seen in the genre. With magic flight, force fields and zaps, she's one of the most common character types after 'flying brick,' and, on-screen, might as well be named Jean Grey.
    I don't have strong feelings that Wanda should be a magic character - her MCU version really isn't, just a telekinetic and sometime telepath like Jean - but maybe because of her name or maybe just because she was the only Avenger who knew any magic at all, the comics always seemed to go to unconvincing lengths to state that she was not a real witch, not using magic, etc. It seemed like every time she appeared in a Mark Gruenwald-edited comic in the '80s someone would have to explain that she only relied on her mutant probability power, she knew no more than a novice about magic. Or worse, the writers would tell us that she was using mutant power in one scene and magic in another.

Probably the Kurt Busiek explanation - she has a mutant power to control a particular type of magic - is the best compromise explanation though most writers have not used it. (It also had the advantage of incorporating her then-parentage by saying that if not for the magic, her power would be energy manipulation like her father's.)

i'm alright with him not being the father. but it's obnoxious that they haven't revealed the real parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm alright with him not being the father. but it's obnoxious that they haven't revealed the real parents.
    We know the mother, just not the father

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    We know the mother, just not the father
    I know. it's obnoxious. if it isn't Magneto, who is it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I know. it's obnoxious. if it isn't Magneto, who is it?
    I think there is a Makkari theory. Or maybe they will do a Quicksilver comic exploring their father.

I prefer Mags being their dad and them being mutants. I'm also tired of them being subjects of retcons. Just revert the latest, and stick with it. Stop trying to re-invent.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think they should have the resonance to their time with Magneto - both as pawns in the Brotherhood, and then the years they believed they were his issue. But I also think they should have the resonance and relationship to the Roma they also thought were their family (or are, sorta).

I think my take on High Evolutionary is that he created "artificial" mutants with the twins. He did something to their genes and dna that make them mutants, but not through the normal evolutionary process.

In that sense, he has gone beyond even mutants' evolution as a "next step" in mankind. Wanda and Pietro are that and now they should integrate that into their lives and essence.
    They should still have some relationship with the Maximoffs and still could. But don't forget that Magda was also considered Sinti Romani.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I would prefer them to have remained the mutant children of Magneto. Not that I particularly care for either Quicksilver or the Scarlet Witch, but I think it's simpler, and has it so that a lot of solid stories haven't been made into comedies of error. To be honest I don't think it hurts Magneto at all, but makes Pietro, and Wanda less interesting by dissociation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I prefer Mags being their dad and them being mutants. I'm also tired of them being subjects of retcons. Just revert the latest, and stick with it. Stop trying to re-invent.
    Well they kind of have gone full circle from being the children of Maximoff's, to Frank's, to Eisenhardt's and now back to Maximoff's so this actually is fixing retcons?