View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

335 89.33%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

40 10.67%
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    2.Of course not, that's something that I think was left ambiguous for a reason. Did she called him a monster because he killed all these people, or it's because he isn't human? But when you consider the retrospect, it does throw a shade on her. "You threw lightning from you eyes...you are not human...you've become a monster". Yeah...
    Hmm, you discover that your husband is quite different from the man you used to know after your daughter died in an horrible death.
    Give the woman a break…The concept of 'mutant' didn't even exist then. What did she suppose to understand?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Hmm, you discover that your husband is quite different from the man you used to know after your daughter died in an horrible death.
    Give the woman a break…The concept of 'mutant' didn't even exist then. What did she suppose to understand?
    And I acknowledged all of that...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'll settle for Wanda having her spine severed and being left in a vegetative coma.
    Doesn’t that just mean Cthon will step in?

And I acknowledged all of that...
    So, I didn't understand what you meant to say. Sorry.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    So, I didn't understand what you meant to say. Sorry.
    Just to be clear, I believe there's place to interpret it both ways. I'm just leaning towards that she was scared of his powers and what kind of children they might have.

1.As shown, she didn't mind him killing beforehand.
    2.Of course not, that's something that I think was left ambiguous for a reason. Did she call him a monster because he killed all these people, or it's because he isn't human? But when you consider the retrospect, it does throw a shade on her. "You threw lightning from you eyes...you are not human...you've become a monster". Yeah...
    3.I actually think it was a sound success. As celebrated as Claremont's origin for Magneto is, I think it can't get enough praising because such a level of poignancy and subtlety is rarely seen in comics. Making a completely dimensionless, second rate villain like SA Magneto into one of the most complex characters written? That requires some extra talent. It took a lot to twist him into the bug eyed madman and worst of humanity is wholesomely responsible. We create our own monsters. Holocaust taught him submission, hate, apathy and loss. The lynchers added fear to all of that, and Magda contributed with abandonment. But it wasn't until his imbalanced and rough usage of power that finished the twisting of his brain all while CIA showed him humanity will never learn, only then, as Claremont symbolically put it "the dream died and nightmare was born."
    I'm not saying that overall making Mags seem more human was a failure, just in the way they handled that particular situation. Comics have this problem where a character might characteristically act a certain way in one book and completely different in another pretty frequently. I just don't think they valued Magda. It didn't matter how accurate she was. She was just meant to tell Mags story and be a background or side character. People are reaching if they think she hated him for being a mutant or he didn't love her or something. Because that's obviously not what the story is trying to convey. It's just people wanting something to be outraged about.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-15-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That is in spite of Magneto not because of him.
    Where would they be if not for "Daddy"?

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Where would they be if not for "Daddy"?
    Probably still Avengers, since Stan was leaving the X-books and taking them with him regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Probably still Avengers, since Stan was leaving the X-books and taking them with him regardless.
    You're right they never needed him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I think Relugus has a point about Magda not being treated very meaningfully as a character in her own right. Of course this is because she is a difficult-to-implement and sort of complicated retcon to give Magneto more depth. And she is a "mere" human being and all that stuff... going over the top calling her a prostitute though, and too many absolutist generalizations about male writers and total neglect of women in relationships.

If Magneto had a healthy, alive and long-term wife or whatever I don't think it would be feasible for him to have been the "insane megalomaniac" he was portrayed as initially in the 60s books. So Magda could never function that way. Now, should she be remembered by him or others more, etc, yeah.
    I think Relugus meant Magda falls into the trope about certain bastards/orphans charaters' moms where they are most likely prostitudes/slaves/maids/farm girls/dad's one night stands, etc(depending on the time era of the story.)
    And in those cases the mom is just some glorified womb to secure the character's biological existence. The focus is usually on the dad who is usually some king/noble, etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Doesn’t that just mean Cthon will step in?
    Praise Lord Chthon, he is as much a benevolent god as Mags is a nice dad.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I think Relugus meant Magda falls into the trope about certain bastards/orphans charaters' moms where they are most likely prostitudes/slaves/maids/farm girls/dad's one night stands, etc(depending on the time era of the story.)
    And in those cases the mom is just some glorified womb to secure the character's biological existence. The focus is usually on the dad who is usually some king/noble, etc.
    If that`s what Regulus mean this perspective doesn`t fit Magda`s character at all, especially in light of Magneto testament where it`s pretty clear they took strenght from each other to survive and after Anya died Magda leaving him was supposed to reflect what sometimes happens when parents lose their child at an early age under violent circunstances, they separate and blame each other for their childs death. Magda is a quiet character because there has not been much made with her after she served her part of the story, would it be interesting to know more about her? absolutely, I really would like to know more about their time together, their marriage and if Anya was also a mutant, but even without this Magda is way more than the kind of trope you are talking about imo.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-15-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    It's Max Eisenhardt's story not Madga's story, OK… But why belittling the woman?
    It's not because we don't talk about people that they don't matter.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    1.I'm not saying that overall making Mags seem more human was a failure, just in the way they handled that particular situation.
    2.Comics have this problem where a character might characteristically act a certain way in one book and completely different in another pretty frequently.
    3.I just don't think they valued Magda. It didn't matter how accurate she was. She was just meant to tell Mags story and be a background or side character.
    4.People are reaching if they think she hated him for being a mutant or he didn't love her or something. Because that's obviously not what the story is trying to convey. It's just people wanting something to be outraged about.
    1.And I think it was perfectly fine, it was tragic and so very humanly unresolved.
    2.Oh yeah, and it hurts the characters so much to the point that sometimes it's hard to tell how the character even has to be written.
    3.Well she was throwback fill in character to establish someone's more central past. I'm not even sure at that point she was meant to be pregnant with the twins. It was a later yet another retcon.
    4.This isn't reaching, this is discussing. This one of the ways of reading the outcome. She did love him, it was stated on panel they loved each other, but in that moment? We don't really know what she felt. Fact is she ran away leaving behind the man she loved with a burned body of their daughter...

1.And I think it was perfectly fine, it was tragic and so very humanly unresolved.
    2.Oh yeah, and it hurts the characters so much to the point that sometimes it's hard to tell how the character even has to be written.
    3.Well she was throwback fill in character to establish someone's more central past. I'm not even sure at that point she was meant to be pregnant with the twins. It was a later yet another retcon.
    4.This isn't reaching, this is discussing. This one of the ways of reading the outcome. She did love him, it was stated on panel they loved each other, but in that moment? We don't really know what she felt. Fact is she ran away leaving behind the man she loved with a burned body of their daughter...
    Having someone depicted as being wrong in one area for attacking their aggressors (in the eyes of Magda) counters his humanization. That was the problem I have with it. And sorry, I feel it's reaching. Just my opinion. It's trying to find fault.