View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

    270 92.47%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

    22 7.53%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 329
  1. #301
    Incredible Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I mean as we've seen in this thread, there are still people who to this day hate Wanda. And I don't think it's just because of Decimation, but because HoM was the first comic that ever suggested Wanda simply didn't like being a mutant (which is why she was human in her fantasy world) and that her being mostly an Avengers character was because she was a self-hating mutant. Her fans can argue against that all they want, and it's true that there was never anything before HoM to suggest she was a self-hating mutant (and that in fact she was "out" as a mutant when the X-Men all kept their identities secret), but that's what one big crossover story can do to a character.
    I agree I think Wanda could have been better served by a mini series similar to SOM that Pietro had because we didn´t really know what happened to her after HOM. Readers are more willing to let some stories go if they see appropiate addresing of the character´s situation post-fact, the way marvel symply let Wanda in limbo after an story like that really hurted her. My point is that this issue needs to get adressed head on and allow Wanda to give her take on the situation.

    At this point I'm so desperate to see her in a comic again that I would even accept a story about Magneto (and as I may have said before, I think I believe the idea that they were going to do a story like that and canceled plans for it; that would explain why she and Pietro have simply vanished from the comics). But I don't think it would do her any good.
    I agree marvel may have changed it to another date but I don´t see why marvel isn´t using the twins, right now, more than ever the Avengers are free to use them now that the X-office doesn´t have any handle of them. I agree marvel may as well be holding them off comics for a while as the saying goes "distance makes the heart grow fonder" maybe they will be on the "Incoming" crossover or after it but I don´t think that Magneto having a story with them would hurt them neccesarily it all depends on how the writer handles the story and what kind of balance is there between the characters involved imo.

    One of the things I like about Wanda as a character is that she's connected to so many parts of the MU: a former X-Men villain and longtime Avenger whose brother married an Inhuman royal, learned magic from the Fantastic Four's nanny, and whose husband has the same body as the Golden Age Human Torch. Oh, and the Sorcerer Supreme delivered her children.
    Me too, tbh is one of the things I enjoy with her and with this family, the way their connections with other sides of the marvel universe grow naturaly from their own comic book story.
    "The time for subtlety is passing. Now is the time for change." [New Mutants (Vol. 1) #38]

  2. #302
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    630

    Default

    The retcon always has a out in that Wanda may have cast a hex that changed her from a mutant to whatever and erased Magneto's genes. It can be Wanda's OMD with Chthon playing the role of Mephisto.

  3. #303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    The retcon always has a out in that Wanda may have cast a hex that changed her from a mutant to whatever and erased Magneto's genes. It can be Wanda's OMD with Chthon playing the role of Mephisto.
    Wanda's OMD events were Darker than Scarlet and AD/HoM. I think Mephisto also doing that would be unnecessary. And I actually believe the science experiment stuff is too. Because Chthon was already established as having given her a large portion of her powers.
    Was Curlytop

  4. #304
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    10,447

    Default

    Uncanny X-Men #125 Sep 1979
    "There's Something Awful on Muir Island!" First appearance of Mutant X (Proteus)
    On Muir Island, Moira MacTaggert is testing out Jean/Phoenix’s abilities to learn the upper limits of her expanded powers.
    Moira is disturbed at the seemingly limitless amount of energy the Phoenix can generate.
    After correlating some data, Moira hypothesizes that, after saving the universe from the effects of the M'Kraan Crystal,
    Jean had subconsciously created her own mental barriers to keep her powers at a manageable level.
    Now, however, they seem to be returning to their cosmic level and Moira would like to know why.
    Moira’s theorizing prompts Jean to recall the events that transformed her into the Phoenix
    and then the events that brought her to Muir Island following the supposed deaths of the X-Men.

    The X-Men are alive and well, however, and believe that Jean is the one who died as well as the Beast.
    At that same time, they are undertaking a training session in the Danger Room.
    Wolverine attempts to help Colossus but is neutralized while an overconfident Nightcrawler is taken down by a sonic attack.
    After it’s over, Cyclops chews them out for their poor performance until Wolverine loses his temper over “playing games" and storms off.
    Cyclops laments to Storm that he’s uncertain the new X-Men, who still don’t function as a cohesive unit, will ever work as well together as
    the original team did because the disparate members were all brought together as adults rather than as teenagers as the original team were,
    and are each so strong-willed in their own ways that it’s hard for them to truly cooperate.

    In orbit around Earth is Asteroid M, Magneto’s secret hideout. He is still recovering from injuries sustained in his last battle with the X-Men.
    While reviewing his computer records of his previous battles with the original team,
    he accidentally accesses an old data file on his late wife Magda.

    Seeing her face causes him to recall the painful memory of the death of their child at the hands of bigoted peasants,
    as well as how Magda fled from him in fear when he used his powers to avenge their daughter.
    He deletes the file so that he does not have to relive the memories again.

    Meanwhile, the mysterious man named Jason Wyngarde, a mutant himself,
    has been slowly molding the mind of Jean Grey since he first met her.
    He has been stalking her throughout her extended stay in Europe, taking on different guises
    and accessing her mind in order to plant the seeds for his plans to transform her into the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.

    On Muir Isle, Jean seems to briefly fall into a trance while Jason is thinking of her. Lorna snaps her out of it however

    and Jean uses her powers to instantaneously transform her clothes several times as she pirouettes around the room.

    In Moira's lab, Moira pores over the data and ponders the fact that Jean has been granted powers akin to a god.
    Profoundly disturbed, she wonders where Charles Xavier may be and wishes he would come back.

    Xavier is in the Shi'ar galaxy as Lilandra's consort. While she is attending to matters of the imperial court,
    Xavier who, by Shi’ar standards, is like “the village idiot” checks out holographic
    records of the X-Men’s previous adventures in this galaxy. Xavier had never been fully briefed on the events
    and only just realizes how much power that Jean/Phoenix wielded during the adventure with the M’Kraan Crystal.
    As Moira already has, Xavier realizes that Jean’s new powers are likely far too vast for her to control for long.
    He prepares to return to Earth immediately.

    Back on Muir Island, Moira steps on a gold tooth. Examining it, she becomes alarmed
    and rushes to Mutant X’s containment chamber. She reacts in horror at what she finds there.
    Elsewhere on the island, Jean - using her powers to shield herself from the cold of Muir Isle - passes by Jamie and Alex.
    Upon entering Moira’s research facility, Jean detects an intruder in the vicinity. Changing into her costume,
    she begins searching for the intruder when suddenly she finds herself seemingly transported back in time to the Victorian era for a brief moment.
    She snaps back to reality when someone jumps her from behind. Looking into her
    attacker’s face, she screams in terror. Alex and Madrox hear her and run to investigate.

    Back at the X-Mansion, the Beast drops by to check out the school.
    He’d left sensors in place to alert him of any possible intruders, which have gone off since the X-Men returned.
    He is stunned to find the X-Men whom he’d believed were dead very much alive - and vice versa.
    Explanations are made all around and he informs them that Jean is alive as well and visiting Muir Isle.
    While Cyclops places a call to Muir Isle, Beast departs to check in at Avenger’s Mansion
    and inform them he’ll be traveling with the X-Men to Scotland as well He doesn’t want to miss out on the reunion.

    Lorna answers Scott’s call and tells him there is a security situation going on at the island.
    However, before she can explain further,

    Lorna is attacked by some strange being that has a need for her.
    The last thing Cyclops hears before the line goes dead is Lorna's screams.

    Story by Chris Claremont and John Byrne. Art by John Byrne and Terry Austin.
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  5. #305
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Uncanny X-Men #125 Sep 1979
    "There's Something Awful on Muir Island!" First appearance of Mutant X (Proteus)
    On Muir Island, Moira MacTaggert is testing out Jean/Phoenix’s abilities to learn the upper limits of her expanded powers.
    Moira is disturbed at the seemingly limitless amount of energy the Phoenix can generate.
    After correlating some data, Moira hypothesizes that, after saving the universe from the effects of the M'Kraan Crystal,
    Jean had subconsciously created her own mental barriers to keep her powers at a manageable level.
    Now, however, they seem to be returning to their cosmic level and Moira would like to know why.
    Moira’s theorizing prompts Jean to recall the events that transformed her into the Phoenix
    and then the events that brought her to Muir Island following the supposed deaths of the X-Men.

    The X-Men are alive and well, however, and believe that Jean is the one who died as well as the Beast.
    At that same time, they are undertaking a training session in the Danger Room.
    Wolverine attempts to help Colossus but is neutralized while an overconfident Nightcrawler is taken down by a sonic attack.
    After it’s over, Cyclops chews them out for their poor performance until Wolverine loses his temper over “playing games" and storms off.
    Cyclops laments to Storm that he’s uncertain the new X-Men, who still don’t function as a cohesive unit, will ever work as well together as
    the original team did because the disparate members were all brought together as adults rather than as teenagers as the original team were,
    and are each so strong-willed in their own ways that it’s hard for them to truly cooperate.

    In orbit around Earth is Asteroid M, Magneto’s secret hideout. He is still recovering from injuries sustained in his last battle with the X-Men.
    While reviewing his computer records of his previous battles with the original team,
    he accidentally accesses an old data file on his late wife Magda.

    Seeing her face causes him to recall the painful memory of the death of their child at the hands of bigoted peasants,
    as well as how Magda fled from him in fear when he used his powers to avenge their daughter.
    He deletes the file so that he does not have to relive the memories again.

    Meanwhile, the mysterious man named Jason Wyngarde, a mutant himself,
    has been slowly molding the mind of Jean Grey since he first met her.
    He has been stalking her throughout her extended stay in Europe, taking on different guises
    and accessing her mind in order to plant the seeds for his plans to transform her into the Black Queen of the Hellfire Club.

    On Muir Isle, Jean seems to briefly fall into a trance while Jason is thinking of her. Lorna snaps her out of it however

    and Jean uses her powers to instantaneously transform her clothes several times as she pirouettes around the room.

    In Moira's lab, Moira pores over the data and ponders the fact that Jean has been granted powers akin to a god.
    Profoundly disturbed, she wonders where Charles Xavier may be and wishes he would come back.

    Xavier is in the Shi'ar galaxy as Lilandra's consort. While she is attending to matters of the imperial court,
    Xavier who, by Shi’ar standards, is like “the village idiot” checks out holographic
    records of the X-Men’s previous adventures in this galaxy. Xavier had never been fully briefed on the events
    and only just realizes how much power that Jean/Phoenix wielded during the adventure with the M’Kraan Crystal.
    As Moira already has, Xavier realizes that Jean’s new powers are likely far too vast for her to control for long.
    He prepares to return to Earth immediately.

    Back on Muir Island, Moira steps on a gold tooth. Examining it, she becomes alarmed
    and rushes to Mutant X’s containment chamber. She reacts in horror at what she finds there.
    Elsewhere on the island, Jean - using her powers to shield herself from the cold of Muir Isle - passes by Jamie and Alex.
    Upon entering Moira’s research facility, Jean detects an intruder in the vicinity. Changing into her costume,
    she begins searching for the intruder when suddenly she finds herself seemingly transported back in time to the Victorian era for a brief moment.
    She snaps back to reality when someone jumps her from behind. Looking into her
    attacker’s face, she screams in terror. Alex and Madrox hear her and run to investigate.

    Back at the X-Mansion, the Beast drops by to check out the school.
    He’d left sensors in place to alert him of any possible intruders, which have gone off since the X-Men returned.
    He is stunned to find the X-Men whom he’d believed were dead very much alive - and vice versa.
    Explanations are made all around and he informs them that Jean is alive as well and visiting Muir Isle.
    While Cyclops places a call to Muir Isle, Beast departs to check in at Avenger’s Mansion
    and inform them he’ll be traveling with the X-Men to Scotland as well He doesn’t want to miss out on the reunion.

    Lorna answers Scott’s call and tells him there is a security situation going on at the island.
    However, before she can explain further,

    Lorna is attacked by some strange being that has a need for her.
    The last thing Cyclops hears before the line goes dead is Lorna's screams.

    Story by Chris Claremont and John Byrne. Art by John Byrne and Terry Austin.
    What the hell has this got to do with the topic of the thread?

  6. #306
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Wanda's OMD events were Darker than Scarlet and AD/HoM. I think Mephisto also doing that would be unnecessary. And I actually believe the science experiment stuff is too. Because Chthon was already established as having given her a large portion of her powers.
    Those events can't be called OMD as none involve her relationship with anyone being erased. You can call the Vision Quest arc of West Coast Avengers her OMD but not the rest.

  7. #307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Those events can't be called OMD as none involve her relationship with anyone being erased. You can call the Vision Quest arc of West Coast Avengers her OMD but not the rest.
    I'm not meaning OMD as these stories perfectly line up, but OMD as this was character destroying. And was just done to set a mandate for something. Mephisto also kind of was the catalyst to it all. Him taking the children lead into Darker than Scarlet until it was written that it was Immortus manipulating her. Then 15 years later Bendis used that story to do what he did in AD/HoM. It's all linked. Just in a way that doesn't make much sense or really line up with continuity.
    Was Curlytop

  8. #308
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I'm not meaning OMD as these stories perfectly line up, but OMD as this was character destroying. And was just done to set a mandate for something. Mephisto also kind of was the catalyst to it all. Him taking the children lead into Darker than Scarlet until it was written that it was Immortus manipulating her. Then 15 years later Bendis used that story to do what he did in AD/HoM. It's all linked. Just in a way that doesn't make much sense or really line up with continuity.
    Yes, now that you have elaborated upon It, I see your point. It is a web of storylines that could be termed her OMD when taken together though they may not strictly line up due to the numerous retcons.

  9. #309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    What the hell has this got to do with the topic of the thread?
    The first panel is showing Max looking at a picture of a woman named Magda, his wife who is supposed to bear a strong resemblance to Scarlet Witch, while he looks like a more mature Pietro. The rest of the panels show the beginning of the Sentinel storyline in which they kidnap Polaris, and (later though not shown in these panels) Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, identifying them as mutants and adapt for their mutations. Something Scott and Jean later take advantage of in defeating them.

  10. #310
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Oh well that clears it up. I thought it was just some random panels and it seemed that except for the first panel which was tangentially related to the topic were unrelated to the subject.

  11. #311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I just died laughing I’m sending the ambulance and hospital bill to you
    Joke's on you, I (also) live in America where nobody has any money except the super-yacht owners.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad, now complete!

  12. #312
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,880

    Default

    https://mistress-lorna-dane.tumblr.c...e-worried-that

    As this post points out, Lorna has gotten along better with Magneto than he has with the Maximoffs.

  13. #313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://mistress-lorna-dane.tumblr.c...e-worried-that

    As this post points out, Lorna has gotten along better with Magneto than he has with the Maximoffs.
    One of the strengths of them as a family unit is they all had their various roles and relationships to Magneto. From Wanda's vantage point he was the cause of her life's problems going back decades. Pietro had a kind of love/hate relationship with him and vice versa going back to before they were related.

    Much of this was driven by factors outside any one writers control. The writers since the 60s remembered that Wanda and Pietro started out as antagonists and the Avengers side focused on them overcoming it (which typically meant hating on Magneto) or more to the point Wanda overcoming it as Pietro was not an Avengers writer favorite and often ended up on the x-books when they didn't use him for a few years. That led to Pietro having a more mixed opinion of Magneto because he was more cross connected to mutant issues including being part of some of his projects on the x-side while being an Avenger.

    Lorna has been around since the 1960s. Originally introduced as Magneto's daughter and had that retconned and back again. But, Lorna never really had base on an x-team that fought Magneto in any of the iconic story arcs. The only iconic story arc she had really was Genosha where it was essentially turning into a family led island and she was part of the political mechanizations that kept it afloat and the fallout from its destruction was an even more pivotal story arc for her. Post Genosha Magneto himself moderated somewhat so trying to treat her as the anti-Magneto which one writer did for a little while fell decidedly flat and has been ignored.

    1. Mutants with similar powers tend to congregate.
    2. Mutants with blood relations provide a big bonus to number #1 (Wolverine and Laura).
    3. Mutants with iconic moments that connect them provide an added bonus.

    The final one is Lorna herself is more free agent then X-Man. Magneto spent more years on the X-Men then she has. That puts her more in the category of Emma Frost or her father as a free agent then say Jean. The x-books really haven’t had a good idea on what to do with her status there which is a separate matter.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.

  14. #314
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    10,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I'm sure whoever came up with the idea to split the family apart again feels like a total idiot now that Marvel has the x rights back.
    Hear! Hear!
    That is like telling your gf she can go to hell and breaking up with her because you think you can do better only to have her win the lottery the next week.
    LOL!
    I am not even sure whos idea it was but it stinks of something Brevoort would come up with just to be petty.
    Dunno about Brevoort but Ike Perlmutter did whatever was in his power to promote everything and everyone Inhumans related and therefore, push down everything and everyone Mutant related.
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  15. #315
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,211

    Default

    I wish there was a way to easily check to see if you’ve already weighed in on a particular topic.

    My opinion hasn’t changed, no Magneto-Maximoff relation. The connection is terrible for everyone involved, and is quite boring.

    Corollary to my opinion: we’re too far gone to not have them be family, so whatever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •