View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

335 89.33%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

40 10.67%
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

I think the X-office doesn't believe in the Axis retcon and wasn't aware of it when it first happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think the X-office doesn't believe in the Axis retcon and wasn't aware of it when it first happened.
    They absolutely were aware of it. How they feel about it is a different story. I think Leah at least wanted to undo it and editorial stepped in. She point blank says they stepped in during her last interview.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

My bet is they will settle for "she was the daughter of Magneto, but she changed her past and now she isn't". That way they can have their cake and eat it...

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They absolutely were aware of it. How they feel about it is a different story. I think Leah at least wanted to undo it and editorial stepped in. She point blank says they stepped in during her last interview.
    Axis has always been in the minds of the X-Office. They were pulled into it and had to deal with the fallout for a few of the characters aside from Erik/Pietro/Wanda.

I don't know that Leah wanted to undo it, per say as it's no under her ability as a writer in the X-Office. I think she had penned a solid pitch on a story revolving around a Wanda "death"/M Day guilt/etc that would have been a 3 issue arc in X-Factor. But Jordan liked it he shared with the larger editorial team who decided to usurp the idea and make Leah write this abomination of a mini. I know Leah isn't everyone's cup of tea, but seeing how they forced the cancellation of X-Factor to sell a story that has no real "trial of magneto" and is bloated with cast members and nonsense, I feel bad for her as well as us readers. Editorial really saw $$$ because of WandaVision and put potential earnings in front of actually taking the time to develop a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Editorial really saw $$$ because of WandaVision and put potential earnings in front of actually taking the time to develop a good story.
    Truer words have never been spoken. Or typed, I guess.

I feel for Leah. There is a good story in here, it's just kinda messy now.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Axis has always been in the minds of the X-Office. They were pulled into it and had to deal with the fallout for a few of the characters aside from Erik/Pietro/Wanda.

I don't know that Leah wanted to undo it, per say as it's no under her ability as a writer in the X-Office. I think she had penned a solid pitch on a story revolving around a Wanda "death"/M Day guilt/etc that would have been a 3 issue arc in X-Factor. But Jordan liked it he shared with the larger editorial team who decided to usurp the idea and make Leah write this abomination of a mini. I know Leah isn't everyone's cup of tea, but seeing how they forced the cancellation of X-Factor to sell a story that has no real "trial of magneto" and is bloated with cast members and nonsense, I feel bad for her as well as us readers. Editorial really saw $$$ because of WandaVision and put potential earnings in front of actually taking the time to develop a good story.
    It's a shame because there were so many better ways to capitalize on WandaVision. No one wanted this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I am on the fence about it...

It would be ridiculously easy to undo the retcon. Wanda can remove the x-gene from all mutants and rewrite the past of a whole timeline... remove her own (and her brother's) x-gene and change their own past? That's child play for her.

Also, I dislike the clumsy way the retcon was done... the High Evolutionary made two babies he created pass as mutants for the lulz... it would have been much better to have them be Whizzer and Miss America's children again...

On the other hand, I am sick of the way Wanda is treated by mutants while Magneto's part is forgotten, and I want her as far away from them as possible...

Even if they reveal that Wanda is Magneto's daughter, I hope they don't give her the x-gene back... I don't want her to be roped into X-men adventures and get reminded of Decimation every page...
    She was never really "roped in" before. That was one of the issues Rogue had with her. She sat back so often while Mutants were persecuted and attacked and all of that didn't effect Wanda.

The main issue with the retcon which has been stated over and over in this thread and bears repeating is it added NOTHING to the characters at all. Not a single good story or additional characterization came from it. Shes still far more involved with Mutants now than she was prior.

Her and her brother being mutants with stronger ties to Avengers than X-men made them unique. Having a complicated, estranged, sometimes combative relationship with Magneto as their father made them interesting and unique. There are so many stories that could continue to be told delving into that basic familial concept. You retcon that away and what's left? It just leaves all of them less interesting, less basic building blocks for conflict, and all the varied stories you could have them pop into.

Quicksilver barely ever interacts with his daughter, we never see him interact with his nephews. He has clearly been diminished losing Magneto as a father with nothing good to replace it.

Same with Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    You retcon that away and what's left?
    Literally thousands of comics of character progression that had nothing to do with that dynamic. Despite how it feels, there were very few stories, especially with Wanda involving any of that. It didn't make her more interesting. It didn't even benefit her. Every story was destructive to any progression for her. And she was usually treated as meek, child-like or controlled.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Which interview is that? Can I please have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    Which interview is that? Can I please have a link?
    Here is the interview/podcast from Battle of the Atom: http://www.comicsxf.com/2021/08/16/b...leah-williams/

And this YT video from the series "Thinking Critical" is a thoughtful recap of it plus some other thoughts on how editorial interference killed X-Factor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-JETwpeT4
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 12-06-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Are you saying Magneto isn't relevant ... what do you mean exactly? The character as a Jewish Holocaust survivor, a survivor of the Nazi regime, is more relevant than ever. In these times, when there is rampant Holocaust denial, growing racism and anti-Semitism and fascism taking hold in our own government, Magneto as a protector of mutant rights and a survivor of the Holocaust is more relevant than ever.
    Except, depending on the writer, Magneto is also a Hitler-like figure who wants to enslave or kill all humans... that's not somebody Jew people want to represent them...

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    Except, depending on the writer, Magneto is also a Hitler-like figure who wants to enslave or kill all humans... that's not somebody Jew people want to represent them...
    That would just be Morrison imo and this was the same reason why it was retconed because not even Stan Lee original Magneto was supposed to reflect the Nazis, instead he was going to be a kind of stand in for the soviet union and so you have him talking about taking over an island(A stand in for Cuba) in favor of mutants and getting rid of the US nuclear arsenal with his powrers in the silver age and we even have the fights between Xavier representing the west in the first issues. Even first Class referenced some of this for the same reason.

Claremont, who´s Jewish himself, is the one who added the Holocaust background story and the friendship between Xavier and Magneto, before that Stan Lee meant for them to be brothers and that´s why Magneto has some kind of telepathy in the silver age, Claremont scratched that but keep the powers, uniform, relationship with Xavier and added his backstory.

I don´t think Claremont pretended Magneto to be a role model for Jewish people but he did his retelling of Magneto acording to Holocaust survivors he meet while he was living on Israel, if I were to look for his Jewish model, I think Kitty was that for him while Magneto represented the politics post WWII.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-06-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

baumblume

Here is the interview/podcast from Battle of the Atom: http://www.comicsxf.com/2021/08/16/b...leah-williams/

And this YT video from the series "Thinking Critical" is a thoughtful recap of it plus some other thoughts on how editorial interference killed X-Factor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-JETwpeT4
    leah says wanda is not a mutant but she doesn't say a word that pietro isn't a mutant

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    leah says wanda is not a mutant but she doesn't say a word that pietro isn't a mutant
    She doesn't say that. She says that she inquired about the possibility of exploring whether or not she is a mutant, but was told that the MCU has a hold on what can be discussed in regards to that so she can't say anything other than people may be disappointed. Pietro was not mentioned (aside from the brief discussion of WandaVision) in this interview at all so if she isn't, he isn't.

She doesn't say that. She says that she inquired about the possibility of exploring whether or not she is a mutant, but was told that the MCU has a hold on what can be discussed in regards to that so she can't say anything other than people may be disappointed. Pietro was not mentioned (aside from the brief discussion of WandaVision) in this interview at all so if she isn't, he isn't.
    Ugh why not??
    I could a damn about the Pretender but Pietro earned his mutant status
    GrindrStone(D)