View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

335 89.33%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

40 10.67%
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    ... I'm sorry but, anyone who feels like that has other issues with Magneto being Jewish and a Holocaust survivor, than a concern over his age in the comics.
    Right? Time to get real.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    ... You keep on saying it was retconned like Magneto had an origin beforehand and wasn't a blank slate.
    Exactly! Don't try to muddy the waters, by confusing retcon, with revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They do have Jewish people in Bosnia...

Although in retrospect it would be much more likely he'd be a muslim...

I don't know. Could be terrible, could make him more relevant than he has been in ages.
    It's terrible and really really stupid

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Exactly! Don't try to muddy the waters, by confusing retcon, with revelation.
    And even if it was a retcon, who cares? Thor was originally a human named Donald Blake who transformed into a god when he used the hammer. Then they retconned it so he had always been Thor, and "Donald Blake" was just an identity Odin created to teach him humility. That doesn't mean undoing that retcon wouldn't damage the character he's been for decades now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    And even if it was a retcon, who cares? Thor was originally a human named Donald Blake who transformed into a god when he used the hammer. Then they retconned it so he had always been Thor, and "Donald Blake" was just an identity Odin created to teach him humility. That doesn't mean undoing that retcon wouldn't damage the character he's been for decades now.
    REALLY good point, and one that I don't see could be argued, legitimately. Thank you, for broadening perspectives, including my own.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Magneto isnt exactly irrelevant. He's headlined two major X-men titles recently and is about to get a third. Not to mention he had a solo prior to that and has been consistently used since he returned to the X-men way back in the San Francisco run
    Succesful is not the same as relevant.

Look, when you start to need to do stuff like that just to make them be at least somewhat workable, you're better off to just scrapping the problematic part and do a big, simplifying retcon.

Simplest solution would be getting rid of Magneto's WWII connection.

No, that’s the most antisemitic solution.

Fortunately Magneto is still relevant. Considering you keep alluding to it, why do you keep implying that he is not?

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

I'm also curious as to why you would think Magneto being a survivor of the Bosnian genocide would make him more relevant than being a Holocaust survivor.

BANNED

But it's just as, if not more so, important to business. Besides, relevancy, is subjective. Especially in this case, it seems.

Are you saying Magneto isn't relevant ... what do you mean exactly? The character as a Jewish Holocaust survivor, a survivor of the Nazi regime, is more relevant than ever. In these times, when there is rampant Holocaust denial, growing racism and anti-Semitism and fascism taking hold in our own government, Magneto as a protector of mutant rights and a survivor of the Holocaust is more relevant than ever.

If you're saying that the character isn't relevant in the comics, I don't understand that either. Magneto has never been more popular, as others have said, given his prominence in pop culture, in the films, etc. The word "relevant" doesn't seem particularly apt for analyzing a comic book super hero character in any case. "Successful" does seem to be the more important consideration.

Do you think there are some bigots at Marvel who want to destroy Magneto's history? Do you know this to be the case? I mean, you predicted Magneto getting trashed in X-MEN BLUE. Do you have some inside info from Marvel? You brought up the WWII connection and Magneto's age in this thread so I was wondering.

BANNED

Wanda & Pietro should absolutely be the children of Magneto. The retcon that they were products of the tampering of the High Evolutionary made redundant dozens of stories and was a real blow to the fans. Severing that linkage was a poor choice on Marvels part, and not only did it impact the twins relationship with their father, but it then impacts their extended families. Lorna is no longer Wanda + Pietro's sister and has no nephews or nieces. Furthermore, Luna, Billy, Tommy are no longer Erik's grandchildren. Together, it's easily one of the more interesting family trees in Marvel canon, and I would prefer it be restored. Hell, I pity Billy ever trying to piece together his family tree. Even worse if he ever adopts a child with Teddy.

I suppose Billy + Tommy aren't mutants either too, which I think sucks. An inherited X-Gene rather than inherited genetic tampering is preferable.

I understand the decision likely came about because of Fox having ownership of the mutants (not that Marvel has directly admitted as such), but there's no other reason why that relationship shouldn't exist. It enriches all characters involved and opens a lot of doors in terms of stories to be told.

I also would love to see Pietro as an X-Man, as I think he has a great dynamic with a number of their members, probably more than the Avengers actually. They're a little more tolerant, and I think their dynamics are a little more natural. Wanda I think should stick with her Avengers roots though, and a further exploration of her magical capabilities (though I'm certainly not ruling out her coming to the aid of the X-Men).

BANNED

Some fans must just be 💚-less:

... all 6 of 'em. 8p

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Wanda & Pietro should absolutely be the children of Magneto. The retcon that they were products of the tampering of the High Evolutionary made redundant dozens of stories and was a real blow to the fans.
    certainly. but is it realistic for the twins to wind up on Wundagore Mountain without being experimented upon by the High Evolutionary?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Wanda & Pietro should absolutely be the children of Magneto. The retcon that they were products of the tampering of the High Evolutionary made redundant dozens of stories and was a real blow to the fans. Severing that linkage was a poor choice on Marvels part, and not only did it impact the twins relationship with their father, but it then impacts their extended families. Lorna is no longer Wanda + Pietro's sister and has no nephews or nieces. Furthermore, Luna, Billy, Tommy are no longer Erik's grandchildren. Together, it's easily one of the more interesting family trees in Marvel canon, and I would prefer it be restored. Hell, I pity Billy ever trying to piece together his family tree. Even worse if he ever adopts a child with Teddy.

I suppose Billy + Tommy aren't mutants either too, which I think sucks. An inherited X-Gene rather than inherited genetic tampering is preferable.

I understand the decision likely came about because of Fox having ownership of the mutants (not that Marvel has directly admitted as such), but there's no other reason why that relationship shouldn't exist. It enriches all characters involved and opens a lot of doors in terms of stories to be told.

I also would love to see Pietro as an X-Man, as I think he has a great dynamic with a number of their members, probably more than the Avengers actually. They're a little more tolerant, and I think their dynamics are a little more natural. Wanda I think should stick with her Avengers roots though, and a further exploration of her magical capabilities (though I'm certainly not ruling out her coming to the aid of the X-Men).
    Well while not blood related I can still see the 3 kids viewing them as a Grandparent and aunt, although what has Lorna's relationship really been all I can tell was War of Kings and
    All-New X-factor for Luna, as for Billy and Tommy does she even know they exist? But ya Billy and Tommy could still be Mutants although I kind of view those 2 the same I viewed Wanda and Pietro's Mutant status Wanda/Billy is whatever since people think of them more for Marvel's magic group, but Pietro/Tommy ya they should be Mutants, hell you mention wanting Pietro part of the X-men I say give it to Tommy who has been very absent from comics and let's all face it the Fox Quicksilver is really more like Tommy than Pietro.