Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    The point I think you're missing is people can act Jewish without being a Jew.
    But to be fair, people can act (and have acted) lesbian without being a lesbian.

Sandy Hausler

EDIT: I see SJNeal made this point. Sorry for repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I liked her better before that dumb retcon.
    That was there pretty much from the start...it's not like she is the Original Kathy Kane Batwoman, they were two separate people.

Extraordinary Member

I really do not understand why people are throwing their arms up. Likelihood is that, she will certainly be caucasian and pale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    But to be fair, people can act (and have acted) lesbian without being a lesbian.
    Chyler Leigh and Floriana Lima come to mind.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You can also act gay without being gay.

Just sayin'.
    Kind of what actors are supposed to do, right? Pretend to be other people? There are limits, for sure, but we do tie ourselves in knots over this a bit excessively.

Not every socio-ethnically misaligned casting is a declaration of war on somebody.

Ultimate Member

Can't you be Jewish and be any race?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    That was there pretty much from the start...
    I don't remember anything about her being related to Bruce Wayne, so I figure they retconned that in at some point after I quit reading.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Can't you be Jewish and be any race?
    Ask that in Israel and you'll a variety of answers.

All-New Member

The important part is not wherever the actress will be of Jewish origins or not (like other people in this thread said: Jewish people can be of many colors and figures) but rather if they'll address her Judaism in the series at all.

Take Legion for example: David Haller is Jewish, even born to a holocaust survivor Israeli mother, yet this entire plot line was entirely discarded in the series (to my knowledge). Why? Maybe it's because of the series abstract nature, where grounded worldly details are set aside. But I can't say I wasn't disappointed to see this, as a Jew.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
    The important part is not wherever the actress will be of Jewish origins or not (like other people in this thread said: Jewish people can be of many colors and figures) but rather if they'll address her Judaism in the series at all.

Take Legion for example: David Haller is Jewish, even born to a holocaust survivor Israeli mother, yet this entire plot line was entirely discarded in the series (to my knowledge). Why? Maybe it's because of the series abstract nature, where grounded worldly details are set aside. But I can't say I wasn't disappointed to see this, as a Jew.
    Thing is she's not even a practicing jew and apart from a few bits in 52 where she made her debut it's not really been touched. If the show is accurate to the comic it will be a brief mention she's part jewish and never mentioned again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    This is dumb. She's half ethnically Jewish and doesn't practice. It she resembles physically the character and can act, it doesn't matter. The focus on identity of character matching actor, writer, and director is absolutely moronic and will destroy the entertainment industry if they stay on this track. RDJ and Scarlett Johansson are both half ethnically Jewish. Does that mean they are now unqualified to play non-Jewish character Tony Stark and Natasha Romanoff? Should Sean Penn have his Oscar revoked because he's not gay like Harvey Milk? Should Phil LaMarr not be allowed to voice Samurai Jack?
    Well said. Years ago Doris Day and Rock Hudson acted in dozens of romantic comedies together despite Hudson being gay. Tom Cruise was Oscar nominated and Eddie Redmayne an Oscar winner for playing real life disabled men, and the 'real guys' had nothing but praise for them. If a disabled actor, or an actor who was gay or black lost out because they chose someone straight, white or able bodied for the role understandable - but things are starting to get over the top. People won't be able to actually 'act' if this carries on.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Thing is she's not even a practicing jew and apart from a few bits in 52 where she made her debut it's not really been touched. If the show is accurate to the comic it will be a brief mention she's part jewish and never mentioned again.
    Then the larger question is why Jewish characters in the entertainment industry are few and far between, and when there is a Jewish character, the fact that they're Jewish is not that important to the character's self-expression.

Also, as I stated earlier, being Jewish is not just a religion. It is an ethnicity, culture, and history. So Jewish identity is important to even non-practicing Jews because there are so many facets to it. However, it gets routinely ignored in Hollywood and comics.

Ultimate Member

Well CBR here is saying that Ruby Rose has been cast as Batwoman...so...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well CBR here is saying that Ruby Rose has been cast as Batwoman...so...
    That seems like perfect casting to me.

What an incredible get. Good job, CW.

It's also good to know that she started acting in dramatic roles, but can still do things like this: