Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ruby Rose just deactivated her Twitter and Instagram accounts due to negative reactions from "fans" i.e. cyber-bullying.

I hate the entitlement of some "fans". No one should ever act like that.

Oh my garsh, an actress only a small percentage of the viewing audience could recognize was cast to portray a character nobody outside of a small percentage of comic fans would recognize. clearly there has been all sorts of "toxic" reactions that warrant this move.

This has all the hallmarks of a BS marketing scheme.

Don't fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Oh my garsh, an actress only a small percentage of the viewing audience could recognize was cast to portray a character nobody outside of a small percentage of comic fans would recognize. clearly there has been all sorts of "toxic" reactions that warrant this move.

Don't fall for it.
    I hope your tinfoil hat is keeping your head warm at the least....

Anyway all this proves is that once again, twitter is a garbage social media platform that needs to be shutdown.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I hope your tinfoil hat is keeping your head warm at the least....

Anyway all this proves is that once again, twitter is a garbage social media platform that needs to be shutdown.

Tinfoil? Really?

A pilot that hasn't been picked up by anybody suddenly gets a "toxic reaction" from fans of a c-list character which just coincidentally grants it more coverage by the various entertainment outlets out there than would have occurred absent any such incident.

Wow, I must have been insane to ever think that a company might fake protests of their product in order to gin up a excitement about a product (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...o-protest.html). That could never possibly happen.

Nor would they ever just focus on some random internet schmucks in order to push a particular narrative about their product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc).

Fantastic Member

sorry, double post
    Last edited by trooper_thorn; 08-12-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So basically no actress can be cast in any "geek" franchise and stay on social media anymore. This is why I hate other geeks.
    No one works on a "geek" franchise without having to deal with a sea of assholes.

Tinfoil? Really?

A pilot that hasn't been picked up by anybody suddenly gets a "toxic reaction" from fans of a c-list character which just coincidentally grants it more coverage by the various entertainment outlets out there than would have occurred absent any such incident.

Wow, I must have been insane to ever think that a company might fake protests of their product in order to gin up a excitement about a product (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...o-protest.html). That could never possibly happen.

Nor would they ever just focus on some random internet schmucks in order to push a particular narrative about their product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc).
    You must be new to Twitter and geek fandom in general. Trust me, there really are idiots like that out there. No one has to make them up. In fact it would be hard to make up some of the idiotic things they say.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    No one works on a "geek" franchise without having to deal with a sea of assholes.
    Fair point.
    Assassinate Putin!

Don't fall for it.
    You could say almost the exact same thing concerning the harassment that, say, Kelly Marie Tran received. An example involving a lesser-known actress and, at least initially, a lesser-known character. Was that also "a BS marketing scheme"? No, and neither is that the case here.
    Last edited by Caivu; 08-13-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

My default is to take the word of someone being harassed unless there's evidence a lot more substantial than her being a "barely known actress playing a C-List character". Just because it's possible this is a ploy, there's no reason to think that it is. And idiots taking any lame excuse to be hostile on Twitter? I have no problem believing that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My default is to take the word of someone being harassed unless there's evidence a lot more substantial than her being a "barely known actress playing a C-List character". Just because it's possible this is a ploy, there's no reason to think that it is. And idiots taking any lame excuse to be hostile on Twitter? I have no problem believing that.
    I'm not seeing how this is even possibly a ploy. What'd be the point of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm not seeing how this is even possibly a ploy. What'd be the point of it?
    Garnering sympathy to distract from the criticism and get more people on the harassee's side.

That's a horrible bit of cynical thinking, but that's the gist of it.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Garnering sympathy to distract from the criticism and get more people on the harassee's side.

That's a horrible bit of cynical thinking, but that's the gist of it.
    That's not how tv studios decide on whether or not to pick up a pilot. They are far more likely to drop it because of the controversy that has been stirred up.

I'll never understand the need some people feel that they have to go and harass others on social media. Especially when it gets into the extreme parts (death threats and the like).

And I don't see the need to be so negative on her casting. Grant Gustin isn't blonde like comics Barry Allen is. Arrow Oliver Queen is more Batman than comic book Green Arrow (did he ever make chili in the show?). TV Supergirl didn't become Supergirl until her mid-20s, while in the comics and other media, she's usually about 16 when she becomes Supergirl.

So criticizing an actress before she's even begun filming seems kind of petty. Lets not forget other casting choices that at first, were heavily criticized, but then later praised when people actually saw them in that role (Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Heath Ledger as Joker, Ben Affleck as Batman, etc).

So, give her a chance before jumping on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That's not how tv studios decide on whether or not to pick up a pilot. They are far more likely to drop it because of the controversy that has been stirred up.
    Exactly. That's part of why it makes no sense for it to be some sort of ploy.

Edit: double post