Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This sounds like it'll be crazy fun. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    A drawing of one of the combattants, I guess :

Battle Beast? Is that you?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Cover for the first issue :

So, issue one is out, and I'm really digging it ! War Cry and Deep Dweller couldn't be more different, and it's great, because it shows how the same events and peoples can be both lauded and hated. I also really like the art, it sublimates the whole time period.

And of course, the final reveal is insane.

spoilers:
    I mean, come on, Firestorm still alive, and possibly evil ? That's crazy !
    end of spoilers

I didn’t really enjoy Orlando’s Supergirl or JLA, but I liked this. The main character is a bit of jerk and I’m sure the story will involve him overcoming his anger towards nonhumans. Foreman’s art is fantastic and I can’t wait to see him draw the fights. Kinda scratching my head at what the cliffhanger is about though.

As I was nearing the end of the first issue, I was feeling like, eh, this was ok, something different. But the twist near the end, definitely made me wanna pick up the next issue.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    As I was nearing the end of the first issue, I was feeling like, eh, this was ok, something different. But the twist near the end, definitely made me wanna pick up the next issue.
    Yeah, the twist is great.

But what I find even more interesting is how Orlando is depicting a clearly racist character, Ian, in a clearly racist setting, pairing him with someone who is what I consider a anti-racism well-doer who comes off wrong. Kana means well, but she seems unable to even start to grasp what the Human's problem with the Tribesfolk is. And Ian comes off has both terribly in the wrong in his behavior toward Others (it is a very toxic one, which only earns him suffering) but also having a point about Superman's influence on peoples, and how it can lead to the wrong messages being taken to heart.

I wonder how Orlando will work on this one and develop Ian and Kana over the next five issues. I really hope he'll manage it and then get to explore more of this "Dark Age" of DC.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, the twist is great.

But what I find even more interesting is how Orlando is depicting a clearly racist character, Ian, in a clearly racist setting, pairing him with someone who is what I consider a anti-racism well-doer who comes off wrong. Kana means well, but she seems unable to even start to grasp what the Human's problem with the Tribesfolk is. And Ian comes off has both terribly in the wrong in his behavior toward Others (it is a very toxic one, which only earns him suffering) but also having a point about Superman's influence on peoples, and how it can lead to the wrong messages being taken to heart.

I wonder how Orlando will work on this one and develop Ian and Kana over the next five issues. I really hope he'll manage it and then get to explore more of this "Dark Age" of DC.
    I'm all in on this one based on Orlando alone. He's one of the most promising writers DC has. His Midnigher stuff wowed me. His Supergirl and JLA stuff was more traditional and tame, which is understandable given that they are high profile properties. I'm hoping he gets into some complex issues here, since that's what he's great at, and it looks like he's doing exactly that. One thing I liked about the Immortal Men by Tynion is that the lead character wasn't particularly traditionally likable, and I love that Orlando is doing the same thing here. DC has too many paragons and I'm excited to read about some flawed characters.

I dunno, I just can't take this book seriously once I realized War Cry is wearing a giant "W" on his face ...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This was a let down. Maybe I had too high of expectations.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.

The preview for issue 2 is out, and I really, really dig the art and the tone of the story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I'm all in on this one based on Orlando alone. He's one of the most promising writers DC has. His Midnigher stuff wowed me. His Supergirl and JLA stuff was more traditional and tame, which is understandable given that they are high profile properties. I'm hoping he gets into some complex issues here, since that's what he's great at, and it looks like he's doing exactly that. One thing I liked about the Immortal Men by Tynion is that the lead character wasn't particularly traditionally likable, and I love that Orlando is doing the same thing here. DC has too many paragons and I'm excited to read about some flawed characters.
    Thank you for the takeaway in the post! It has made me want to check out Electric Warriors now!

I loved Orlando's work, especially in his JLA and its lead up. I can see the notion of it being necessarily comparatively "tame", particularly due to Batman's presence potentially mandating not rocking the boat too much, but I think Orlando did excellently even in spite of that, and his characters, namely non-Bat ones, really hit the lottery in a lot of ways (Frost, Atom, The Ray, to name a few, and even his Lobo was nuanced and tolerable fo me!). I miss it, and I felt it got far too much flak during its run. Also I'm happy to find someone else who enjoyed The Immortal Men, as short-lived as it was. And I agree that Caden Park wasn't your conventionally "likeable" protagonist, but he was genuine and believable enough that he wasn't unlikeable, either, and was able to grow and progress into something greater.

Really, I appreciate this post, Daniel22!

By the way, and I highlighted on the spoiler, but does anyone know which of the spoiler was?

spoilers:
    Since that Legend of Tomorrow mini really did Jason Rusch so wrong, I've been apprehensive of any contemporary Firestorm appearances. I'd try not to make it a deal breaker, but I'm just wondering if that's supposed to be Ronnie w/ Stein, or something of Jason.
    end of spoilers

The preview for next week issue 3 is out, and it hints at something really big coming... : https://www.newsarama.com/43432-warc...iors-3.html#s7

issue 3 packed quite a lot of punch.

I've the feeling that Firestorm's role will be fully revealed soon and that the last three issues of this mini will spark something great.

I really like what Orlando is doing with those brand new characters and brand new corner of the DCU, and I would really, really, love to see them pop elsewhere, even just as cameo or past legends.

If (when?) a new Legion of Superheroes book get out, I would love to see War Cry, Deep Dweller, Serene and the like hailed as great figures from the past, like Superman.

I just read issue 4 and... Damn, it's powerful. I was so sad, even if it was predictable, to see the last page.

For a mini, it does a great job not only introducing new characters but developing their relationships.

Serene and Inceptor, in particular, are really touching.