Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman +Justice League Dark crossover “Witching Hour” and JLD #1 Preview

Is that "Silver Banshee" mode her new power?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Finally! Diana gets her own crossover... I just wish it included a few other high-profile comics.

I like Hecate as the villain, though I'm still not interested in the Justice League Dark lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Finally! Diana gets her own crossover... I just wish it included a few other high-profile comics.

I like Hecate as the villain, though I'm still not interested in the Justice League Dark lineup.
    I wasn’t too excited about the line up either, but Diana actually has a 2nd book. I have to support.

Part one, WONDER WOMAN AND JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: THE WITCHING HOUR #1, with art by Jesus Merino, sets the tone for the Wonder Woman-centered event. In this 48-page debut one-shot, Hecate, the witch-goddess of magic, always knew a day would come when the monsters she stole her magic from would return. Now she must activate the Witchmarked, humans within whom she secreted vast stores of power. This hits Justice League Dark especially hard: one of the most powerful of the Witchmarked turns out to be Wonder Woman! WONDER WOMAN AND JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK: THE WITCHING HOUR #1 is on sale October 3.

WONDER WOMAN #56, with art by Emanuela Lupacchino and Ray McCarthy, pushes part two of “The Witching Hour” into new, magical, territory. After barely escaping its first encounter with Hecate, the Justice League Dark knows that she’ll be back for the power inside Wonder Woman! But what if Diana could tap into that power herself? Would she be a match for the evil witch-goddess? WONDER WOMAN #56 hits shelves October 10.

Part three, on sale October 17, is JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #4 with art by series regulars Alvaro Martinez and Raul Fernandez. Everything the Justice League Dark thought they knew about Wonder Woman and Hecate has proven to be wrong...and the Parliament of Trees is about to pay the price! Hecate knows this world isn’t strong enough to resist the Otherkind, so she’s going to burn it down and replace it with a world of her own...starting with that ancient grove!

Emanuela Lupacchino and Ray McCarthy return on October 24 for “The Witching Hour” part four in WONDER WOMAN #57. As Hecate’s new world is born, Wonder Woman is under the goddess’ total control! This is magic’s darkest hour—one of the most powerful magicians of all time may not survive!

The Witching Hour” concludes in a 48-page finale on October 31! In JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK AND WONDER WOMAN: THE WITCHING HOUR #1 with art by Jesus Merino, Zatanna battles for Wonder Woman’s soul—and the rest of the Justice League Dark battle for their lives! Hecate is more powerful than the Greek Gods...and no matter who wins, the Earth will lose its chance of surviving the war that’s coming!

This sounds pretty damn epic. No wonder they kept hyping up Diana and Zatanna's relationship here. They'll have a huge bond after this.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

So I guess Wonder Woman now has a magic-based supermode courtesy of Hecate, only it doesn't look pleasant...

Zatanna doing a show in anything but her classic outfit feels weird.

You know, of all the new Justice League books the only one I was interested in was Justice League Dark. Doing a crossover 4 issues in, though? No thanks. Not only is it not allowing a book to find it's legs, it's putting a burden on any reader interested in it to now buy 4 additional books in October for it. At least give the reader a chance to see if they like the book before throwing that on them.

Sorry. Rant over. Both companies do it more than they should. It gets frustrating. Really kills an interest in a new series.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I like it only because it gives the opportunity to maybe get more readers to jump on WW. A selfish reason to support an early crossover, but man does this title need it. Maybe it doesn't work but I like the attempt.

Incredible Member

So one of Wonder Woman's most famous rogues is a witch, and Wonder Woman has a crossover event titled: "The Witching Hour." However, somehow Circe is not the big bad in this story. Interesting. Beside from that, this does seem interesting, and I hope since Hecate is Circe's mom in Greek myth that this can also be used as backstory for Circe and her rivalry with Wonder Woman. Looking forward to reading this in October.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Diana fighting yet another public domain god? No thanks. I'll save my money for Snyder's Justice League that features Cheetah.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm way more interested in JLD than I should be for some reason, even though I don't love Tynion.

This crossover does sound pretty cool. I hate one shots specifically for a crossover though, especially multiple one shots. I'll probably check it out since WW seems to be at the center of it.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    So one of Wonder Woman's most famous rogues is a witch, and Wonder Woman has a crossover event titled: "The Witching Hour." However, somehow Circe is not the big bad in this story. Interesting. Beside from that, this does seem interesting, and I hope since Hecate is Circe's mom in Greek myth that this can also be used as backstory for Circe and her rivalry with Wonder Woman. Looking forward to reading this in October.
    I was just about to post this. Considering what Perez did Post Crisis with Circe and Hecate, it feels weird not to have Circe be apart of this.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I was just about to post this. Considering what Perez did Post Crisis with Circe and Hecate, it feels weird not to have Circe be apart of this.
    She has to be if it's going to have any credibility. She can be off the table and not appear, but as the architect of two past WW crossovers and with her connection to Hecate she has to be mentioned at least.

Hm, I don't know if I see Rucka's version of Circe being a part of this.