Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'll be happy if we finally get a lineup with just Cyclops, Phoenix, Storm, and Wolverine. I'm still shocked it never happened to coincide with any of the first trilogy.

Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine and Storm should always be on the the main team. Love these 4.

That is a dated looking teaser. Really hope we're moving away from a bland, less fashion-oriented aesthetic (ie the Gold costumes).

Uncanny Xmen- Lead Rogue
    Xmen Black - Leads Cable & Mags
    Xmen White- Lead Emma Frost
    Xmen Green- Lead Polaris

With 2 or 3 of this annoucement all be happy

Too me the teaser is either X-Men Silver now that the Weapon X are mostly baddies again or Uncanny, either way that teaser gives me Singer movie vibes
    hopefully no matter what it is, Storm is the leader again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Plus Bleeding Cool said they'd announce Uncanny X-Men book.
    I'm not even sure why that would be a big deal. I mean, other than it being the adjective they've used the longest. But it never really meant anything. It's not like "Uncanny" is routinely the "flagship title". That usually would be whichever title ends up getting the most buzz (in the early 2000s it was New X-Men. Later, it was Whedon's newly launched "Astonishing" etc). And it's a word that people in real life rarely use. And yet, people want Uncanny back and make fun of the color titles despite being a breath of fresh air in terms of Marvel's naming conventions. I guess I'm just noticing now how much fans like longevity for longevity's sake.

Anyway, it's probably just a regular X-Men panel where they announce new titles and creative teams. They do those a lot.

Uncanny is wanted by fans because it’s when the franchise was at its greatest (the Claremont era) and the word is an iconic part of the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm not even sure why that would be a big deal. I mean, other than it being the adjective they've used the longest. But it never really meant anything. It's not like "Uncanny" is routinely the "flagship title". That usually would be whichever title ends up getting the most buzz (in the early 2000s it was New X-Men. Later, it was Whedon's newly launched "Astonishing" etc). And it's a word that people in real life rarely use. And yet, people want Uncanny back and make fun of the color titles despite being a breath of fresh air in terms of Marvel's naming conventions. I guess I'm just noticing now how much fans like longevity for longevity's sake.

Anyway, it's probably just a regular X-Men panel where they announce new titles and creative teams. They do those a lot.
    Because the adjectives are a core part of Marvel Books...Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, etc etc. It's not just about longevity, it's about the fact that this is a Marvel thing and something we Marvel fans like. It's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat99 View Post
    Because the adjectives are a core part of Marvel Books...Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, etc etc. It's not just about longevity, it's about the fact that this is a Marvel thing and something we Marvel fans like. It's fun!
    Three of those examples aren't in publication and Fantastic really shouldn't count as an adjective. My personal stance is that a) the colours are as fun, if not more so than adjectives but more importantly b) the colours give a much clearer sense of identity to a book than whichever adjective is picked. Part of that is because of how new they are, but being able to refer to teams by colour is really convenient.

Talking about Wood's X-Men from Marvel Now you had to either refer to it as 'Adjectiveless' or 'Storm's Ad-Hoc, All-Female X-Team', neither of which are particularly catchy. The colours are fun, they're good for the brand and they're good for general cohesion. I say let them stay as long as they want to.

Sure, I'd like an Uncanny title for nostalgia's sake (and anniversary issues, like c'mon, we should be at least at 650 by now), but when was the last time a story actually called the group the Uncanny X-Men, as a point of differentiation? Outside of the logo in the speech bubble gimmick, it just doesn't happen. Meanwhile, if you mention either Blue or Gold teams, people get what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Three of those examples aren't in publication and Fantastic really shouldn't count as an adjective. My personal stance is that a) the colours are as fun, if not more so than adjectives but more importantly b) the colours give a much clearer sense of identity to a book than whichever adjective is picked. Part of that is because of how new they are, but being able to refer to teams by colour is really convenient.

Talking about Wood's X-Men from Marvel Now you had to either refer to it as 'Adjectiveless' or 'Storm's Ad-Hoc, All-Female X-Team', neither of which are particularly catchy. The colours are fun, they're good for the brand and they're good for general cohesion. I say let them stay as long as they want to.

Sure, I'd like an Uncanny title for nostalgia's sake (and anniversary issues, like c'mon, we should be at least at 650 by now), but when was the last time a story actually called the group the Uncanny X-Men, as a point of differentiation? Outside of the logo in the speech bubble gimmick, it just doesn't happen. Meanwhile, if you mention either Blue or Gold teams, people get what you mean.
    They may not be in publication, but that wasn't my point. My point was that it's the Marvel way. This isn't even something you can argue, it's a freaking fact, not an opinion. But, I guess people here will argue anything for the sake of feeling "heard". :eyeroll:

That said, I don't disagree with what you're saying about the colors (nor did I in my post above), so you don't need to sell me on it. I don't mind the colors. I was just saying that it's the Marvel way to use adjectives, they're fun, and it makes sense that Marvel fans like them.
    Last edited by Shadowcat99; 07-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.

I think launching an Uncanny title would probably undermine sales of other books, if they continue without a cohesive franchise narrative.

Marvel wants money. Fans want to save money. If Marvel launches Uncanny, it's a defacto flagship, so buyers can just pick up the one book and follow the XMen as a group.

If you add sales for Red, Gold and Blue together, with two bimonthly, it's far more than Uncanny alone would bring.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 07-19-2018 at 12:37 PM.

BANNED

Yep. Why go puttin' all your eggs in one basket, when ya can spread (and milk) the wealth. Astonishing & Red stay monthly, while Black & Silver replace Blue & Gold, still at twice a month. That's 6 books per, and even at only 30K each on average, 180,000 units total that are moved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Yep. Why go puttin' all your eggs in one basket, when ya can spread (and milk) the wealth. Astonishing & Red stay monthly, while Black & Silver replace Blue & Gold, still at twice a month. That's 6 books per, and even at only 30K each on average, 180,000 units total that are moved.
    I've never understood why some fans want titles with the majority of A-List characters in one place, in regards to the Avengers, X-Men & the Justice League. Shoving them all into one book just means it's gonna be crammed with potential and not enough room to tell stories with all the characters. Spreading them out across 2+ titles is a better way of doing it I think, in that readers can pick & choose which title/s they pick up. It also means if the creative team sucks with one title (XMEN GOLD) then they're not forced to pick it up for the sake of reading about their faves.

In regards to Uncanny, I want it back eventually, but not if it's at the expense of other great books. X-Men Red & Astonishing X-Men continue to hold my interest, and I'm interested in the prospect of X-Men Black.

BANNED

Totally concur, KT13. Plus, it provides a platform to highlight & showcase less familiar characters, in order to try & build their fanbases. It's like a testing and/or proving ground, so to speak, for creators & TPTB to see who & what works. For eXample, a Wolverine type character can sure help raise the awareness & profile of, a Sunfire type. And I'm ALL for that, as I REALLY like, new things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Totally concur, KT13. Plus, it provides a platform to highlight & showcase less familiar characters, in order to try & build their fanbases. It's like a testing and/or proving ground, so to speak, for creators & TPTB to see who & what works. For eXample, a Wolverine type character can sure help raise the awareness & profile of, a Sunfire type. And I'm ALL for that, as I REALLY like, new things.
    Exactly. If writers had stuck with essentially the same line-up for the X-Men, characters like Magik would have never become as big of a character as she is now. And we certainly would have never gotten more variation when it comes to gender-balancing on teams, and having more persons of color. And I think having fresh faces among the veterans means we're continually getting exposure to new relationships and dynamics.

I would even tolerate Wolverine on an X-Team if it meant we got Sunfire, Frenzy, Bishop, Armor etc. in the spotlight

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Exactly. If writers had stuck with essentially the same line-up for the X-Men, characters like Magik would have never become as big of a character as she is now. And we certainly would have never gotten more variation when it comes to gender-balancing on teams, and having more persons of color. And I think having fresh faces among the veterans means we're continually getting exposure to new relationships and dynamics.

I would even tolerate Wolverine on an X-Team if it meant we got Sunfire, Frenzy, Bishop, Armor etc. in the spotlight
    PREACH! This especially, is VITAL, and the life's blood of X-Men. And God, YES, to your last suggestion.