Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The origin of humanity and super powers has been told in Jack Kirby's Eternals series. Why change the canon now?
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Of course, it's only been changed if you believe Loki. But, even if it's been changed, the Celestials still were responsible, just not how we imagined.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

I don't know why everyone seems to dislike this book. It's entertaining as hell to me...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I don't know why everyone seems to dislike this book. It's entertaining as hell to me...
    Same here! Glad I'm not alone!

I do suspect that if the same scripts to these issues, with not a word changed, were drawn by someone like, say, Esad Ribic, more people would be saying how epic this book is but the style of McGuinness' art is an instant turn-off for some. I do get that, to a point. But while some label it as kiddie or cartoonish, I say it's fun and bombastic.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-19-2018 at 04:25 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I do suspect that if the same scripts to these issues, with not a word changed, were drawn by someone like, say, Esad Ribic, more people would be saying how epic this book is but the style of McGuinness' art is an instant turn-off for some. I do get that, to a point. But while some label it as kiddie or cartoonish, I say it's fun and bombastic.
    Haha, maybe.

I'm actually not a huge Ed McGuinness fan myself, his art is ok but nothing too special IMO. Apparently David Marquez will take over starting from #8 though and him I really like.

Extraordinary Member

Odin in a fucking Destroyer Armor can't handle a group of Celestials.
    And now they just casually grow to giant size so they can put up a fight? What is the point of sizes anyway?
    The Executioner is planet-size, grab your axe Thor!

Extraordinary Member

And the black goon stuff, like 4 billion years ago, any comic mentions the exact birth time of Elder Gods, it was around that time as well I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Does anyone remember the film Prometheus? The engineer in the beginning of the film is actually on Earth and he drinks the black liquid and immediately begins to disintegrate and his DNA is then spread through the water he falls in. This is integrated into the Earth's ecosystem and through evolution, man is born with this DNA, which explains Human life? Not saying Aaron ripped it off but man was it similar....
    Honestly, if Aarons took any inspiration it was from Marvel's own history. Especially Earth X, where the concept was a Celestial was gestating inside the planet to breed and superpowers in humans was a natural defense mechanism to protect said Celestial baby.

I'm almost expecting Galactus to show up at the end of this and eat the host or horde or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Same here! Glad I'm not alone!

I'm the exact opposite of that. The art is the only plus imo.

Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

I enjoyed it. A lot of big and fun moments at a breakneck pace was exciting for myself but I get how the opposite feeling can occur. I like everyone gets something to do and good lines sprinkled throughout the issue. Although with the nature of so much happening some characters (Panther and Marvel) end up getting the short end of the stick. Yay for (She-)Hulk having a none auto-pilot Hulk/growling dialogue piece!
    I'm guessing similar to the teleport to the sun grenades most of the Giant-Size Avengers aren't going to be as effective fighting against the Dark Celestials. Regardless, I'll always enjoy a Kaiju fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    I enjoyed it. A lot of big and fun moments at a breakneck pace was exciting for myself but I get how the opposite feeling can occur. I like everyone gets something to do and good lines sprinkled throughout the issue. Although with the nature of so much happening some characters (Panther and Marvel) end up getting the short end of the stick. Yay for (She-)Hulk having a none auto-pilot Hulk/growling dialogue piece!
    I'm guessing similar to the teleport to the sun grenades most of the Giant-Size Avengers aren't going to be as effective fighting against the Dark Celestials. Regardless, I'll always enjoy a Kaiju fight.
    Really depends on whatever Tony's packing in the GK II. Too bad he can't just go back and get the Aspirant one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Really depends on whatever Tony's packing in the GK II. Too bad he can't just go back and get the Aspirant one.
    Yeah. That was a badass armor. It was built to take on Celestials iirc.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Astonishing Member

The first issue to dissapoint me

What I liked

Ghost rider is fantastic
    Nice interactions between jen and thor
    Strange calling himself sorcerer supreme

What I disliked

More huzzah from thor, it feels so utterly fake to me
    Loki saying bringeth it on to strange, again felt very fake and forced
    Not liking this version of the celestials back story at all, nor its knock on for humanity, might be a ruse by Loki but ill take it as it's presented
    referring to humanity as gods vomit
    celestials being killed by space bugs was a shark jump for me, I found it ridiculous

The art seems bold and colourful but very lacking in detail and finesse, it's ok but I don't find it anything special
    script feels very forced in some scenes

this was a poor issue in the run so far for me, I don't like the way the premise is going nor how thor is being written at all

ill hold on for the end of the arc but the scripting is really irritating me as is some characterisation

ghost rider is a highlight

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Honestly, if Aarons took any inspiration it was from Marvel's own history. Especially Earth X, where the concept was a Celestial was gestating inside the planet to breed and superpowers in humans was a natural defense mechanism to protect said Celestial baby.

I'm almost expecting Galactus to show up at the end of this and eat the host or horde or something.
    Wasn't this idea explored in the black galaxay saga in thors book some years ago iirc

That seemed to be about celestials being made as I recall?

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Wasn't this idea explored in the black galaxay saga in thors book some years ago iirc

That seemed to be about celestials being made as I recall?
    Yeah, a Celestial's birth was focused within a galaxy and destroyed the galaxy on its way out.

The Earth X one (which was out of continuity just to throw that out there in case anybody thinks it might be a retcon) had Celestials gestating inside of planets, which was the mysterious energy Galactus sought out to consume. The Watcher was meant to be a warning system/deterrent for Galactus to prevent his feedings.