Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sensational C View Post
    I enjoyed it. A lot of big and fun moments at a breakneck pace was exciting for myself but I get how the opposite feeling can occur. I like everyone gets something to do and good lines sprinkled throughout the issue. Although with the nature of so much happening some characters (Panther and Marvel) end up getting the short end of the stick. Yay for (She-)Hulk having a none auto-pilot Hulk/growling dialogue piece!
    I'm guessing similar to the teleport to the sun grenades most of the Giant-Size Avengers aren't going to be as effective fighting against the Dark Celestials. Regardless, I'll always enjoy a Kaiju fight.
    Agreed but we don't know what Tony is packing in that armour, Ghost Rider is in a body of a Celestial and the blood of Ymir gave She-Hulk and Thor power boost as well as the size increase and if Carol, Tchall and Steve join in the fight from the horde power I think the odds are much better for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm just tired of seeing the Celestials get nerfed. I don't get why some of you are down on McGuinness. The dude is a legit star and Marvel is lucky to have him. I have seen what passes for art on some Marvel titles and it is looking pretty dire out there Nothing against Marquez but he is second tier and isn't good enough to keep me reading Aaron's stories.
    I think McGuiness is made for an Avengers book. He brings that Saturday morning cartoon vibe for the story, and I mean that in a good way.

Celestial look to be getting mobbed. To be expected I suppose but yeah, they are going down way to easy.

I think this killed what little mystique they had left.

BANNED

Marvel is starting to hit DBZ levels now where "there is always another more powerful character"

Celestials are not the strongest now, there are more powerful beings

BANNED

I'm loving this book and ghost rider is just so good

Ed is such a legend and his art is perfect for this, just wish he could do the whole issues.

This is the best the avengers have been in years.

I just don't care for the run so far. Arron has been influenced by the MCU too much, because there was way too many jokes -- to the point where I didn't recognize Dr. Strong or (She-)Hulk or was annoyed by Ironman and Thor. The only ones that felt right were Cap and BP.
    But the main thing is I HATE what Marvel is doing to the Celestials and the Enternals. Why must Marvel rewrite everything about every character's origin? And why the hell would these corrupted space gods need Loki for anything. And why would Loki want to help them destroy Earth? ...Mankind? And when has the Celestials have bodily fluid to ooze out? Wasn't they made up of psychedelic cosmic energy? That's what I remember from Mighty Thor 387-388.

3 out of 5 stars

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Yeah, a Celestial's birth was focused within a galaxy and destroyed the galaxy on its way out.

The Earth X one (which was out of continuity just to throw that out there in case anybody thinks it might be a retcon) had Celestials gestating inside of planets, which was the mysterious energy Galactus sought out to consume. The Watcher was meant to be a warning system/deterrent for Galactus to prevent his feedings.
    Yeah I really liked that idea

Not in continuity sure, but liked that whole idea loads

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I just don't care for the run so far. Arron has been influenced by the MCU too much, because there was way too many jokes -- to the point where I didn't recognize Dr. Strong or (She-)Hulk or was annoyed by Ironman and Thor. The only ones that felt right were Cap and BP.
    But the main thing is I HATE what Marvel is doing to the Celestials and the Enternals. Why must Marvel rewrite everything about every character's origin? And why the hell would these corrupted space gods need Loki for anything. And why would Loki want to help them destroy Earth? ...Mankind? And when has the Celestials have bodily fluid to ooze out? Wasn't they made up of psychedelic cosmic energy? That's what I remember from Mighty Thor 387-388.

3 out of 5 stars
    I've had the view for a while that current writers, under editorial authority sure, seem to restructure characters and mythos history any way they like

Now that might have always been so, but I read a lot of the jim shooter, DeFalco and gruenwald period and it didn't feel that way there, for better or worse

it feels a lot looser now

Which I suppose means they can be as creative as they want, but to me it feels like the universe mythos is very thin these days

at least between the books, within their own books it's no real difference I feel

It coukd be a deliberate method the editors run with

It coukd be they just don't notice or care

I could be totally wrong

but that's how it's felt for some time to me

I wonder if it's a knock on from secret wars

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I've had the view for a while that current writers, under editorial authority sure, seem to restructure characters and mythos history any way they like

Now that might have always been so, but I read a lot of the jim shooter, DeFalco and gruenwald period and it didn't feel that way there, for better or worse

it feels a lot looser now

Which I suppose means they can be as creative as they want, but to me it feels like the universe mythos is very thin these days

at least between the books, within their own books it's no real difference I feel

It coukd be a deliberate method the editors run with

It coukd be they just don't notice or care

I could be totally wrong

but that's how it's felt for some time to me

I wonder if it's a knock on from secret wars
    This just seems to be the style for a while now, particularly at Brevoort's office. Star writers get to do what they want without having to be held back by what other writers are doing. It's how you got Hickman and Remender basically writing the Avengers at the exact same time and never acknowledging each other's books. Nobody refers to other books unless they want to, so Hickman for example took the one thing he liked from previous Avengers comics (the Illuminati) and ignored everything else.

It is also probably part of the relaunch culture at Marvel in the last decade. If you're going to start a series over again with a new #1 every time a new writer takes over, everything becomes a jumping-on point and it doesn't really matter if it lines up with what came before. One of the few things that makes me prefer legacy numbering is that it creates some pressure to make the new run seem like it grows out of the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yeah I really liked that idea

Not in continuity sure, but liked that whole idea loads
    Yeah, it was kinda cool. I liked the whole "cosmic food chain" concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I can totally see the Celestials just running with this mistake and taking credit for it when they can. That's not only less humiliating for them, but it also explains why they kept coming back. The whole thing was still an experiment to them, just now it was a very different type of experiment.
    It's a reasonable No-Prize to explain the 2nd-4th hosts, but it doesn't explain the Deviants or the Eternals...and Ymir's blood not being used until now? Huh? And how is it better than (mentioned above) all the Skyfathers' life force in the Destroyer? And if it is better, why didn't Odin use it on the 4th host? This story doesn't make any sense

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    It's a reasonable No-Prize to explain the 2nd-4th hosts, but it doesn't explain the Deviants or the Eternals...and Ymir's blood not being used until now? Huh? And how is it better than (mentioned above) all the Skyfathers' life force in the Destroyer? And if it is better, why didn't Odin use it on the 4th host? This story doesn't make any sense
    There's nothing to say it's better. It's basically a Hail Mary option, one that Odin doesn't even think will do much good.

Fantastic Member

I think think this secret origin answers why earth is so special compared to the rest of the universe (at least in terms of super powered individuals). This question of why earth is so special has been brought up several times across various comics and I like that there is a "reason" for that myself.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    Well, yeah, it isn't perfect.

I guess you could argue that the Celestials didn't want to waste a perfectly good opportunity to run some experiments, which would explain why the Celestials kept coming back. They wanted to see how this worked. It would also explain why the Mad Celestial was so mad at the normal Celestials, who would have just left him there to suffer, even coming back occasionally and never helping him. We've seen Celestials be pretty petty in the past, so this isn't unprecedented behavior from them.

As for the giant juice stuff...I don't know, seems like Odin probably has a ton of ancient weapons in his closest that he just doesn't have the mind to keep track of. That sounds like Odin.
    Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    I think think this secret origin answers why earth is so special compared to the rest of the universe (at least in terms of super powered individuals). This question of why earth is so special has been brought up several times across various comics and I like that there is a "reason" for that myself.
    I guess this does explain quite a bit, but at the same time, it feels sort of half-done. I liked that we didn't really know why Earth was so special, but this isn't the worst explanation.

I do want to point out one thing we've been trying to figure out on the Loki forum, and there is the question of if Loki might be poisoned from being in such close proximity to the Mad Celestial, which might explain some of his behavior.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

This issue (and arc) was horrible... Aaron is literally ignoring all established Marvel canon for his own needs. Celestials are established as beings which can literally destroy galaxies, but apparently they need Loki’s help and an entire army to destroy Earth, and get killed by little space bugs which Black Panther can punch out? Aaron wrote Celestials being unharmed inside the core of the Sun but now they can be pierced by a few megatons which is like a nuke? Iron Man struggles to beat the Hulk no matter what armor he builds, but now he can build one to kill Celestials (keep in mind that the Hulk’s most impressive power showing was destroying a planet, while Celestials casually destroy galaxies)? This all reads like bad fan fiction. The only saving grace of this shitshow is the art. McGuinness kills it like always. I don’t understand how Aaron even continues to find work at Marvel at this point.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    This issue (and arc) was horrible... Aaron is literally ignoring all established Marvel canon for his own needs. Celestials are established as beings which can literally destroy galaxies, but apparently they need Loki’s help and an entire army to destroy Earth, and get killed by little space bugs which Black Panther can punch out? Aaron wrote Celestials being unharmed inside the core of the Sun but now they can be pierced by a few megatons which is like a nuke? Iron Man struggles to beat the Hulk no matter what armor he builds, but now he can build one to kill Celestials (keep in mind that the Hulk’s most impressive power showing was destroying a planet, while Celestials casually destroy galaxies)? This all reads like bad fan fiction. The only saving grace of this shitshow is the art. McGuinness kills it like always. I don’t understand how Aaron even continues to find work at Marvel at this point.
    Iron Man knocked the HulK out with his regular armor before. I think it was in Avengers back in the day. It was his gold and red armor with the hip discs. He put all of the power he had in the suit for the punch.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark